Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Flip over double strikes in collar. Why so valuable?

Just watched a 1936 pcgs 1c in xf40, Jeremy's auction (awesome auction tonight, btw), go for about $280. Is this a rare type of error? Very cool, shows portions of both sides, on both sides. Just curious, don't know much about errors.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Thanks, Jeremy. Didn't want to use the image without permission. Man, what a group you had tonight, great coins and excellent presentations. Congrats. That 1908 Canadian specimen set and box was simply amazing.

Anyway, this type of error is a new one to me, and I'm hoping that someone will weigh in. Seems some error types are more common than others, and this type is somewhat rare?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    That coin is awesome!
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    That is a sweet coin. image
    aka Dan
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, Jeremy. Didn't want to use the image without permission. Man, what a group you had tonight, great coins and excellent presentations. Congrats. That 1908 Canadian specimen set and box was simply amazing.

Anyway, this type of error is a new one to me, and I'm hoping that someone will weigh in. Seems some error types are more common than others, and this type is somewhat rare? >>

Assuming it did not have help, and this one looks just fine, it is extremely unlikely that a struck coin bouncing around in a coin press will land exactly above the lower die so that the upper die can force it back into the collar (a struck coin is too large to fit back into the same-sized collar without pressure). It is much more likely that the second strike will be off-center.

Add flip-over before the second strike, and it is even more unlikely. Not impossible, just unlikely.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thank you, Tom, I understand now. You say that this one does not look helped. By helped, what do you mean, specifically? Wouldn't someone need the die to create the second strike on the opposite side? Are fraudulent flipover double strikes a problem in the error collecting world? Thanks.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    WOW i wish i had seen that one....you might have had a higher winning bidder!

a very awesome coin.image

how rare though? First one I have seen
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you, Tom, I understand now. You say that this one does not look helped. By helped, what do you mean, specifically? Wouldn't someone need the die to create the second strike on the opposite side? Are fraudulent flipover double strikes a problem in the error collecting world? Thanks. >>

Deliberately put back in. In 1936, errors were not worth a premium, so I have no reason to doubt the piece.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    <<Deliberately put back in.>>

Now I get it, thanks.

• Options
    I see this coin as a very good deal at $280. Quite scarce.

Garrow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file