Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1832-The 5th informative picture thread covering the Capped Bust Half Series. Post your CBH's

Comments

• Options
    The 1832 O-114, R4+ die marriage. The coin is ex Russ Logan collection.

This die marriage, though rated as very scarce, is a really tough coin to find in a higher grade.

The obverse was struck using obv. die 9-s2. This was the second use of this die. The die was used previously to strike the O-113 die marriage. By the time the LDS of the O-113 (called O-113a) were being struck, the die was already in bad shape. The obverse die when striking the O-113a (now called obv. die 9-s2) was producing coins with no milling, stars drawn to the edge, and most specimens showed a double profile at the lips.

The obverse die was in this condition when it was matched up with a new reverse die (rev. die K) to strike the O-114.

A large part of the reason the O-114 has a rarity rating of R4+ is that the obverse die did not last long. Reverse K was soon matched with the new obverse die 10 to strike the O-115.

Quick identifiers for attributing and cherrypicking this very scarce die marriage:

(1) On the obverse there is a "throat dot" at the juncture of the chin and the neck. This dot can be seen on my coin. Remember, this same die marriage was struck with the obverse die used on the O-113, so the O-113 has the same dot. Refer to Mozin's excellent photos and description of the O-113 on this Thread. Bear in mind, this dot is usually only seen on better grade specimens.

(2) On the reverse there are multiple lines beneath the breast feathers and above the claw of the eagle. Tough to see in my photo. Easier seen with a magnifier and the coin in hand. These may all but impossible to see on lower grade specimens. Refer to Peterson's book, "The Ultimate Guide..." for a great photo of this diagnostic.

Photos of the 1832 O-114, R4+:

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1832 O-110 R1:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper half of dentil. A small spike protrudes into field from peak of cap. “3” is low. (Obverse is LDS of O-109.)

Reverse: “5” has a straight pointed top, shows recutting at its outer curve, and is higher than a large “0”. “I” centered under left side of “T”.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rodius - Very nice looking Bust Half !!
    Mozin - Super run of 1832 Halves. Love your Large Letter O-101a. image
  • Options
    Thanks coinnut.image
  • Options
    Here is the reverse of one of my 1832 O 101. The break on the left wing is about as small as I have ever seen. Any thoughts out there. Would this be as close to Prime as you are going to get?

• Options

<< <i>Here is the reverse of one of my 1832 O 101. The break on the left wing is about as small as I have ever seen. Any thoughts out there. Would this be as close to Prime as you are going to get? >>

I don't recall seeing one with a smaller die break, but then, most of us want the biggest break we can find. You die state collectors are a different breed.
  • Options
    Monzin, bigger isn't always better, cracks I mean. Here is one of my 101a's. If I had known you were interested in the ones with the larger breaks I would have sold the dozen I recently sold to you if you were interested. Most were vf and xf but with large die breaks. Your post in Jan. 06 of your 101a is a real nice high grade example. I think you too like the varieties from all the nice coin posts you have made. You know what they say, variety is the spice of life!

• Options
    Here is a 1832 O 104 with the triangle at the right side of the eagle's neck, one way to determine the Overton # quickly! An earlier posted picture of a 104 did not have the triangle at neck, neat!

• Options
    edmerlredmerlr Posts: 563
    The 1832 O-109 die marriage.

This is a very scarce R4 die marriage.

The obverse of this die marriage was struck using Obverse die 6. This was the second and last use of this die. It was used immediately prior to strike the O-110.

The reverse of this die marriage was struck using Reverse die F. This was the first of two uses of this die. The die was used immediately after to strike the O-107.

Quick identifiers for this die marriage are:

(1) In the date the 3 is a little lower than the 182.

(2) On the obverse there is an elevated hair curl between the R and T in LIBERTY.

(3) On the reverse both T's in STATES are rotated counterclockwise.

(4) Also on the reverse there is crooked tine that extends up approximately 1 1/2 mm from the right corner of the shield into the field between the eagle's neck and the right wing.

Photos of the 1832 O-109, R4:

• Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprized this one hasn't been shown yet. 1832 O102a. Picked this one up at the FUN show.

The rev is the key to this one.The die was lapped to almost remove the tailfeathers over the left claw.

Also the arrows are crude,and attached by die defects,and there is a spike from the bottom of the right wing.

1832 O-102a
    imageimage
    computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • Options
    Mepot,

That is a very pretty Bustie.image Those arrowheads look like they came from the stone age, and the eagle's tail sure looks plucked.image
  • Options
    jpo1965jpo1965 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    can anyone tell by scans the o number and r? just got it today
    Old coins
  • Options
    imageimage

jpo1935,

Take a look at the O-106 I posted in October. I think yours matches.
  • Options
    jpo1965jpo1965 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    thanks alot mozin image
    Old coins
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1832 O-115 R1:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower edge of dentil. “1” has a blunt top serif. “3” is low.

Reverse: Bottom crossbar extends to far right. Many very fine vertical die lines show between right claw and feathers. “I” is centered below “T”. (Reverse shared with O-114.)
  • Options
  • Options
    Pinealbany,

Welcome to our Capped Bust Half Dollar series. Your coin is O-113 R2. Someone posted one like it, so you may want to compare pictures.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks Mozin!!! What about this one?

• Options
    pinealbany,

Your 1830 marriage is posted in the 1830 CBH thread. If you post your coin there, I can give you the Overton number.image

1830 CBH thread
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

tydye,

Nice looking 1832 Small Letter Reverse O-103 R1.image
  • Options
    FEVERFEVER Posts: 232
    Here's the 1832 O-105, R3. Obverse shows that the date is low with a full serif on the 1. The reverse shows the C VERY CLOSE to the end of the olive stem and the 5 numeral is tall with a straight pointed top. I is centered under T. There is a small tine at the right corner of the shield visible under magnification.

Edgar

• Options
    Here is an 1832, O-122, R1. Obverse: The 3 is tipped more to the left than the 182 in date and the 1 has a LONG serif. Reverse: I is centered under left side of T. The right corner of the shield goes upward, past it's normal distance, due to a graver slip.

Edgar

• Options
    Speety pointed me in this direction and told me to post my 1832 half in this thread so here she is. This one caught my eye because of the huge die break running right across the obverse of the coin.

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Tim. Looks like a O-120a. Rarity 3.
  • Options
    123cents: Speety gave the coin the same designation as you just did. You guys seem to have a very firm grasp of these coins. He also pointed me in the direction of Overton's book, which I will be looking for in the near future. Thanks Tim
  • Options
    Ctelectrician,

Welcome to our CU Capped Bust Half Dollar series. You are contributing member 124.
  • Options
    Thanks Mozin. Glad to be a part of this thread.
  • Options
    Here's mine

• Options
    Oldcameoproofsguy,

You have a very pretty O-103 R1.image
  • Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    My AU55

• Options
    Thanks mozin! I have really enjoyed these threads. There have been some really awesome coins posted.
  • Options
    Recent purchase:

Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    1832, O-103, R1

Edgar

• Options
    1832, O-104, R3

Edgar

• Options
    1832, O-107, R2

Edgar

• Options
    1832, O-108, R3 (Recent upgrade)

Edgar

• Options
    1832, O-109, R4

Edgar

• Options
    1832, O-110, R1

Edgar

• Options
    1832, O-112, R2

Edgar

• Options
    1832, O-113(a) Very Late Die State, R4

Edgar

• Options
    1832, O-115, R1

Edgar

• Options
    1832, O-121, R3

Edgar

• Options

<< <i>Recent purchase:

image >>

I think this might have got lost in the Fever-flood, hope y'all don't mind me reposting. I would really like to hear some input on it, regarding type, grade, the toning, anything else those more knowledgeable would like to share. Thanks!

Joe
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    Jobiwan115,

I think your coin is O-118 R1. See how it matches up to mine.

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1832 O-118 R1:

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. A tiny die line joins Miss Liberty’s lips. Date is low, and 3 is slender and open.

imageimage

Reverse: 5 and 0 are close together, and 5 has a thick stubby top. The upper left corner of the shield is doubled. I centered under left side of T.
  • Options
    I see the similarities you pointed out, thanks. Any thoughts on the grade? And any opinions on the toning? (NT/AT)
    Joe G.
  • Options
    Another missing die state: The 1832 O-120'b', R7?

Same as the O-120a, R3 except there is a die chip in the die break in front of the portrait.

This is not listed in the O/P books. It is listed in Herrman's AMBPR.

There is only one auction record for this die state in the AMBPR. Herrman says that it is probably R7.

I disagree. I think that as more people become aware of this die state, look for this die state, and recognize this die state, more specimens will be found.

I suspect that it will really end up as a R4+ or R5 coin.

Photos of my 1832 O-120 with the die chip in the die crack:

• Options
    My Gosh, it has been 16 days since a posting was made on this 1832 Thread. Has everyone left town for the summer?

OK. I don't like to post two times in a row, but here's another one.

This is the missing 1832 O-102 die MARRIAGE from our Thread. I am posting both the EDS and the LDS of this coin.

The obverse of this die marriage was struck using Obverse die 1. This was the first of two uses of this die. The die was next used to strike the well-known 1832 O-101 DM (Remember? The O-101 has the awesome die break across the left wing.) The O-101 and O-102 were almost the last 1832 dated Busties struck in the calendar year 1832. (Two more 1832 dated Busties would be later struck in the calendar year 1833.)

The reverse of this die marriage was struck using Reverse die B. This was the last of two uses of this reverse die. It was used immediately prior to strike the 1832 O-104.

Quick identifiers of this die marriage are:

(1) On the obverse there is a fine line traversing the lips and traversing to the chin. Before it reaches the chin it curves outward.
    (2) The 8 has been recut. The recutting is easier seen inside the upper portion of the lower loop. (It can be seen best on my LDS coin's photo.)
    (3) The base of the A is much higher than the base of the M.
    (4) There is a die defect prong extending down from the tip of the right wing. (This is the first thing I would look for on an 1832 to attribute it---besides looking for a die break on the left wing which would attribute the coin to be [in that case] the O-101.)

Photos of the "common" 1832 O-102, R1:

The Late Die State of the O-102 die marriage is considered scarce. It is called the O-102a.

It is identical to the O-102 except that the die has been lapped to remove the tail feathers above the left claw (clearly seen in my photo) and the stems of berries now appear to be threadlike.

Photos of my 1832 O-102a, R3:

• Options
    Another nice specimen of a previously shown marriage.

imageimage

Some diagnostics for Large Letter reverse 1832 O-101a R1:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to center of dentil. A fine vertical die line joins lips to chin. Star 7 points to upper half of dentil, and to junction of curl and headband. Cap extends over headband to curl. 1 shows recutting right of upright. 8 shows recutting inside bottom loop at top, and right of upper loop. (Obverse shared with O-102.)

imageimage

Reverse: Die lumps from a rusted die show between stem of lower leaves and the lower berry, also lumps inside of OF. On this LDS, the earlier break now crosses entire left wing, and runs on down to olive leaves. A die crack shows from lower berry across leaves, and to UNI. Left sides of I and T are in line.
  • Options
    Here is another missing die STATE: The 1832 O-105a, R4.

This very scarce die state is listed as a R3 in the O/P book. The Bust Half Nut Club, after careful, well thought out research using auction records and surveys, upgraded the rarity of this die state to R4 in 1998.

The die state is identical to the O-105 except that the O-105a is a coin struck with worn obverse and reverse dies.

This would be the last use of Obverse Die 3, but Reverse Die D (now called D-s2 for the striking of the O-105a) would be used immediately after to strike another very scarce 1832 die marriage, the O-117, R4+.

The O-105a's obverse is a coin that shows the use of a greatly deteriorated die. There is little or not milling visible. All stars are drawn to the edge and later states show the date joined to the rim by die chipping.

The coin's reverse also has little milling visible and the letters are drawn to the edge, especially UNITED STATES.

Photos of my 1832 O-105a, R4:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file