Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Watching the Long Beach Auction, some things are holding true.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Despite what some naysayers of late have said, So-Called Dollars seem to have some air under them. In fact, I've been watching the auction at HALive and notice quite a bit of similarity between these interesting medals and more mainstream U.S. Coinage items.

1. The rare and highly sought items continue to sell very strong with active bidding.
2. Common items sell in the same, much ballyhooed "bifurcated" fashion as coins: circulated and lower MS grades sell cheap, the higher graded and more eye-appealing items tend to command more attention and higher prices.
3. Apparently collectors of SC$'s for the most part have done their homework and can look past the auction description's sometimes wrong information, finding low-hanging fruit.
4. Attractive designs tend to draw attention and more mediocre "advertisement/storecard" looking pieces don't.

I also had hoped to get the opinions of other members who may have used the HALive bidding feature. I have a forum member representative on the floor but decided to bid on a few items from home. My bids got through but I didn't win anything...................yet. My guy on the floor helped me with one item and there are a few yet to be offered that I'm hopeful he'll win for me. The home-bidding feature is nice and allows for extra competition, good for the consignors and bad for the bidders, but it's a good thing overall. So, what did you win, what are your thoughts on my four points and on the bidding from home??

Thanks.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Your description of the market for SCDs is quite accurate.

It is a two tier market . Medals in attractive high grade,

nice design and scarcity, go well over estimates. Weak, ugly and common

coins are weak. The market has evolved from collecting every so/so medal

to a more coin oriented selection process. It would appear that silver medals

have become highly desired as well as medals that are more scarce then reported.

It is hoped that the new HK book will help bring collectors more up to date on true

scarcity as well as a better listing of more varieties.

In the Heritage auction, I won 4 lots and I feel lucky to have done so. I lost out on the

other 28 lots I bid on. On a number of them, I had the earlier bid on the lot but they award

same bid to the live in person bidding. I just hate that system.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I won the following medals:

Salvation Army HK-548

Alexander Centennial HK 510

1904 LA Purchase HK-299 ( This medal appears under graded by a point)

1894 Trans Miss HK-283 (This is a really flashy PL specimen)
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Abe, were you in the auction room doing your bidding?? if so, can you share your insights and impressions of the action??
  • Options
    No I wasn't. I bid from home. If I was there, I would have won

a whole bunch of lots. I tried to have a dealer bid for me, but he

was already booked with bids for other clients before I got to him.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I was bidding on a few things and got skunked! Oh well, there will be other auctions!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    I was bidding from home on the live auction. Really wanted the HK-638 Western Reserved and the HK-388 Taft Diaz Spanish rev. I was the underbidder but it got a bit to stiff.

I won two that I'm not as crazy about and that's probably because I paid to much. A HK-597 German American MS62 and a HK-868 Colorado Dollar AU58.

If there was any low hanging fruit I didn't see it. I'll feel better tomorrow after a little time passes image
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I spent considerable time setting up an Excel spreadsheet containing the auction information, the NGC pop reports showing the medals relative location (yellow-highlight), and SmallForest’s price guide figures.

This auction contained about 67 top-pop lots (red HK number) and about 63 secondary-pop lots (yellow HK). I knew there would be competition for the top-pop items, so I targeted my bidding primarily on the secondary-lot items. I was not able to attend the auction or bid live, so I placed all of my bids last night. I bid on a total of 73 lots and won 13. Eleven of these were the identified top/secondary pop items, so I picked up roughly 8.5% of the lots in this auction that met these criteria.

All in all, I think I did fairly well.image
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I consigned about 65 SCDs. Some did well, some didn't. The top stuff sold at a premium, the average stuff didn't. Overall, I did ok, but not as well as I had hoped. I got to the auction at the end of the series of SCDs and it appeared that a lot went to internet bidders (not live). There were some that were purchased off the floor, but there were only a handful of people in the room bidding.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised that the bidding didn't get carried away. I didn't see the absurd bids that I expected. Most things went fairly reasonably, and there were even few bargains that in retrospect I wish I'd bid on... :-}

tmot99, were you in the room when the Erie Canal in gold was hammered down? If there was activity on anything, I expect it was on that one...?
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was surprised that the bidding didn't get carried away. I didn't see the absurd bids that I expected. Most things went fairly reasonably, and there were even few bargains that in retrospect I wish I'd bid on... :-}

tmot99, were you in the room when the Erie Canal in gold was hammered down? If there was activity on anything, I expect it was on that one...? >>

No, I got here late and had other things to deal with. I saw the last of my stuff sell, and didn't stay around for the HK-1000+ to sell.
  • Options
    the biggest surprise for me was the HK-1/NGC MS61 and the HK-1000. the two combined sold for about the same as the HK-1/NGC MS60 last February. also, as i posted in another thread, there was the "keystroke error" bid on the HK-1001 of $525,000 which showed at HALive!!!! i wonder how many collectors viewed items and then bid online, leaving the auction room sparsely populated.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't at this auction but at the large cent auction the floor was much more active than the internet. Internet bidding was sometimes slow and a floor bidder who thought he had one an item got outbid once or twice.

Bear, if you need somone to bid for you at a future Long Beach auction you can always try me. I don't go to all of them but would be glad to if possible.

--Jerry
  • Options
    Thanks Jerry, I will take you up on that.
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file