Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just purchased an ASE 20th Anv set, why?

First of all, I'm a Peace Dollar fan, it has been basically the only coin I collect. BUT, the other day a co-worker came to work and showed me his Reverse Proof ASE that he had bought the previous week, I couldn't believe how great this coin looked! I said to myself, I've gotta get one of these!!!

I was first going to just get the Rev-Proof, but then thought that getting the whole set PCGS graded in 69 with the original packaging would be the best route to take. I pulled the trigger tonight, and bought a set at $540 on the bay. I know this is a lot more then what they were issued at just a few months back, but figured I had to get a set before I couldn't justify it as the prices keep going up and up, just in the week I've been watching them!

I thought I'd post this to share to others, how someone that has had ZERO interest in these coins in the past will take this set and stash it away for many years.

Comments

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!~~!
    The graded set is a good call.
    Enjoy the Peaceful RP beauty......

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    That is what is driving the price. Once you see them, You want one, Or Two image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    These sets are leaving the weak hands of flippers into the strong hands of collectors and are being stashed away for years to come. I expect prices to continue to increase as the supply diminishes.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First of all, I'm a Peace Dollar fan, it has been basically the only coin I collect. BUT, the other day a co-worker came to work and showed me his Reverse Proof ASE that he had bought the previous week, I couldn't believe how great this coin looked! I said to myself, I've gotta get one of these!!!

I was first going to just get the Rev-Proof, but then thought that getting the whole set PCGS graded in 69 with the original packaging would be the best route to take. I pulled the trigger tonight, and bought a set at $540 on the bay. I know this is a lot more then what they were issued at just a few months back, but figured I had to get a set before I couldn't justify it as the prices keep going up and up, just in the week I've been watching them!

I thought I'd post this to share to others, how someone that has had ZERO interest in these coins in the past will take this set and stash it away for many years. >>

shhhhh....don't let 291fifth or fc hear you.....the thought that someone can pay current prices for a modern bullion coin based on desire of design and not on flipping is blasphemy to them!!!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Good investment...
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<First of all, I'm a Peace Dollar fan>>

You can't be all bad then image

Peace be the journey! If I could just get a nice MS grade 1934-S to upgrade my set I would be happy!
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Congratulations. You may be a little late to the party, but I sincerely believe that it will STILL pan out to be a good, solid investment. Even if it doesn't, you have a beautiful set of coins that you'll enjoy for a lifetime.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BUT, the other day a co-worker came to work and showed me his Reverse Proof ASE that he had bought the previous week, I couldn't believe how great this coin looked! >>

I agree. It's one of the few things the mint has produced recently that I really like.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For being late, you did ok. I don't think you will regret the price you paid... look how much they have gone up since.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Had 10 sold 9 sets early and still got about what the sets are bring now, thanks to first strike and some 70's.

But I did buy 2 sets about a week and a half ago for $385 each. I have already enjoyed a 35% increase. Who knew?

Guess I should have bought and bought this whole time.

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    DOH I can't stand the excitement.

I just went Here and bought 6 NGC reverse proofs at $319 a piece. I am maxed out I can't buy another thing, but with as hot as this market is I gotta gamble.

There is (1) PCGS 20th anniversary pf69 available at the same website for $329 well below what they are getting on ebay, if I had anymore room I would have bought it also.

Rob

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

With all the conversation about this set - plus having missed out on buying one directly from the US Mint - I also pulled the trigger last night - but bought the three coins seperately.

I ended paying about the same price for the individual coins as Inditonka...however, mine are raw; my collection of Proof ASE's is in raw state in the original mint capsules inside an Eagle Album whose pages are designed to accept these capsules...I have enough holders included in other sets...I don't need any more.

My bullion MS coins are toning nicely inside a Dansco album.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    The set is good for bringing other collectors into getting the back issues of the series also. Congrats on buying the set. The mint did a good job on these.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file