Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2007 Turkey Red Thread

Did a search for Turkey Reds and found no posts sbout this years release. Kinda surprised.

Picked up 2 boxes tonight and although I know very little about the set, 1st box seemed pretty good. Really like the card design. Another set that will is worthy of going into pages.

No idea what if any SPs there are but the highlights of box 1 are:

AROD (Turkey Red back ??) Got the regular back one too. I asume that might be like the AG backs but scarcer since I only got 1 in the box)
Josh Beckett bat card (bat card???, bat card???)
Miguel Tejada jersey
bunch of different Mantles including one with the 52 Topps photo
2 Prominent American Leaders - Andrew Jackson and James Garfield
Vlad cabinet card
Dice K and Okajima rookies
Lincecum Rookie
1 Arod Road to 500 (yeah they're still doing these)
5 Chrome #to 1999 (Mantle, Andrew Miller rookie, Beckett and Jeter)
3 Chrome Refractor # to 999 (no one big)

gonna save the other box for the morning I think

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    If you pull any Nats or Pirates including base that don't want, Shoot me an PM.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Box 2

still no autos
    David Ortiz red silk 46/99
    Andrew Miller jersey
    Morgan Ensberg jersey
    2 refactors #999 (Jeter & Morneau)
    5 chrome # 1999 (Mantle)
    2 Turkey Red backs (AROD again and Chipper Jones)
    2 Dice-K rookies
    1 AROD
    2 Presidents (Carter and Taft)

• Options
    here's the SP list - looks like the Turkey Red backs are about 1 or 2 per box but there are only 15 of them, not a parallel of the whole set (Listed as the SP Variations)

SP's
    7, 22, 33, 43, 47, 62, 63, 66, 71, 73, 74, 82, 83, 89, 94, 101, 103, 106, 121, 123, 124, 128, 134, 135, 136, 139, 143, 146, 152, 165, 171, 174, 179, 182, 183
    SP Variations
    1, 15, 20, 25, 40, 56, 95, 105, 106, 110, 130, 150, 159, 180, 185

Also, Topps site lists the checklist as having 185 cards but I have a #186 Yovani Gallardo (must have been a late addition)
  • Options
    I bought a blaster tonight. I like the Perez painted cards, but the other computer-tweaked cards look terrible... and I hate the borders. So, I probably won't bother with the set.

But, I can't complain about what I got out of an 8-pack blaster:

A-Rod #20 Turkey Red Back
    3x Mantles 19, 77, 107
    Akinoria Iwamura RC #24 Chrome Parallel 270/1999
    Hanley Ramirez #TRCHR Chrome Refractor Autograph

Here's some scans

I love the look of the Mantles. Didn't bother scanning the Stengel/Mantle because these are loverly.

The Chromes don't scan worth a darn. But there's Hanley's scrawl.

Here's Aki chrome and A-Rod ad back. I scanned the backs at a lower DPI. I wiped the white specs off the Aki after scanning. Whoops!

Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    How about some scans?

Kevin
  • Options
    See above
  • Options
    Those President SP's are pretty cool.
  • Options
    here's a few scans:

the 2 Mantle Chromes #1999

imageimage

Randy Johnson Black refractor # 99
    Jeter and Lincecum chrome refractor #999
    imageimage

Ortiz Red Silk
  • Options
    Man, this set is tempting and I don't even have my A&G sets done yet. You Heritage guys are tempting me also. Can anyone give me $1000? image

• Options
    I know what you mean I am eyeing a case of this myself.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I went to Target today to check out the blasters...no A&G like I had imagined, but I wanted to try out the Turkey Red...none either. I was stuck with another shoddy Goudey blaster...I did get the Ruth and Bench Heads Up cards at least. I need to quit buying cards I don't enjoy, but sometimes you just want to rip.

Ross
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I have picked up 2 boxes so far. They base cards are great looking, not if sure if I like the chrome look though. I did notice that most of the chrome cards I received were off center a lot. I don't have all the cards with me, but some notable hits from my 2 boxes were a Rich Hill auto and JJ Hardy silk. I also received 3 game used cards, nothing great.

• Options
    Ok, It's official, I'm going to try this set. It doesn't look like too many people are interested in this set but maybe we can get some trade lists going.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    i have a markakis cabinet coming from ebay, i think the cards look sharp but haven't really seen them up close yet.
    i don't by much modern
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    I've got a bunch of singles to help anyone out. Picked up a couple more boxes yesterday.
    SPs are real hard to come by with these for some reason. There's only 35 but I still need about 25 of them after 5 boxes.
    Haven't sorted all my extras yet so maybe I was getting the same SPs over and over.
    One box had 12 Chromes including a black ref, 6 # to 999 and 6 # to 1999. would have rather had some SPs I needed in their place.
    Also pulled 3 different Turkey Red backs from the same box.
    Finally got an auto - Felix Pie

• Options
    Is there a reliable online checklist for this yet? SPs and inserts is what I'm after. I'm just curious as to what type of Frank Thomas issues are in this set. I'm really hoping on a silk, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    Are there any album pages or holders for the cabinet cards?
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    [hanging head]...yes, I'm doing this set as well. Still need to sort to figure out what I have, but will check back in with duplicates. Must stop, must stop.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I just bought two boxes today..nice stuff. If anyone needs anything let me know, Im probably not doing the set.

Thanks
    Kevin
  • Options
    I completed the set from last year and the year before. For some reason, I just don't like this years. It could be because Ginter stole a lot of bang. Any opinions either way?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That Mantle is the first set of scans on the left reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer was smoking with a bunch of people in his apartment and his face got all messed up from it.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I will be gettin in on this for sure. This is the product and Cracker Jack are what brought me back to modren baseball. I will post after I crack a couple hobby boxes this weekend.
  • Options
    Did Perez do these cards? That Jeter is a sin. Doesn't look even REMOTELY like him. Terrible job on that card! I personally feel that this product doesn't even come close to measuring up with A&G or Topps Heritage product lines and won't touch it.

kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    Got to agree with wem on what the cards look like. Bought a couple of blasters, why??, but the proportion is horrible on some of the players.
  • Options
    Well, so much for that. NO ONE has any of these around here. Now I'm having second thoughts. I may chase the A&G extended mini's instead.
  • Options
    I think that retail versions of these cards are just barely hitting the shelves. My local target had 5 or 6 blasters this morning.
  • Options
    Well, no one seems to like them because anytime I go to Target or wallyworld the shelves are stocked. I actually saw someone the other day put down a blaster and pick up a box of Fleer instead.
  • Options
    It's the borders. The godawful borders. Well, okay, the computer-generated cards also totally bite.

A lot of the Perez-painted cards are very nice though... and I actually REALLY like how they look on the cabinets... I guess, for me anyway, it's a matter of proportion. On a 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 card, those borders are HUGE and UGLY. On a 5x8 (?) cabinet, they don't take focus away from the artwork.

I wasn't a fan of the borders on the 05/06 sets either, but at least they were solid colors.

Also, just a pet-peeve--WHAT THE HECK IS CHROME/REFRACTOR DOING IN A RETRO SET?

Different border colors, I get. Silk cards, I get. Cards printed on wood, I get.

Turkey Reds with a glossy surface and laser-lights? I don't get that.
  • Options
    Is it just me or does Kenji Jojima have the same picture on everything this year?
  • Options

<< <i>
    Turkey Reds with a glossy surface and laser-lights? I don't get that. >>

Agreed. If I end up doing this set, it won't include refractors.

The 51 card cabinet set looks tempting. But I'd just pick those off of ebay.
  • Options
    Okay, my wife bought me 6 blasters of these things today. Brought them to me at work. At lunch I broke into them. NOTHING!!!! I'm finished with them. I'll have a list up soon of what I don't want, which will be most of them.
  • Options
    I absolutely love thse cards , I especially love the colors used .

I can't say I have pulled anything great yet though, but I'm used to that . . .LOL
  • Options
    I actually like the borders this year. They did the borders like the T9 boxers. I've always thought those were some of the most beautiful vintage cards. I think I'll finish my A&G sets before I decide to buy any though. Heritage might be here by then anyway!
  • Options
    The retail blasters seem really weak. I picked up 5 and only got 2 chrome and 1 game used out of all 5. Hobby seems the way to go with these.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Guys, I'm in the market for Turkey Red chrome Dodgers (regular, refractor & black refractor) and a Hong-Chi Kuo auto. LMK

Geordie
  • Options
    So, I finally found a blaster of Turkey Red while purchasing toiletries at Wal-Mart this afternoon. Nothing amazing, but about as good as you can hope for when dealing with a box of 8 packs and one's first venture into a product. It's been talked about, but I was amazed at how varied the quality of art for this set is. Some of the paintings are spot on, gorgeous...others leave much to be desired for.

So, I of course pulled some dinged corners and cards with flaking, but the ONE base card I really care about, the only with any surface issues was Frank Thomas...just my luck. He was sitting under a Barry Bonds, in the middle of the pack, and has a terrible surface ding. I've called attention to it in the scan.

Sorry for the dust on my scanner...I've been moving and it seems to have gotten dirty in the back of a moving truck...

• Options
    Just curious- does the Turkey Red numbering pick-up where it stopped last year?( I think it was in the 600s). Or did they go back to zero?
  • Options
    This is the first time I've purchased TR, but they're numbered 1 through 186ish I believe.
  • Options
    Had to stop in the local Hobby shop today to pick up some 9 pocket pages so I grabbed one pack of 07 Turkey Red. Got pretty lucky as I pulled a Griffey Jr Black Refractor #/99. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.
    "WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael
  • Options
    Anyone doing this set and looking for trades? I bought a blaster and had my fill from that box, so pretty much all cards I got from it are for trade.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    Good lord, the centering on that is atrocious.... I know Turkey Red is a low-end set, but jeez, you'd think they'd do their best with the #d cards to churn out immaculate examples.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a hobby box today at a local show ($75), and I don't think I did to good (havent opened a lot of this stuff), but here is what I got from it:

SPs - 1
    Turkey Red backs - 5
    Presidents - 2
    Chromes - 6
    Refractors - 2
    Black refractors - 1
    Game used - 2
    Arod road to 500 - 1

I have bought 3 blasters, and 1 hobby box, and I have 4 SPs. That is ridiculous. I know the Turkey Red backs are SPs too, and I did get 8 of those so far in total, but the regular set SPs have got to be given out at a better rate than this for set builders.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, in those 48 packs (3 blasters, and 1 hobby box) I have not gotten base card 56 - Chase Utley. I know he has a Turkey Red back variation, but is it possible he is also an SP in the 1 to 186 set and the above list is not correct? 48 packs is a lot to open to still be missing a base card, when I have 3 and 4 of most of the base cards already.
  • Options
    My understanding is that #56 only has the ad back.
  • Options
    That makes sense cause I didn't get a #56 either and was considering adding it to the SP list.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    #56 is not in the regular set, only an ad back.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Local target finally got some boxes in. Now that the initial urge is over, I'm glad I didn't start the set. I'm working on 06 A&G mini's instead. I may come back and do the cabinets and/or presidents later.
  • Options

<< <i>Good lord, the centering on that is atrocious.... I know Turkey Red is a low-end set, but jeez, you'd think they'd do their best with the #d cards to churn out immaculate examples. >>

I know, my first thought was to get it graded until I looked a little closer at the front.
  • Options
    Don't know what the SP's are. bought 1 box...not interested in completing set. Let me know what you might need..If I have it no, doubt we can make a deal. PM if interested.