Home Sports Talk

POLL: Will A-Rod Opt-Out?

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
Interesting article posted on AOLSports ->Link

Don't know what happens if he doesn't opt-out this year but I assume he's on the hook for the remaining 3-years (maybe club option?).

Bora$$ is starting to make $30MM/Year comments, so you know that's the number he's looking for.

Nothing against A-Rod but I hope he opts out and no team is willing to pay Bora$$'s ransom.
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• It's hardly a ransom, and $30 million a year for the best player in baseball is worth it. Why the hate for the agent? He's doing his job, getting the most for him and his client. If you want to hate anyone, hate the ownership for paying the salaries. They have the ultimate say, they are the ones who write the checks.

Arod's going to opt out, and likely be an Angel next year, shifting back to his natural position at shortstop, in a town that will love him. Would love to see him out of the AL completely and go to the Giants, where his bat would do some serious, serious damage (and not hurt the Mariners 19 times a year).
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you want to hate anyone, hate the ownership for paying the salaries. They have the ultimate say, they are the ones who write the checks. >>

Problem is, the last time they tried to restrict players' salaries, they got busted for collusion.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Not collusion if instead of jacking up ticket prices, concession prices, parking prices, they just refuse to pay someone $30 mill a year. A salary cap (and floor) would fix most of these problems. Give a floor of $80, a cap of $120, and if someone wants to pay Arod $30 mill per, they are going to eat up 1/4 of their payroll in one guy.
  • Cubs will overpay for him and play him at SS.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    imageimage
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a move across town to Shae is in order.

That would be nice image
  • fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    i think if he doesn't accept an offer by the trading deadline the yankees will pick mark texeira and hank blaylock from the rangers.

they are in need of a 1st baseman now and blaylock solves the problem at third next year

i think arod will get 30 million plus from whatever team he signs with. i think a bidding war is coming the same way it was when he left seattle. who thought he would get 25.2 a year
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I heard a possibility today as to why the Yankees are willing to renegotiate during the season for A-Rod. Texas is still paying about $15 mil/yr of the contract. If A-Rod opts out, the Rangers are off the hook and if the Yankees were to re-sign him they would be paying the full amount. If they can re-sign him before he opts out, Texas will still have to help pay for him for the next 3 years per the original contract.

I'd say the Yankees have about $45 million reasons to change their policy on negotiating during the season.

I predict A-Rod will go to the Angels for $30-32 million unless the Yankees give him about $35 million per year with the Rangers help.
    Travis

• From espn.com -

After the New York Yankees on Wednesday indicated they would break from tradition and negotiate during the season with Alex Rodriguez on a contract extension, his agent moved in quickly to define what it would take to keep the superstar third baseman playing in New York.

And that would be unprecedented millions per season.

In a telephone interview with the New York Post, Scott Boras said Rodriguez assuredly will become Major League Baseball's first $30 million-a-year player.

However, Boras said he will not take up the Yankees' offer to negotiate before the season ends.

"We are not going to be negotiating during the season," Boras said. Boras insisted he could see no way that strategy will change, saying "This is Alex's decision. This has been his policy, and I fully expect this to continue to be his policy."

MLB sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that the Yankees were willing to negotiate with Rodriguez -- under the condition that he agrees not to opt out of his current contract after this season and that he agrees to tack on any extension to that deal, which expires after the 2010 season.

Even if his client doesn't go the opt-out route, Boras told the Post that there are existing stipulations in the current deal that all but guarantee Rodriguez would earn a minimum of $32 million in both the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

"The way the provision operates, he either gets that or he can become a free agent after any of those seasons again," Boras told the newspaper.

Approximately one-third of the remaining $81 million of the current contract is being paid by the Texas Rangers, which was part of the trade that brought Rodriguez to New York.

Though the Yankees are underperforming so far this season, it's not Rodriguez's fault. He led the major leagues at the All-Star break with 30 home runs and 86 RBIs and has a .317 average.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

<< <i>Though the Yankees are underperforming so far this season, it's not Rodriguez's fault. He led the major leagues at the All-Star break with 30 home runs and 86 RBIs and has a .317 average. >>

It never is. More huge numbers on a mediocre team. Can't say I'll miss him.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not collusion if instead of jacking up ticket prices, concession prices, parking prices, they just refuse to pay someone $30 mill a year. A salary cap (and floor) would fix most of these problems. Give a floor of $80, a cap of $120, and if someone wants to pay Arod $30 mill per, they are going to eat up 1/4 of their payroll in one guy. >>

I'm also a supporter of a cap and floor in principle, but the structure of baseball economics is far different than in other leagues like the NFL and NBA.

In MLB, money from broadcast rights for the most part go the teams involved, and not the league. As a result the teams which have the most lucrative media markets (and the teams the networks most often want to show) get a ridiculous percentage of the TV revenue. That's the main reason for the discrepancy in revenues between, say, the Yankees and the Royals.

In contrast, the TV contracts with the NFL are made with the league, and the league distributes the revenue to all 32 teams equally. So no teams -- even in the smallest media markets -- are at a huge revenue disadvantage. That's why a cap can work in the NFL -- the Packers and the Chiefs get just as much from the TV deal as the Giants and the Jets.

A salary floor in MLB without TV revenue sharing would likely still break the smallest-market teams.

As far as baseball economics are concerned, salary caps would not *ever* fly with the union without relatively generous salary floors, and salary floors would never fly with the smaller market teams without revenue sharing. And revenue sharing would never fly with the Yankees and the Red Sox. So it's a stalemate.
  • No one is worth 30 mill.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As far as baseball economics are concerned, salary caps would not *ever* fly with the union without relatively generous salary floors, and salary floors would never fly with the smaller market teams without revenue sharing. And revenue sharing would never fly with the Yankees and the Red Sox. So it's a stalemate. >>

Exactly... It doesn't matter if there's a cap or not, that doesn't pertain to this.

If the owners decide not to pay skyrocketing salaries, the players union will pull the collusion card. Once bitten, twice shy.

So, if it's not the owners' fault, who's is it?

The players? The agents? The union?
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another cycle of stupid contracts has started.

Started with Soriano, now we have $20 mil a year for a singles hitter, now $30 mil for Pay-Rod. Small to mid market teams will continue to suck, even with their new stadiums. D-Rays and Marlins may go bankrupt, and there are no cities left to move to that will get them any decent revenue. We may even have a team with a nice stadium (i.e. Pittsburgh, Arizona) go under.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say he opts out to go for another ridiculas record setting deal.

The only way to prevent this crazziness IMO is to not gaurentee these deals and maybe do contracts based on incentives IE: a Mill if you bat .280 or 2 Mill if you bat .300 something along those lines.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you want to hate anyone, hate the ownership for paying the salaries. They have the ultimate say, they are the ones who write the checks. >>

One could make the argument that much of the blame ultimately rests with us. Until fans are willing to stay away, not tune in and not consume on a grand scale, we should really just hold our complaints.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

<< <i>

One could make the argument that much of the blame ultimately rests with us. Until fans are willing to stay away, not tune in and not consume on a grand scale, we should really just hold our complaints. >>

I agree with that! I have not been to a Red Sox game since 1995, I refuse to go and get ripped off while these guys are making MILLIONS! I love my Red Sox but only on the television.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I think A-Rod will opt out, but I don't think his reasons are purely financial. I think his feelings/ego is still bruised from last year when Yankee fans booed him and Torre dropped him in the lineup. I also think that he's realized that maybe New York isn't his best chance at winning a ring and that he will never be "the man" as long as Jeter is in pinstripes. Someone with a makeup like A-Rod needs to be the big fish in whichever pond he's swimming in. Whether or not he can be the go-to guy and still have a successful team is another matter (I, for one, don't think he's a true leader).

As far as the Yankees motivation goes, if A-Rod does opt out, aren't both the Yankees and the Rangers relieved of their financial obligations? Maybe I'm being too much of a cynical Yankee hater here, but this seems like a political move to me. By "breaking tradition" and offering to negotiate in-season it appears the Yankees are going above and beyond to keep A-Rod when they knew all along that he wasn't going to give up his opt out rights. Could it be that Steinbrenner doesn't think he's getting a good return on his investment in spite of the amazing numbers? Maybe George will be happy if he can get out from underneath this contract and pursue someone younger, cheaper, and more cohesive with Yankee chemistry? By offering to work with him, the Yankees now look benevolant and Boras-Rod just looks greedier.

I'm just rambling, but if I were Steinbrenner, I wouldn't mind bidding adieu to A-Rod and the stigma of having the highest paid player in baseball and a sub .500 record at the same time.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>Maybe a move across town to Shae is in order.

That would be nice image >>

I used to like you Matt.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe a move across town to Shae is in order.

That would be nice image >>

I used to like you Matt. >>

• SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>I think A-Rod will opt out, but I don't think his reasons are purely financial. I think his feelings/ego is still bruised from last year when Yankee fans booed him and Torre dropped him in the lineup. I also think that he's realized that maybe New York isn't his best chance at winning a ring and that he will never be "the man" as long as Jeter is in pinstripes. Someone with a makeup like A-Rod needs to be the big fish in whichever pond he's swimming in. Whether or not he can be the go-to guy and still have a successful team is another matter (I, for one, don't think he's a true leader).

As far as the Yankees motivation goes, if A-Rod does opt out, aren't both the Yankees and the Rangers relieved of their financial obligations? Maybe I'm being too much of a cynical Yankee hater here, but this seems like a political move to me. By "breaking tradition" and offering to negotiate in-season it appears the Yankees are going above and beyond to keep A-Rod when they knew all along that he wasn't going to give up his opt out rights. Could it be that Steinbrenner doesn't think he's getting a good return on his investment in spite of the amazing numbers? Maybe George will be happy if he can get out from underneath this contract and pursue someone younger, cheaper, and more cohesive with Yankee chemistry? By offering to work with him, the Yankees now look benevolant and Boras-Rod just looks greedier.

I'm just rambling, but if I were Steinbrenner, I wouldn't mind bidding adieu to A-Rod and the stigma of having the highest paid player in baseball and a sub .500 record at the same time. >>

An excellent analysis, especially on the image of the Yankees by offering to negotiate now. If nothing else George will always take action or spend money to maximize his chances. It's a good move as we leave the All Star break with the rumors of Arod looking at the Angels or Giants.

I think that in the end he will stay because he wants to prove that his time in NY has been worthwhile. The team is a few prospects away from another run of championship seasons and it looks like those prospects are in development.

One thing for certain, the guy is dancing the fools dance these days in having a great year while the team struggles. I for one am happy for him and hope that he gets a WS title with the Yanks.

<< <i>An excellent analysis, especially on the image of the Yankees by offering to negotiate now. If nothing else George will always take action or spend money to maximize his chances. It's a good move as we leave the All Star break with the rumors of Arod looking at the Angels or Giants. >>

No way the Giants can afford him while they are busy mortgaging their future so Bonds can hit #756 in a Giants uniform.
  • Bonds is done after this season...he won't be playing in SF (or anywhere) next year, freeing up a ton of space (and the spotlight) to bring Arod in.

Actually Bonds has made it clear that he plans to return in '08, I saw that on Espn about a week ago.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    If A-Rod opts out, where does he land? Resign a better deal with NYY, Anaheim, Chicago Cubs??? Regardless, he is going to get another raise - as will Scott BorASS.

<< <i>If A-Rod opts out, where does he land? Resign a better deal with NYY, Anaheim, Chicago Cubs??? Regardless, he is going to get another raise - as will Scott BorASS. >>

The Yankees apparently said that if he doesn't renegotiate an extension during the season, if he opts for free agency they will not be a bidder.

We'll see.
  • ESPN was reporting this morning that the Red Sox would be a bidder if ARod went for free agency.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ESPN was reporting this morning that the Red Sox would be a bidder if ARod went for free agency. >>

even if not true, it will force Cashman to spend more $$$!
  • Red Sox will release that they are a bidder to drive up the price another team would ultimately pay. There's some bad blood between Arod and Boston, just due to the NY/Boston rivalry that he won't end up there.

Yankees, Angels, Giants are the likely 3...Cubs if Cuban takes over.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    We are not going to be negotiating during the season," Boras said

In fact Bora$$ doesn't negotiate at all, he basically says this is what we want, and if we dont get it we will walk. LET HIM WALK....and come crawling back, that will show how "tough" Bora$$ is. The only problem is that another team would step up to the plate...hopefully for less. How many times would that have to happen for Boras to lose all his clients along with his "reputation"
  • Why all the hate for Boras?

He gets his clients paid the max money - that's his job. Hate the owners for paying the money and putting the crimp on the fans...but to hate a guy whose job it is to get his clients the most money just seems odd.
    Boras does what his clients want and that is show them the FREAKIN' money. Its as simple as that

<< <i>Why all the hate for Boras? >>

Because he's so good at what he does that it hurts the game, IMO.

• << <i>

<< <i>Why all the hate for Boras? >>

Because he's so good at what he does that it hurts the game, IMO. >>

How do you figure? By all accounts MLB has never been more flush with cash.

What hurts the game is no salary cap. If you want to direct your ire somewhere, perhaps it should directed at the player's union president, not agents doing their job.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i dont think steinbrenner will get rid of him or a-rod leave, the yankees are great at buying the best players,thats how that got all those pennants, i dont see why george would want to get rid of him, i cant see him going to the giant unless bonds goes somewhere else, like japan to play-but he just might want to get rid of the yanks, ya never know, we'll just have to wait and see, not a whole lot of talk about baseball trades and stuff going on withalll the controvery in all these other sports,it seems to have taken a back shelf to benoit/vick/nba ref/pacman jones...and as bill goldberg used to say on big time"pro" lol wrestling ,WHOS NEXT!!!! image
  • Hmmmm......

1B - Derek Lee
    2B - Some Guys who switch from time to time
    3B - Aramis Ramirez
    C - Jason Kendall

Hmmm, what SS is available from the NYY that could complete this marvelous infield?

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmmm......

1B - Derek Lee
    2B - Some Guys who switch from time to time
    3B - Aramis Ramirez
    C - Jason Kendall

Hmmm, what SS is available from the NYY that could complete this marvelous infield? >>

Rich Aurilia??? image