Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are lots (buying 50-100 copies of the same card) making a comeback? I always thought it was a late

Remember back in the hobby's "boom years" (mid-80s-early 90s) when people would by dozens or even hundreds of the same card (typically of a really promising rookie) and hope to "cash in" on all of them if said player turns out to be great? Well, I had thought that fad had long since died out but has anyone else noticed that's really making a comeback now on Ebay? At first it was only things like 100 copies of Barry Bond's 1987 Fleer card but lately I've seen them of other cards/players too.

Say, Tom Glavine is about to clinch Cooperstown with his 300th win any day now; wonder how many people who've hoarded hundreds of his 1988 Topps and Fleer rookies back in 1988 will get to cash in image
WISHLIST
Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Comments

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I've seen a lot of lots selling for bowman and topps chrome product lately. Some of them do quite well.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Will Clark.... what a joke. chaz
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I guess if Chaz listened to his mother about what to do if he didn't have a nice thing to say, we'd never hear from him.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess if Chaz listened to his mother about what to do if he didn't have a nice thing to say, we'd never hear from him. >>

Jeff

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    ive seen alot of em on ebay that way too, none ive wanted to buy yet,but theres alot on there
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess if Chaz listened to his mother about what to do if he didn't have a nice thing to say, we'd never hear from him. >>

<JOKE>

Maybe Chaz is a Cubs fan...after all, Will the Thrill did send them packing with that clutch hit off of Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams in the 1989 ALCS...sending the Giants to the World Series that year...and breaking Cub hearts yet again. If I were a Cubs fan I'd certainly have some hate for Clark.

As an A's fan there's a certain gimpy legged Dodger whose name shall never be mentioned in my house...

</JOKE>
  • Options
    ah giant lots! i bought huge lots of all the 1985 olympic cards from tops... 100 Mcgwires image but also 200 cory snyders lol, 200 mike Dunne! i also bought 200 1987 topps bonds image at about .16 cents each.
  • Options

<< <i>

<JOKE>

Maybe Chaz is a Cubs fan...after all, Will the Thrill did send them packing with that clutch hit off of Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams in the 1989 ALCS...sending the Giants to the World Series that year...and breaking Cub hearts yet again. If I were a Cubs fan I'd certainly have some hate for Clark.

As an A's fan there's a certain gimpy legged Dodger whose name shall never be mentioned in my house...

</JOKE> >>

Not a cubs fan...God forbid.... but give me a break about Will Clark.....what a disappointment and I thought he sucked.... he took his 54 million at age 36 and ran... If it wasn't for me saying how it really is on these boards.... it would really be friggin' boring comin' on here. chaz
  • Options

Is it about being nice or being real my friend? I know this guy likes Will Clark but in real terms, Will Clark was a big disappointment. chaz
  • Options
    he took his 54 million at age 36 and ran

I cannot say I would not have done the same.. Seems pretty smart to me.
  • Options

<< <i> he took his 54 million at age 36 and ran

I cannot say I would not have done the same.. Seems pretty smart to me. >>

Yeah Will Clark was real dedicated at age 36..... give me a break... any man worth his salt would have gotten at least another 8 years out of his talent. Say what you want about Pete Rose and Barry Bonds but both played into their mid-forties. Will clark stole money and he sucked. chaz
  • Options
    200 bonds at .16 cent s each, that would be sweet,1985 mcgwires too,even if this stuff was was overproduced,good grades in em,big $ got any of em left or psa graded,if you still got em u made out like a bandit bobba!
    randy
  • Options
    I actually had a chance in early 1987 to buy 500 Mark McGwire 1987 Donruss cards for 25.00 wish I could go back to that one.

I also took a chance and bought 200 Michael Young Topps Rookies for 10 cents each. May start cashing in on that one soon.
  • Options
    Are you Will? If not then there is no way you can sit there and say what he could have done. If he felt at 36 he could not play no more then he is done. Period..

As far as Barry its easy when you have some "help" keeping you playing longer.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I probably still have 100 Luis Polonia xrc cards somewhere. They're just like gold!
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>Are you Will? If not then there is no way you can sit there and say what he could have done. If he felt at 36 he could not play no more then he is done. Period..

As far as Barry its easy when you have some "help" keeping you playing longer. >>

Will clark still sucked and always will suck. chaz
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Are you Will? If not then there is no way you can sit there and say what he could have done. If he felt at 36 he could not play no more then he is done. Period..

As far as Barry its easy when you have some "help" keeping you playing longer. >>

Will clark still sucked and always will suck. chaz >>

Regardless of whether he sucked or not, that's no reason to slam someone's collecting preference. I personally don't care about Will Clark and am more of a pre-war vintage guy, but if someone gets enjoyment out of collecting "The Thrill", more power to him, since it's obviously for reasons being just investment at that point, so I applaud that.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    id like to get paid 54 million for sucking at baseball,i dont think they pay that for people that suck, look up his stats,even thought i think he should have stuck in there too,but that was his chioce ,not mine,you wanna know who sucks-julio franco lol-100 years old and still playing, batting averge less that 190 something,now that sucks!
    <any man worth his salt would have gotten at least another 8 years out of his talent> talent-you said he sucked, make up your mind!
  • Options
    I saw that too.. Just decided not to continue feeding.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Will clark still sucked and always will suck. chaz >>

Regardless of whether he sucked or not, that's no reason to slam someone's collecting preference. I personally don't care about Will Clark and am more of a pre-war vintage guy, but if someone gets enjoyment out of collecting "The Thrill", more power to him, since it's obviously for reasons being just investment at that point, so I applaud that. >>

Good for you. I really don't think I am slamming someone's collecting preference....that is not my intention. The "thrill" was a "dud". chaz
  • Options

<< <i>id like to get paid 54 million for sucking at baseball,i dont think they pay that for people that suck, look up his stats,even thought i think he should have stuck in there too,but that was his chioce ,not mine,you wanna know who suck-julio france lol-100 years old and stillpaying, batting averge less that 190 something,now that sucks!
    <any man worth his salt would have gotten at least another 8 years out of his talent> talent-you said he sucked, make up your mind! >>

I looked at his stats... they should have been better... have you seen him lately.... he's a fat slob..so much for dedication. chaz
  • Options
    Chaz, no offense buddy, but your don't know your baseball. The thrill had a sweet swing.

Will Clark was a heck of a ball player. Obviously one that didnt rely on 'roids or he might still be playing image

this is Clarks 162 GAME AVERAGE.

AB 588 --- RUNS 97 ---HIT 178 ---DOUBLES 36 ---TRIPLES 4 ---HOMERS 23 ---RBI'S 99 ---5 ---4 ---BOB 77 ---K'S 98 B.A. .303 OBP.384

6 time all star, top 5 in MVP 4 times, 1989 NLCS MVP.

and in his last season stepped in when McGwire was hurt and helped St. Louis immensely
  • Options
    I love how people try to use should and could as proof of anything. I shoulda been a great QB in the NFL, but an injury my junior year of HS killed that. You cannot base anything on what should have or could have happened in his career.

Bonds should have only been a 400 HR hitter for his career, but fact is he has 754 right now.
  • Options
    This guy was hyped to be the next Ted Williams. Everybody said it and that is the problem when you follow the crowd. Do you even remember the hype back in 86' and 87'? His 1986 Topps Traded was selling for $ 20.00 back then... what are they worth today? Not even toilet paper to wipe my .... with. The market dictates a worth of a player in cards and his cards aren't worth sht. He was a disappointment and don't tell me I don't know baseball. I have been a student of the game since 1961 so have a little respect. chaz
  • Options

<< <i>Chaz, no offense buddy, but your don't know your baseball. The thrill had a sweet swing.

Will Clark was a heck of a ball player. Obviously one that didnt rely on 'roids or he might still be playing image

this is Clarks 162 GAME AVERAGE.

AB 588 --- RUNS 97 ---HIT 178 ---DOUBLES 36 ---TRIPLES 4 ---HOMERS 23 ---RBI'S 99 ---5 ---4 ---BOB 77 ---K'S 98 B.A. .303 OBP.384

6 time all star, top 5 in MVP 4 times, 1989 NLCS MVP.

and in his last season stepped in when McGwire was hurt and helped St. Louis immensely >>

This guy was hyped to be the next Ted Williams. Everybody said it and that is the problem when you follow the crowd. Do you even remember the hype back in 86' and 87'? His 1986 Topps Traded was selling for $ 20.00 back then... what are they worth today? Not even toilet paper to wipe my .... with. The market dictates a worth of a player in cards and his cards aren't worth sht. He was a disappointment and don't tell me I don't know baseball. I have been a student of the game since 1961 so have a little respect. chaz
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This guy was hyped to be the next Ted Williams. Everybody said it and that is the problem when you follow the crowd. >>

Chaz -

Baseball card values aside, you're way off base on Clark. At least in San Francisco, Clark is and always will be thought of as one of the all time local greats. This past weekend the Giants had a reunion of the 1987 team and Clark got the biggest ovation of any of the players when introduced. So what if he didn't turn out to be the next Ted Williams. Jose Canseco didn't turn out to be the next Babe Ruth either and his cards were more hyped than Clarks. How about Strawberry? Mattingly? All projected to be all-time greats.

Clark was a throwback. He played the game with extreme focus, intensity, and always face first. He was the guy you wanted at bat with the game on the line and usually came through. Pressure meant nothing to him, in fact the thrived on it.

I have always been an A's fan but we do get good coverage of both teams in the Bay Area. I have always liked and respected Clark despite the fact that he played for the only Bay Area MLB team not to win a World Series (sorry Giants fans, couldn't resist).

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This guy was hyped to be the next Ted Williams. Everybody said it and that is the problem when you follow the crowd. >>

Chaz -

Baseball card values aside, you're way off base on Clark. At least in San Francisco, Clark is and always will be thought of as one of the all time local greats. This past weekend the Giants had a reunion of the 1987 team and Clark got the biggest ovation of any of the players when introduced. So what if he didn't turn out to be the next Ted Williams. Jose Canseco didn't turn out to be the next Babe Ruth either and his cards were more hyped than Clarks. How about Strawberry? Mattingly? All projected to be all-time greats.

Clark was a throwback. He played the game with extreme focus, intensity, and always face first. He was the guy you wanted at bat with the game on the line and usually came through. Pressure meant nothing to him, in fact the thrived on it.

I have always been an A's fan but we do get good coverage of both teams in the Bay Area. I have always liked and respected Clark despite the fact that he played for the only Bay Area MLB team not to win a World Series (sorry Giants fans, couldn't resist). >>

Totally disagree... he was a "local yocal great" and he was a dud nationally. Yes, you can point to many others but we're talkin' about the "dud" not the thrill. chaz
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you Will? If not then there is no way you can sit there and say what he could have done. If he felt at 36 he could not play no more then he is done. Period.. >>

The weird thing about that is that, in the last 2 months of his career, Will was playing better than he ever had. Hit .345 for St. Louis with a .655 slugging %, then hit .412 in the NLCS.

Strange time to retire.

Tabe
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Clark was a decent ballplayer. Barry Bonds was/and is a HOF player, my 2 cents on that topic.

I used to hoard, Mattingly, Gooden, Strawberry cards in the late 80's I actually made money on them when I sold them. As far as nowadays I dont see why anyone would not try to hoard rookie cards other than that they dont come cheap anymore, most modern day "sleeper" rookie cards are on signature/patch cards and are priced higher than say even a few dollars a piece when they hit the hobby now, I dont collect modern so if Im wrong I apoligize but thats my assumption.
  • Options
    "I have been a student of the game since 1961 so have a little respect. chaz"

sorry chaz, your posts today made it perfectly clear that no one on this board should respect your stilted and silly opinions. If your a student of the game, the grades on your report card are D's at best.
  • Options

<< <i>"I have been a student of the game since 1961 so have a little respect. chaz"

sorry chaz, your posts today made it perfectly clear that no one on this board should respect your stilted and silly opinions. If your a student of the game, the grades on your report card are D's at best. >>

Who made you the teacher? chaz
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Chaz is a dope, He knows nothing of baseball and less of how to be respectful.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for Chaz to post that none of the massive lot of Will Clark Stadium Club cards would grade higher than a 5.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    In 1989 I traded a 64 Pete Rose for a Will Clark rookie.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Chaz is a dope, He knows nothing of baseball and less of how to be respectful.

Steve >>

I knew sooner or later "THE MORON" would throw in his little 2 cents. How's it goin' "lose pitcher?"

chaz
  • Options

<< <i>In 1989 I traded a 64 Pete Rose for a Will Clark rookie. >>

See what I mean???? This is what I am talking about!!!!!!!!!! This is a perfect example of what we thought "the DUD" would do. This guy traded a 64' Rose for the "DUD" !!!!!!! chaz
  • Options
    Since when does a players ability reflect directly on his on field performance? Most of the time it does, but there are many great players who card values are nothing. Then you got some average players whose cards are worth alot.

Craig Biggio comes to mind. Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux also fit in this category of undervalued cards of great players.
  • Options
    Another thing Will Clarks rookie cards are from 1987 which was the begining of the 80s card craze and his rookies are severly mass produced. In 1988 there were probaly 4 or 5 times as many avid card collectors as there are now. Guess what when those speculators and such dumped their cards in the early 90s it does not take a genius to see that price is going to fall as supply goes up.
  • Options
    will hasnt been over to my house lately chaz,i was in grenada and panama around 87-88 so i didnt see wills first years i didnt get to see much of anything as i was in army from 66-92-nam 4 years, thru every war and covert op till desert storm , us army ret colonel ,25 years -you might be a student of baseball, but i was a student of special ops,big diference
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    chaz is a guy who has $100,000 in a collection that is not worth a fraction of that. He will not listen to reason on anything. He is right and the world is wrong. Do not waste your time trying to teach him anything. This could have been a good thread as I think the player lot thing makes for good discussion.
  • Options
    lets start again lol- how about those player lots that are making a comeback on ebay now!!!!
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭
    <<If it wasn't for me saying how it really is on these boards.... it would really be friggin' boring comin' on here. chaz >>

That is a true statement. Who will ever forget the day when chaz burst on the scene with this nugget of brilliance. Yep, that GAI, "they gaining strength".

Or how about this one? See, he told you turkeys!

How'd that investment in those GAI graded cards turn out chaz? Have you made enough to retire yet, or are you still forced to coach tennis to people who want to be be better than that overrated fool Andre Agassi?
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i><<If it wasn't for me saying how it really is on these boards.... it would really be friggin' boring comin' on here. chaz >>

That is a true statement. Who will ever forget the day when chaz burst on the scene with this nugget of brilliance. Yep, that GAI, "they gaining strength".

Or how about this one? See, he told you turkeys!

How'd that investment in those GAI graded cards turn out chaz? Have you made enough to retire yet, or are you still forced to coach tennis to people who want to be be better than that overrated fool Andre Agassi? >>

Great Stuff !!! Pullin' stuff out of the archives, I love it!! Laughing my ass off !!!!! chaz
  • Options

<< <i>chaz is a guy who has $100,000 in a collection that is not worth a fraction of that. He will not listen to reason on anything. He is right and the world is wrong. Do not waste your time trying to teach him anything. This could have been a good thread as I think the player lot thing makes for good discussion. >>

Comin' from another loser .... IVERSON.... NOW HE'S A REAL JOKE !!!!! chaz
  • Options

<< <i>

Is it about being nice or being real my friend? I know this guy likes Will Clark but in real terms, Will Clark was a big disappointment. chaz >>

We should be thanking Chaz for "keeping it real," as the kids say
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question Estil.

I'm not really sure - my intuition tells me that the days of the 'brick' purchases like in the early 90s is over.

SCD was littered with guys like Bruce Harris and Scoreboard - selling 50 and 100 ct. stacks of the "next best thing" like Cal Eldred or Brien Taylor.

Again - this alludes to the question of investment in a hobby - intriguing idea but also very risky.

And yes - I do have a 100 ct. stack of 88F Glavines not to mention an 800 ct. box of these: image

I'll see you guys in the fall - I'm just tryin' to check in here and there. image

mike
    Mike