Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone know what this is?

Reverse looks like a Netherlands 1C, but the obverse is very different and no 2C is shown in my 4th edition 1801-1900 Krause. It's about 26 mm in diameter. Date is 1837-V.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't have any books at work, but found a small reference to this, maybe someone has access to the full records?

ANS Search Result

ANS 2004.9.4848
    (Empty fields are not shown.)

Department SA
    Object Type C
    Material C
    Denomination 2 cent
    Date on Object 1837
    Start Date 1837
    End Date 1837
    Reference |||||||||||||||||||
    Ex. James J. Boyle
    Region Netherland East Indies
    Person |||||||||||||||||||
    Locality Indonesia
    Preferred URL: http://www.numismatics.org/lookup.cgi?string=2004.9.4848
    Find Related ANS Resources
    Find Related Internet Resources
    High-quality images of objects in the ANS collection can be ordered. See details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jeff, but it doesn't show-up in my Krause under Netherlands East Indies.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Jeff, but it doesn't show-up in my Krause under Netherlands East Indies. >>

I'm sure it doesn't - I wish my boss would let me keep books at work image

See if any of this makes sense to you, about the only other clue I can find with search engines: What is KM291 in the book?

2 CENT 1837V 291 SUMATERA , NETHERLANDS POSESSIONS

EDIT: I found some like that using cached Canadian eBay listings - They listed them as KINGDOM OF THE NETHERLANDS (SUMATRA ISL KM291) and called a double duit in some auctions - hope that helps you locate it.

EDIT2 - OK, I'm home now, and can't find it either in the 1801-1900 book - I don't have the unusual coin book, maybe it's in there??

Jeff

• Options
    It does appear to be the Sumatra - Double Duit KM 291, listed on page 722 of the 3rd edition of 1801-1900 book
  • Options

<< <i>It does appear to be the Sumatra - Double Duit KM 291, listed on page 722 of the 3rd edition of 1801-1900 book >>

What country heading is it under? I have the 4th edition and can't seem to locate it image Unless it's under something crazy, my guess would be they jettisoned it to the unusual catalog when the 4th edition came out.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a real coin, but you won't find it in the 4th edition - it's an error in the listing. As has been mentioned here on the forum several times in the past, everything for Netherlands East Indies / Indonesia from around 1806 to around 1850 fell into a black hole when the 4th ed. came out. I haven't heard about whether they're still missing from the 5th ed..
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    Hi, That coin is a 2 cent piece ( Also called the Double Duit) from the Island of Sumatra-Kingdom of the Netherlands.
    Copper-1837V, Mintage= 54,812,000. Mint Master= K.J. de Vogel. KM 291, as of the 1995 Standard Catalog of World Coins (Krause) page 1185. Reverse says "NEDERL INDIE" VG=$1.50 American in 1995.
    J.Cordeiro
    "I has a bucket." - Minazo.
    Minazo the LOLRUS, 1994-2005