Home U.S. Coin Forum

Parsippany Coin show report!

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone!
Back from todays coin show at Parsippany, NJ! Was a fun show, and I took my 3 year old nephew with me to this one. He had fun and I got him 5 coins, one of which SeaEagle Coins (Larry of this board) gave to him. Thanks buddy!

The show for me was rather slow. I didnt pick up any coins that I wanted, but picked up a few obsolete and fractional notes. I dropped off the 6 NGC graded 1952 to 1957 proof sets with Jon at Scarsdale to try to sell for me at the ANA show. The halls were crowded in the morning, but tapered off by noon. There seemed to be a lot more currency than usual. I was looking for toned Morgans which I did not find any good ones. The ones I did find were priced 10-15x guide.

I met board memeber Cohdhk (prob spelled that wrong) at the show, who was introduced to me by Larry. A good show, but overall pretty slow for me.

Anyone else attend?

Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thx for the report,
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Some of the bigger dealers were missing.....I guess it's summertime!

Even though I love the classics, there is definitely ignorance towards moderns at the show. Everyone knows what happens to be hot in the retail market (20th Anniv Sets for the last several months, 1st Spouse, Wash and Adams Errors), but I rarely see anything like that at this show.

Same old material every month at most tables.

I'm surprised that most of the dealers even recoup thier $90 per table fee.
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I suspect that the dealers who were missing are out in Milwaukee for the pre-ANA Show.

7over8, you're right - I can't think of any dealers at the Parsippany show who deal in Moderns. Several have recent or new Proof/Mint sets, but that's about it.

I had a busy weekend and skipped this show, but I'll be back in October!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• I went to this show for the first time today. I live down in Philadelphia, so it is a bit of a hike up to North Jersey. I didn't arrive there until 11:30 or so and the show was pretty slow at that time. I didn't manage to find that much of interest, but I did cherry an AU 1934 Heavy Motto Washington for ten bucks. My only other purchase was a raw 1949 Franklin which should go 64 FBL at PCGS. All in all I had a nice time at the show and will be back there next month.

Tom
  • Thanks for the report, Ankur ... very cool to see you there with your young nephew... he seemed very comfortable there...that could end up being dangerous...or at least expensive...LOL...

...of course it was slow for you...you finished your Type Set...so what next? Toned Morgans? They usually are very pricey...I tend to avoid them because of this...

...but you have hurt my feelings...you never asked me if I had any toners...imageimage ...

...you have done a good job filling in for Dave G...image

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭
    I had a table in the front room and traffic was fairly slow but high end coins were selling. The dealer next to me sold a Proof 1877 Indian cent and a Proof Trade Dollar! Those are coins you don't see every day, and he also had a few other big sales. I was buying silver as usual and got a few Barber dimes in as junk silver and this at least paid for the table. I also had 2 couples inquire if I bought collections that their father had ( drool!! ) and I gave my card so maybe this will turn out to be a good show afterall.imageimage

Frank
  • 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    I was at the show yesterday. I stopped by SeaEagle's table and looked at his 1971-S PR DDO Lincoln again. Pretty nice looking coin with an odd label with two FS#'s on it. I jokingly told him in order to end the confusion with his coin all he needed to do was crack it out of that confusing holder.

I also got to meet Cohodk. That was the highlight of the show for me as there wasn't much to be purchased on the floor. Dave is a really nice guy and it was a pleasure to meet him We chatted for a bit and he showed me some of his amazing matte proof Lincolns. It was very cool to be able to see these coins in person that I have drooled over so many times on the forum. During our conversation, my wife called me to tell me to pick something up on the way home, Yes dear yes dear, lol. I mentioned that I had just gotten married and Dave immediately put a coin in my hand and told me it was a wedding gift! I couldn't believe how generous he was! It is a 1955-S PCGS MS65RB with just gorgeous vibrant toning that is very attractive. I can't say how nice that was!

Thanks again Dave, it was great to meet you!
  • I was at the show bright and early. It was the first Parsippany show in a very long time that I didn't pick up anything......very slim pickings when it came to barber and seated material. As always, I enjoyed chatting with Larry and Jon at their tables.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a pleasure meeting AnkurJ, 66RB, and Seaeagle. I also chatted with Jon for Scarsdale for a bit about the upcoming Coinfest. There will be some fantastic dealers at the show and activities for the whole family. Looks to be a great time.

And 66RB, you have my condolencesimageimage

My impression of the show as a first timer was good. A nice variety of coins and great people. It is a must do if in the area.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was also at the show and true to my previous posts, I did not buy any coins at all!!

However, I did pick up an old green PCGS plastic box for $3.

Met the usual dealers and collectors.

I helped a buddy of mine buy an awesome "numiscap slabbed" green insert PCGS graded walking liberty half dollar from seaeagle. .

Awesome
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Thx for the report Ankur....I feel like I was almost there!!!! image
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file