Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I still say......

The cheapest way to acquire gold bullion is via moder gold comms' which can be bought for under melt. Sometimes, they are giving them away.

I am putting them away for the day when gold is well north of $1000. And that day is coming!

Here is but one example!

Text

Gotta look hard and get lucky. But they are there.

Comments

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭
    Where are you finding them for under melt?
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show me one being sold for under melt.
  • Options
    theumptheump Posts: 634 ✭✭
    Here is but one example!

Text

Gotta look hard and get lucky. But they are there.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Show me one being sold for under melt. >>

Yeah, I'd like in on some of that action myself.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's One!!!!!

image >>

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options

<< <i>Text

Gotta look hard and get lucky. But they are there. >>

Is that under melt? Isn't that gold coin a tenth ounce? (or is it a quarter ounce?)
  • Options
    They are quarter ounce coins.
  • Options

<< <i>They are quarter ounce coins. >>

my bad...my brain isn't working!
  • Options
    After shipping, that's barely under melt, if you count the value of the silver commem.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Spot right now is $652, however, when I bought the coin, it was $670ish.

I am not going to debate whether this is a good strategy or not. My goal is to acquire as much gold, in terms of ounces, for the cheapest price. And I think this is the cheapest way I have seen!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still laugh at the sets I bough about 3 years ago for under 100 bucks.

Of course gold had yet to really move, but many of the 80s and early 90s commem sets with gold half eagle were available for about $90 to $95.
    That's how I purchased most of my earlier moderm commem sets.
  • Options
    The winner of that coin had to pay $169.30 to have it shipped to them insured. That would make it over melt even if spot price were at $670.

$169.30 x 4 = $677.20

• Options

<< <i>I still laugh at the sets I bough about 3 years ago for under 100 bucks.

Of course gold had yet to really move, but many of the 80s and early 90s commem sets with gold half eagle were available for about $90 to $95.
    That's how I purchased most of my earlier moderm commem sets. >>

And let me guess, people made fun of you back then?
  • Options

<< <i>The winner of that coin had to pay $169.30 to have it shipped to them insured. That would make it over melt even if spot price were at $670.

$169.30 x 4 = $677.20 >>

You forgot the silver coin.
  • Options

<< <i>The winner of that coin had to pay $169.30 to have it shipped to them insured. That would make it over melt even if spot price were at $670.

$169.30 x 4 = $677.20 >>

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! But thanks for playing.

$160 x 4 = $640

(no insurance)

$640 + 7 = $647

(you would not be paying shipping four times)
  • Options

<< <i>

$169.30 x 4 = $677.20 >>

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! But thanks for playing.

$160 x 4 = $640

(no insurance)

$640 + 7 = $647

(you would not be paying shipping four times) >>

Shipping gold without insurance? Mm Hm, good luck with that bud.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    So when do you think gold will be over $1000/oz? Because if you take your $651.60 and invest it at 8%, it will be worth $1000 in 5 years.

No matter what way you slice it, precious metals are NOT now, NEVER have been, and NEVER will be a good investment.

My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options

(you would not be paying shipping four times) >>

Shipping gold without insurance? Mm Hm, good luck with that bud. >>

For that small amount, it's not worth the bother. I have NEVER had a problem.
  • Options

<< <i>(you would not be paying shipping four times) >>

For that small amount, it's not worth the bother. I have NEVER had a problem. >>

Yet.
  • Options

<< <i>So when do you think gold will be over $1000/oz? Because if you take your $651.60 and invest it at 8%, it will be worth $1000 in 5 years.

No matter what way you slice it, precious metals are NOT now, NEVER have been, and NEVER will be a good investment. >>

A lot sooner than five years. Probably, half that time.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>(you would not be paying shipping four times) >>

For that small amount, it's not worth the bother. I have NEVER had a problem. >>

Yet. >>

For larger purposes, I use inurance. And you are probably right, I should use it on the smaller ones also.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So when do you think gold will be over $1000/oz? Because if you take your $651.60 and invest it at 8%, it will be worth $1000 in 5 years.

No matter what way you slice it, precious metals are NOT now, NEVER have been, and NEVER will be a good investment. >>

A lot sooner than five years. Probably, half that time. >>

I'll also assume that you don't realize that gold CAN'T get to $1000 oz. The price of gold is market driven to a point, then it is artifical to keep the world's economies afloat. To put it another way, you better hope gold never gets to $1000 oz.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options

<< <i>

I'll also assume that you don't realize that gold CAN'T get to $1000 oz. The price of gold is market driven to a point, then it is artifical to keep the world's economies afloat. To put it another way, you better hope gold never gets to $1000 oz. >>

I am quite versed on how the gold market trades. One of the reasons it didn't make it past $700 about a month ago is because of the European Central Bank selling. However, this time, because the world is awased in dollars, and the dollar is doomed to fail, gold will shine. Gold is slowly, leaving it's status as a commodity and entering it's status as a currency. (What the ECB's are selling, the Asians, and Middle East is buying).
  • Options

<< <i>Gold is slowly, leaving it's status as a commodity and entering it's status as a currency. >>

If and when that actually happens you'll be busy trying to stay alive and feed yourself and your family instead of wringing your hands on the amount of profit your gold has made.
  • Options
    Gold, on an inflation adjusted basis, is no where even near where it topped in 1980. And, the problems now are much worse than they were then.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    In actuality, the coins contain .241875 oz of pure gold. There are occasions when you can find something that is less than melt, but I do not believe that you would be able to spend much money at that rate.

If you were willing to pay a 5% premium, then you probably spend whatever you wished to.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file