Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bogus Busties!

Thought I'd post a bogus Bustie and see if there were any others out there that wanted to post one. This is one of my favorites. It's the only time I ever thought Miss Liberty had an ugly sister!

Edgar

Comments

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Miss Liberty's sister is kind of fugly.image
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭
    Here are mine. They are common varieties, but any of these are cool, especially the 1830. I find them most interesting pieces of numismatic Americana and important for monetary history, and I'm sure I'll add new examples in the future. (Oddly, I have no US Mint-issued bust halves.)

The "impossible date" 1838 Dav. 3-C:

1833 Dav. 1-A (note that the counterfeiter used the same reverse on the 1833 and 1838):

1830 Dav. 2-B:
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting!

Are these contemporary fakes, or modern work from the Beijing People's Basement Mint?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Thought I had a picture of my contemporary counterfeit, but I don't. Anyway, it's an 1809 and looks a lot like Aegis' 1838; $20 Ebay purchase about a month ago.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This counterfiet Bust dollar cost me all of $25.image

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Miss Liberty's sister is kind of fugly.image >>

Yeah, but she's easy.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    These look like contemporary fakes for the most part, too. Pretty cool. Especially where they put an 'X' in the coins to see if the coin was made of base metal. Looks like someone 'outed' this one as bad a long time ago!
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting!

Are these contemporary fakes, or modern work from the Beijing People's Basement Mint? >>

Mine (and the 1837 in the first post) are contemporary.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    FEVER,

Thanks for starting this thread on contemporary counterfeit Busties. Be assured any bogies I post are certainly not owned by me. I sure would not want the Feds knocking on my door. image

=========================================

imageimage

Some diagnostics for Bogus 1821 2B very scarce (estimated 3-5):

Obverse 2: Star 7 is shifted to close to cap, and points to the junction of the curl and the headband. There are some lumps above the date. Wide space between 8 and 2.

Reverse: 5 tilts to the left. Top of F is too long. Large C nearly touches the stem.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>This counterfiet Bust dollar cost me all of $25.image

image >>

It looks like this has a reverse based on the 1800 "AMERICAI" variety. This is well-known with modern (1960s-1980s vintage) 1804 counterfeits, so I suspect this one is too. Contemporary counterfeit bust dollars are amazingly rare.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contemporary counterfeit bust coinage is cool. image
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice icon fever...image
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

This looks like 1A, one of the most common Bogies:

Obverse: Large stars, distant from edge. Star 7 nearly touches upper half of headband. Die lump on top of cap, near star 8.

Reverse: Die crud above C in 50 C. Both S's in STATES are too small. Many die lumps, especially above C in 50 C. I is under left side of T.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is 100% coolimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    Cool, that 1837 is the ultimate 'adams apple' variety.image
    computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Edgar,

I can say that of dozens of contemporary counterfeit Bust Halves that I have owned, I have never handled the 1837 variety you posted, even though it is considered "common". That is very cool!

When is Keith going to release the next edition of his book on this subject??
  • Options
    There is still no word on when the second edition of the Bogie Bust Half book will go to print.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

imageimage

Some diagnostics for Bogus 1830 3C scarce (estimated 6-9):

Obverse: 0 is too high. Star 7 points too high, to the fold in the cap. Date is too small.

Reverse: 0 in 50C is too high and leans right. CA too small.
  • Options
    Very nice to see guys....................nice stuff!!!
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contemporary counterfeit coins are interesting and cool.
  • Options
    FEVERFEVER Posts: 232
    Here are a few more for your viewing pleasure. The engraver of the 1833 6F just could not get Miss Liberty OR the Eagle right! The other two are fairly convincing and would have had no problem circulating in the 1830's.

Edgar

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the pics FEVER. Any edge images?
  • Options
    Very cool counterfeits. Thanks for posting them Edgar.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This counterfiet Bust dollar cost me all of $25.image

image >>

It looks like this has a reverse based on the 1800 "AMERICAI" variety. This is well-known with modern (1960s-1980s vintage) 1804 counterfeits, so I suspect this one is too. Contemporary counterfeit bust dollars are amazingly rare. >>

that's because there were so few out there that nobody had ever seen one. Almost all were melted or exported as soon as they were struck.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Bogus 1833 6F common (estimated 10-19):

Obverse: Star 7 way too high above cap, above the first fold. Portrait looks like former president Clinton. Upper serif on “1” is too long.

Reverse: “C” in “50C” is very large, and higher than “50”. The stand of “B” in “PLURIBUS” is centered below “T”.
  • Options
    Numisma,

No edge shots at the moment - I can't find my edge mirrors!!!

Edgar
  • Options
    This thread is 100% excellent!
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Bogus 1828 7G rare (estimated 1 or 2):

Obverse: 182 leans right. Portrait shifted to the left. Large thin stars and date.

Reverse: C and A too far apart. A in STATES is higher than the T’s. Second S in STATES is too high.

Notice how poorly it fits into the Capital holder designed for the Lettered Edge Capped Bust Half Dollar.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Bogus 1823 1A extremely common (estimated at least 50):

Obverse: Star 7 points to center of headband. There is a centering dot on neck. Stars 4 & 5 are too close. Star 8 nearly touches cap. There is a lump above star 7.

Reverse: Ss in STATES are too small. Raised lumps above C in 50C.
  • Options
    A very low grade 1825 1A that sold on eBay yesterday. This one must have fooled a lot of people and circulated for a long time. Compare it to the other 1825 1A from earlier in the thread.

imageimage

• Options

<< <i>A very low grade 1825 1A that sold on eBay yesterday. This one must have fooled a lot of people and circulated for a long time. Compare it to the other 1825 1A from earlier in the thread.

imageimage

image >>

George there was a lot of discussion about your half ATS yesterday.image
  • Options
    I know, I was the one who identified it ATS as the 1A variety.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Bogus 1828 1A scarce (estimated 6-9):

Obverse: 2 and 8 are recut. Stars and date are crude and wirey. Triangular eye which is too high. The curls and hat folds are exaggerated.

Reverse: 50 is low and tilted right. Eagle is blind, because it has no eye. I is just right of the center of A.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I've got an 1809 Bogus Bust Half. I wish I had pictures of it, but then again there's not much to see with it. It's pretty corroded.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awsome thread, All pics saved.

Do you guys actually own these or are these pics that have been passed around for a while?
  • Options
    Current US law allows owning contemporary counterfeits---SO LONG AS THERE IS NO INTENT TO DEFRAUD. Yes, many of us collect contemporary counterfeits. The rarity factors are certainly not very exact. When the new edition of CONTEMPORARY COUNTERFEIT HALF DOLLARS comes out, the rarities will likely change to indicate less rarity for many of the marriages, except for those already listed as common.
  • Options
    How about a few more Contemporary Counterfeits to keep the thread going. Here's a copper 1823 (similiar to what JUDD thought was a "pattern" - all those listed have turned out to be contemporary counterfeits) followed by a brass 1838(!) lettered edge!

Edgar

• Options
    My last bogus Bustie...

imageimage

Some diagnostics for Bogus 1821 2E rare (estimated 1 or 2):

Obverse 2: Star 7 is shifted to close to cap, and points to the junction of the curl and the headband. There are some lumps above the date. Wide space between 8 and 2.

Reverse: Eagle's mouth is open displaying a large tongue, with lower beak curving downward. OF closer to STATES than to AMERICA. Es are too large. I centered between A and T.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, this thread really rates high on the coolness scale!

My favorite is the copper one.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,631 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love these counterfeit threads....we could go all night and then some!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Very, very interesting, I'm not familiar with the busties. Thanks for sharing.

image Cheers image
    "I'm not the judge of Man, that is God's job, I just make arrangements for them to meet"
  • Options
    All the images are great. But I really like how Mozin has described the problems with the coins he has posted. Just posting the images doesn't explain things to someone like me who does not know all the diagnostics of why a coin is considered counterfeit.

Thanks Mozin!

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    Some people new to the forum have expressed interest in Bogus Busties, to check out this old thread started by Fever, the author Edgar Souders.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite cause it is Counterstamped...... Only one I have seen as such...

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭
    Interesting old thread...can anyone identify this one?

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    coin22lover, yours looks like an 1825 4/D
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    harveypbharveypb Posts: 514
    FYI.... The 1823 1/A variety and the 1825 1/A may have been made with discarded mint dies. They are often
    mistaken for real pieces..
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Miss Liberty's sister is kind of fugly.image >>

Yeah, but she's easy. >>

i heard cheap to. fwiw
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One of my favorite cause it is Counterstamped...... Only one I have seen as such...

image >>

That IS exceptional! I have never seen one.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file