Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

COT sell signal on gold (10/01/07)

Alex Roslin at Kitco Commentary flips to a sell signal on his commitment of traders indicator (COT).

article

For novices reading along, the COT is a sentiment indicator based on what commercials are doing, vs. what the speculators and small fish are doing. The Roslin interpretation turned bullish in May 2007, so that gives an indication as to the time frame for those wanting to take or ignore the signal. As with all indicators, none are 100%. However, sentiment is often useful in calling market turns, and is definitely useful in terms of signaling big danger for those that remain in.

Personally, I sold my trading position in GDX early Monday, before I read the Kitco article. I sold my GLD trading position a couple of days ago. Good luck to those that remain in the gold market.

Comments

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Correction shake up is coming. I have been in gold since 1999 so I'm not going anywhere, but if I was a day trader I would pull out for the short term.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sold all I had on Saturday!

Now, we'll wait and see if I was right. Probably the best time to buy based on
    my previous market timing adventures!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    For historical purposes, the NY gold close was $748, overseas gold is down $7 as of this writing.

If the sell signal is valid, some intermediate term downside targets would be support at $700 or the lower 50-day-moving average around $680. Again, nothing is 100% and this is for entertainment purpose only, not advice. Those playing with real money, best know what they are doing, or best be advised by someone that knows what they are doing.

As always, reading a coin board for investment information is often a fools game. The information posted here, including what I offer, should always be double checked for veracity and accuracy from other sources.

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Let me get this straight. If you all get these sell advisories from on high, and you sell, and the price therefore goes down, do you feel like you accomplished something? Seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just curious. Been watching your little gold game here, and seems like a pattern is emerging. No one does anything on their own, do they?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    I sold my interest Friday. I heard that central banks are looking to push down gold prices once it hints $750 to make U.S. Government bonds more attractive to foreign investor but who knows how true that is. It is better to sell too early than sell too late.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    What about rare gold? Will it follow spot?
  • Options

<< <i>Let me get this straight. If you all get these sell advisories from on high, and you sell, and the price therefore goes down, do you feel like you accomplished something? Seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just curious. Been watching your little gold game here, and seems like a pattern is emerging. No one does anything on their own, do they? >>

What is your question? I sold before I read the Kitco article.

Those playing for keeps use whatever means are available to them. If it works, I will listen. If someone makes pointless, useless comments, I tend to ignore them, even though they can be entertaining at times.

• Options

<< <i>Alex Roslin at Kitco Commentary flips to a sell signal on his commitment of traders indicator (COT).

article

For novices reading along, the COT is a sentiment indicator based on what commercials are doing, vs. what the speculators and small fish are doing. The Roslin interpretation turned bullish in May 2007, so that gives an indication as to the time frame for those wanting to take or ignore the signal. As with all indicators, none are 100%. However, sentiment is often useful in calling market turns, and is definitely useful in terms of signaling big danger for those that remain in.

Personally, I sold my trading position in GDX early Monday, before I read the Kitco article. I sold my GLD trading position a couple of days ago. Good luck to those that remain in the gold market. >>

COT still bullish on silver, although it appears to be taking a hit in Asia as well. I may try and ride this one out with SLV.....may as well give back some of what has been made in the last few weeksimage
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    Some buy on weakness and sell on strength. Others just buy steadily and hold. Then some emotional ones buy near peak prices and then sell at a loss. Which one are you?
  • Options

<< <i>Some buy on weakness and sell on strength. Others just buy steadily and hold. Then some emotional ones buy near peak prices and then sell at a loss. Which one are you? >>

Hah! I have done all of the above at some time or another, since 2003 I have been an accumulator and it has worked well so far.
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Some buy on weakness and sell on strength. Others just buy steadily and hold. Then some emotional ones buy near peak prices and then sell at a loss. Which one are you? >>

Some buy high, and sell higher.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file