Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2007 W ASE Uncirculated - Grading PCGS or NGC - Interesting

Here is a question and a thought:

If you are buying some 2007 W ASE UNC this year and want to get them graded, which company would be best for value. I am guessing NGC since we all know that PCGS doesn't give MS70 to these. HOWEVER, I wonder why PCGS doesn't give this grading since this is a NEW coin with a different striking method. If PCGS sits on the sideline everytime a new coin comes out until a few years goes by for their own risk management, it seems kinda silly.

They grade Silver Eagle Proof coins up to 70. Heck, they have to our business for that popular coin would be out the door. Now, we have a new coin, struck in a different fashion and a no go. I think that is interesting since they are half in and half out on this one.

Are the regular MS Eagles struck at Westpoint like both the Proof and the Burnished? And don't you think PCGS should stop this restriction since it is a new coin?

Just curious.

Swest

Comments

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Good Point
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not certain that NGC backs their grading with money or current market values the same way PCGS does. If I buy an MS70 whatever and it is not an MS70 or undesireable spots have developed while the coin was in the slab, PCGS will compensate the "grade review" owner with market value money.

This is the primary reason they will not grade an BU SAE as MS70 as IF they turn in the slab, which they sometimes do, it can costs PCGS a lot of money.

Even with the burnishing of the new W mint coins, the rinses they use are probalby the same so the milk spotting could occur and until an absolute solution is developed to prevent this from happening, PCGS will not grade any of them as 70's.

For the seller of MS70 NGC SAE coins, this is great, for the buyer of an NGC MS70 SAE that turns, not so great!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    NGC has the same guarantee that PCGS has.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    mrmommrmom Posts: 348
    I joined NGC last week for two reasons.

for first day coin cover and w-unc. ASE

• Options
    I am a member but need to make sure my first year isn't up when the 2007 ASE UNC come out.

Swest

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have already mentioned they have noticed milk spots on the 2006 W UNC SAEs.
    So, I don't see PCGS changing their direction on this...and Ron Guth has already stated such.

IF you can get a MS70 at NGC then you will likely get a little bit more than a PCGS69 brings. However, knowing there is no PCGS MS70 for these, I think the NGC MS69 vs the PCGS MS69 will show the PCGS getting a much higher premium.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I hadn't heard about any milk spots until now. Hmph. Well so much for things getting changed on that one image.

Swest
  • Options
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with you on this one boucharda but I'd like to see more camparisons.

Plus, the NGC coin had 24 bids with 14 bidders compared to the PCGS coin at only 5 bids. Additionally, we're looking at a 20th Anniversary coin and not a run of the mill 2006-W which typically bring lower prices than the 20th Anniversary Counterpart.

Here's an 06-W NGC MS70 that only brought $309

Here's one that only brought in $280

Here's a generic PCGS MS69 that brought in $157.

Here's another generic 06-W cin graded MS69 by PCGS that brought in $145.

I think the important thing is to compare apples to apples and yes, the MS70 grade brings more than an MS69 regardless of the TPG but not such a wide difference as was originally portrayed.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a good way to play the crack-out game to me. Get a PQ PCGS 69 that should go 70 and send it to NGC.image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hadn't heard about any milk spots until now. Hmph. Well so much for things getting changed on that one image.

Swest >>

they woudn't go back and regrade your 69's to 70's...

I think if you want to roll the dice and flip go ahead and send to NGC and sell the 70's, I am waiting to get a NGC MS 70 to compare to the PCGS 69's I have. The mint did a great job with these coins, sans milk....

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gotta agree with you on this one boucharda but I'd like to see more camparisons.

Plus, the NGC coin had 24 bids with 14 bidders compared to the PCGS coin at only 5 bids. Additionally, we're looking at a 20th Anniversary coin and not a run of the mill 2006-W which typically bring lower prices than the 20th Anniversary Counterpart.

Here's an 06-W NGC MS70 that only brought $309

Here's one that only brought in $280

Here's a generic PCGS MS69 that brought in $157.

Here's another generic 06-W cin graded MS69 by PCGS that brought in $145.

I think the important thing is to compare apples to apples and yes, the MS70 grade brings more than an MS69 regardless of the TPG but not such a wide difference as was originally portrayed. >>

Even the lowest NGC MS70 seems to sell for substantially more than a PCGS MS69.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the important thing is to compare apples to apples and yes, the MS70 grade brings more than an MS69 regardless of the TPG but not such a wide difference as was originally portrayed. >>

I was comparing the same coins...20th vs. 20th ...auctions one day apart

Point being these 70's have gone from $400 a few weeks ago to near $900 (I have been tracking the completed auctions)

And....Lowest NGC 70 (non 20th) vs. highest PCGS 69 (non 20th) still brings around a 75% premium and rising
  • Options
    Great Posts.

This is exactly why I never had a second thought about sending off (20) 2006 W Unc Silver Eagles to NGC this morning.

If NGC is going to be the only 'game in town' to get an MS70, then that's where they go.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, the premiums are going up and the difference is widening, but it was like this until recently.
    So, you roll the dice, you take your chances.

Nothing wrong with sending to NGC first, keeping/flipping the 70s, and sending the rest to PCGS and hope for 69s, right? Just a little extra cash gone image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Actually,

I don't usually collect the MS Eagles. But the new burnished ones have me have in and have out. I have several MS60 PCGS with my 20th anniversary sets I am keeping. So now I already went and got my PCGS 2007 Proofs but the UNC I am on the fence. Many of my 70 ealges are in NGC holders from previous years. So I was trying to not have to mix everything up. But I think if I am going to collect the new burnished ones, I can actually start out getting 70s cheap rather than wait a few years and pay top dollar.

I would like to have a matching set, and would PREFER PCGS. But you can't get what they won't give. So I think I am going to have PCGS Proofs and NGC Burnished. My goal is simple, buy a good amount, and get them graded and sell enough to keep some at a reasonable price in the 70 grade.

The downside is that I will have to find myself a NGC 70 from last year which is going to cost.

Swest
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    NGC for 70's of course
  • Options
    I'll use NCG for the ASE simply because of the chance for a 70. If, down the road, PCGS changes their position on the '70s I may try to cross. Good idea on crossing the 69s.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file