Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 topps football rack packs

i'm sitting here busting some rack packs and out of the first 16, i've had 3 racks that have "gum" stained cards and one actually had a sticker insert "foil" ken anderson. i thought these were only issued in the wax packs.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    that seems really odd, where did you get the packs? did any of the seals look suspicious? on a side note, if you have any mrmt-mt cards left over i have a few holes left in my set. Let me know what you'd like in return.

35, 51, 56, 58, 112, 130, 196, 206, 210, 237, 242, 257, 291, 318, 434, 435, 486, 488, 489

Thanks,
    Brian
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    there was nothing suspicious looking about the packs. purchased from a reputable source.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    David, thats very suspicious. These might be like the notorious Baseball Christmas Rack packs. That's when Topps took back some old vending and open packs and repackaged the cards into Rack packs with a Christmas logo. It sounds to me that either this happened, or someone was able to resale cards into a rack pack and than put them into an empty Rack box.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Topps most likely repackaged returned product at the end of the year to blow them out. Yours probably originally came from wax boxes, and instead of "X"-ing them out like they usually did, they opened the packs and repackaged as racks to meet demand. It's the only thing I can think of seeing as how early 80s racks are not resealable. I wasn't aware that they did this, but they did all kinds of strange things back then.

Lee
  • Options
    Lee,
    i hope that is the case. it sounds like a reasonable thing to do on their end.

i did pull 2 montana's and 2 taylors...both OC t/b.

arsenal83, i'll see what i can do for you.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Also, why would anybody take the time to reseal them when they could just thumb the packs if they wanted to search them?
  • Options
    lee,
    agree 100%. i pulled several star cards. no reason someone would reseal with gum stained cards and leave in the stars. LOL

i am very pleased with the product.

no complaints on my end, i was proposing a question to the board to see if they had ever ran across the same thing. from what you said earlier regarding topps, i believe this to be the case.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)