Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

All Time Gold Glove Team Voting Ended

The all time gold glove team was announced by Spalding which i guess was voted on by fans. Anyone see somone who doesn't belong? My sig might give it away.

Position Winner Gold Gloves
C Johnny Bench 10
1B Wes Parker 6
2B Joe Morgan 5
SS Ozzie Smith 13
3B Brooks Robinson 16
OF Willie Mays 12
OF Roberto Clemente 12
OF Ken Griffey Jr. 10
P Greg Maddux 16

Comments

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Well, if the criteria is the most Gold Gloves awarded, there really isn't any one else who can be on this team (unless there's a tie that they forgot about). Jim Kaat won like 14 or so GGs, but Maddox has two more.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Ryne Sandberg's 9 straight GGs at 2nd base? Maybe?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Although he's having a disgustingly attrocious year, if Andruw Jones keeps up the defense and stays healthy, he'll probably tie and maybe surpass 12 GG's. I think he's at 9 and he's only 31.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    BunchOBull you crystalized my thoughts

Its Joe freakin Morgan, 5 gold gloves? Granted it was a fans vote I believe but that and the fact the Joe Morgan has no respect or Sandberg what so ever make is worse. In Ryno's book he talks about Morgans dislike for Ryno and he can't figure out. But granted in my slanted opnion the greatest defensive second baseman of all time was Ryne Sandberg. If Ozzie Smith wasn't on the list you would really see me fired up...

Edit: Goot you are correct Jones was close Story Link
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ryne Sandberg's 9 straight GGs at 2nd base? Maybe? >>

Did Ryno win any of those GGs in any other position but 2B? I don't remember him playing any other position. I don't understand Joe Morgan being on the list either.

Mind you, I think GGs are somewhat dubious, popularity awards anyway. Anyone remember Raphael Palmiero winning one for only playing 28 games at 1st base?
  • Options
    How about Bill Mazeroski at 2B?
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone remember Raphael Palmiero winning one for only playing 28 games at 1st base? >>

Oh wow... there's a big "WTF" if there ever was one.

As for 1st base... The fans voted for these guys? How many of you folks knew anything relevant about Wes Parker before reading this post?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone remember Raphael Palmiero winning one for only playing 28 games at 1st base? >>

Oh wow... there's a big "WTF" if there ever was one.

As for 1st base... The fans voted for these guys? How many of you folks knew anything relevant about Wes Parker before reading this post? >>

Never trust a Giants fan to be objective about anything a Dodger wins! image

I liked Parker's quote:

<< <i>"I'm thrilled to be recognized as one of those who worked hard at what is an under-appreciated skill," Parker said. "I'm particularly pleased to be the lone representative of the Dodgers and the only awardee who is not and will not be in the Hall of Fame. This is my Hall of Fame." >>

Geordie
  • Options

<< <i>Never trust a Giants fan to be objective about anything a Dodger wins! >>

Heh, I'll take J.T. Snow, thank you very much. image

• Options
    I think Keith Hernandez at 1st, Ryno or even Frank White at 2nd. I am sure Maz and Parker were great too but before my time.

I cant agree that Jones should be here though, he was great his first few years but lately his range has really fallen off as he bulked up. I can't figure out why he keeps getting GG's at this point.
    ----------------------------------------
    Currently working on:
    1955 Topps All-American
    George Brett Master Set
    2009 A&G's
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say Morgan is arguably the best secondbaseman of all time, but not sure he is the best fielding secondbaseman of all time.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Roberto Alomar is by far the best fiedling 2B to ever play the game. It's not even close.

To put everything into perspective, Brooks Robinson only got 61% of the vote at 3rd when he should've gotten 135%. This poll of the American public can't be taken seriously.
  • Options

<< <i>I think Keith Hernandez at 1st, Ryno or even Frank White at 2nd. I am sure Maz and Parker were great too but before my time.

I cant agree that Jones should be here though, he was great his first few years but lately his range has really fallen off as he bulked up. I can't figure out why he keeps getting GG's at this point. >>

I never said that he should be on it, just that he's approaching 12 GG's and is only 31 years old.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Who is Wes Parker?

For first base, it should have been Don Mattingly or Keith Hernandez. Even Steve Garvey was an excellent fielding first baseman. Wes Parker just came out of no where. I am surprised there were so many fans that even know about him.

For second base, I thought for sure Roberto Alomar would get it. Morgan is not a bad choice. Sandberg would have not disgraced either.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭

<< <i>As for 1st base... The fans voted for these guys? How many of you folks knew anything relevant about Wes Parker before reading this post? >>

Wes Parker did an episode of the Brady Bunch. That's how you get the fan vote!!!

• Options
    Hernandez and Mazeroski have to be there, easily the best at their position. Even Jackie Robinson ahead of Morgan

Outfield is three positions: Bonds in left, Mays in center, Clemente in right
    Tom
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Maz at second.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    For the stats guys Maz is clearly the best ever according to Bill James. He is the Ozzie Smith of 2B's. Got into the Hall on mostly a defense basis.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    many years ago, i think it was at a National, Wes Parker came up to our table to purchase some baseball cards of none other than the GREAT Wes Parker! image

as a young kid growing up in L.A. during the 60's, i got to see him play a lot and hear Vin Scullys' glowing descriptions of his defensive play......that being said, this one is straight outta left field, must have been a grass roots Los Angelino effort to win Wes this prestigious honor
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    1B Buckner
  • Options

<< <i>1B Buckner >>

I think a player would to have won a Gold Glove at some point in his career before he could be considered as part of the "All Time Gold Glove Team".

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1B Buckner >>

I think a player would to have won a Gold Glove at some point in his career before he could be considered as part of the "All Time Gold Glove Team". >>

i'm guessing it was equivalent of suggesting Jose Canseco as the right fielder image
  • Options
    USELESS STATS WARNING!!!

Well, I did a quick look at the stats.... Wes Parker was pretty solid as a 1st baseman if you compare his fielding percentage vs the average of his league during his Gold Glove years.

Wes Parker averaged .0046 above the league in his 6 GG years.

In comparason...

.0039 = Don Mattingly (9 GG)
    .0036 = Vic Power (7 GG)
    .0032 = J.T. Snow (6 GG)
    .0031 = Keith Hernandez (11 GG)
    .0024 = Bill White (7 GG)
    - .0006 = George Scott (8 GG) (Yes, his FP was usually worse than the league average)

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Fielding ability is really hard to determine by using stats. What about a guy like Alomar who was always in position because he knew every batter's tendency? Certainly he's going to make more outs than Ryne Sandberg even if they both have the same amount of errors. He'll also probably have a few more errors because he's already in position to make the error, whereas a guy who dives and misses won't be hit with the E. And not to keep pounding on the Alomar argument, but what about a guy like him who has a much quicker turn to make the double play? I think the best fielder should be determined by who makes the most outs for his team, and I'm not sure there's any way to show that through stats.

I guess what I'm saying is that the best fielders are already in position to make the play and don't necesarily need to always make the diving catch.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I see what digicat is getting at with the stats.

Wes Parker played in an era where first baseman were not coveted for fielding ability. During the Mattingly and Hernandez era, the defensive first baseman started coming into vogue. Coaches paid more attention to fielding ability and used the DH for players who would been first baseman in the past. Therefore, it was hard for Mattingly to be that much more above the league average than Wes because bad fielding first baseman got shuffled at the DH position. Context is everything.

Still, Mattingly is in second place with all that said. But given what I have presented and considering he got more gold gloves than Wes, I say it should have been Mattingly at first base for the All-Time team.

When comparing Hernandez to Mattingly, the stats above favor Mattingly not just by sheer numbers. Mattingly's points above league average was already tainted by the fact that really bad fielders were relegated to DH. Hernandez competed with more bad fielders, comparatively speaking, since there was no DH position in the NL. Hernandez competed with a more dilute talent than Mattingly.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>Fielding ability is really hard to determine by using stats. What about a guy like Alomar who was always in position because he knew every batter's tendency? Certainly he's going to make more outs than Ryne Sandberg even if they both have the same amount of errors. He'll also probably have a few more errors because he's already in position to make the error, whereas a guy who dives and misses won't be hit with the E. And not to keep pounding on the Alomar argument, but what about a guy like him who has a much quicker turn to make the double play? I think the best fielder should be determined by who makes the most outs for his team, and I'm not sure there's any way to show that through stats.

I guess what I'm saying is that the best fielders are already in position to make the play and don't necesarily need to always make the diving catch. >>

John Hirschbeck sez Robbie ain't worth a spit image
  • Options

<< <i>I see what digicat is getting at with the stats. >>

Thank you. However, I still must wonder how the fans ended up voting for Wes Parker. Was he a big star in his day? Bigger than Mattingly or Hernandez?

Mattingly and Hernandez have the benifit of being somewhat recent players. Maybe we've got some sort of an anti-New York undercurrent among the voters?

• Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭