Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sunday error coin pic post anyone?

I'll start with this clipped Franklin that I have owned for about 10 years. One of the few "keepers" that I still own.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a missing obverse clad layer Adams dollar (on the right), should be getting back from PCGS shortly:

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    struck on a penny planchet. one of my very few error coins.

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

imageimage
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    A Trio of 1978's:

Off Center by 10%

A Broad Strike

A 3% Clip

1978 was a good year for screwing up the IKEs at the Mint! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I shared this one a couple months ago.
  • Options

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
  • Options
    Got this in a Philly Adams roll:

Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Another "keeper" that I have owned for about 8 years. Broad-struck Jeff just a hair under the size of an SBA ........
  • Options
  • Options
    From greattoning

Mike Bottos
    coinpage.com
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    image >>

Nice! It looks like that beauty saw some action at Normandy.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options

<< <i>From greattoning

image >>

That is a wicked coin!
  • Options
    recently found in an old wheat cent hoard, previously undiscovered.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of three, after searching hours worth of rolls.

Speared Washington? LOL
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Don't think I've shown off this steel cent brockage yet.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options

<< <i>Don't think I've shown off this steel cent brockage yet.
    image >>

That is sweet!
  • Options
    richrich Posts: 364

Long Live The King !

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Ragged clip or straight clip on an off center?
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Look like an edge strike on a o/c cent.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

<< <i>Look like an edge strike on a o/c cent. >>

Correct! 10% off center, second strike on edge. Full date shows! PCGS MS 65
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Well, it is Sunday again. So, this time a 1970's Kennedy half with both an indent and a partial brockage.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    One of half a dozen found while searching a mint sewn bag of 1995p, and not one DDO in the whole bag. The others have progressively more detail showing like whatever it was was coming off the die. Or the other way around and it was building up on the die.

1948s. From a minimart/gas station, someone must have hit up dad's collection.

Sackie struck through string or something.

Clash, I also have a couple of coins that appear to have come from the same die AFTER they attempted to polish it out.
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Look like an edge strike on a o/c cent. >>

Correct! 10% off center, second strike on edge. Full date shows! PCGS MS 65 >>

It could be an edge strike after an initial off-center strike, just as you say. However, another possibility is that this all occurred during a single downstroke, with the edge strike coming first. It's conceivable that, just after the dies made first contact with the edge, the coin slipped and fell on its side. The completion of the downstroke created the off-center strike. I have at least one error that matches this description in my collection.

A picture of the opposite edge might help discriminate between these two possibilities. However, it's not always possible to make this determination.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    It could be an edge strike after an initial off-center strike, just as you say. However, another possibility is that this all occurred during a single downstroke, with the edge strike coming first. It's conceivable that, just after the dies made first contact with the edge, the coin slipped and fell on its side. The completion of the downstroke created the off-center strike. I have at least one error that matches this description in my collection.

A picture of the opposite edge might help discriminate between these two possibilities. However, it's not always possible to make this determination. >>

It had been longer than I thought since I looked at this coin. It is 15% off center and was graded by PCGS as MS66RD as you can see. pcgserror
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    a 1969-D Cent on a Clad Dime planchet

Something that the mailman brought today:

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>It could be an edge strike after an initial off-center strike, just as you say. However, another possibility is that this all occurred during a single downstroke, with the edge strike coming first. It's conceivable that, just after the dies made first contact with the edge, the coin slipped and fell on its side. The completion of the downstroke created the off-center strike. I have at least one error that matches this description in my collection.

A picture of the opposite edge might help discriminate between these two possibilities. However, it's not always possible to make this determination. >>

It had been longer than I thought since I looked at this coin. It is 15% off center and was graded by PCGS as MS66RD as you can see. >>

Pity. Since it's now locked in a slab there will be no way to see if PCGS was correct in its diagnosis.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options

Pity. Since it's now locked in a slab there will be no way to see if PCGS was correct in its diagnosis. >>

I've never questioned Mr. Weinberg before, so why start now?
  • Options
    Blind faith can be a very risky approach to purchasing slabbed errors.
    One should never grant any expert or any organization blanket acceptance of opinions they may render. One should always consider alternative hypotheses. One should always examine the coin to see if its appearance supports the stated diagnosis.

Fred may be right or wrong in his diagnosis. Your photos fail to show evidence necessary for making a determination. The slab gasket itself may hide such evidence. It may not even be possible to clearly rule in favor of one scenario. Even if informative evidence is present, it would still require careful study under a microscope. Here's one thing to look for. If the off-center strike overlaps the other edge strike (the edge not shown), then this will provide a critical clue. If the metal is pushed up on the edge in the area of overlap, then you'll know that Fred's diagnosis is correct. If the metal is not pushed up, then that means that the off-center strike came later. And that leaves open the possibility that a single downstroke was responsible for both edge and off-center strikes. If there is no overlap between the off-center strike and either edge strike, then that makes it almost impossible to say which scenario is correct.

Here's an example of what I mean when I say that one must study errors carefully. At the just-concluded ANA show I purchased an ANACS-slabbed "triple-struck foldover/edge strike". I could see exactly why they thought three strikes were involved. There were three die-struck areas -- the edge and two close off-center strikes (or what looked like close off-center strikes). Careful study showed that all areas of die-struck design were produced by a single downstroke. It took me several hours to figure out exactly what happened to the coin. I don't blame ANACS for their misdiagnosis at all. I would not expect any authenticator to spend that amount of time on a single coin. They really don't have the time.

Errors can be subtle and complex. That's why they're so much fun.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well, it's Sunday yet again......... and I know I have shared this a thousand times before but not in about a year or more so here it is again. An error and a variety!

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nice straight edge clip or "end of roll" clip! I dig them when they are that big!
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    I wish everyone had posted how they obtained the errors...found or purchased? Im betting most were found.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file