Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kennedy Half Dollar Varieties

Hi All,
I put together a composite picture of some of the things to look for on Kennedy Half Varieties. I took these pics today and placed the stuff in one photo.

There are Doubled Dies, as well as a quadrupled die.

On the obverse, check the IN GOD WE TRUST motto. On a variety of 1966, you can check for a doubled profile.

On the reverse, look for doubled Rays and Star points as well as notches on the lettering.
Anyway, This might give you an idea of what to look for.

There are nice varieties on many of the 40% and 90% silver issues. There are also many on the 1971, 1972, 1973 and 1974 issues.
Many folks know abot the whopper on the 1974 D pieces, but there some that are almost as pronounced on other coins as well.

Remember to look for notches and grooves on the lettering.

Have Fun,
Billimage

Comments

• Options
    Great pictures and great information.

Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Thanks.
    Great post.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Cool post. Mind if I add a few pics.....?

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Don't mind at all:-) NICE Coins!!!
  • Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭
    wow looks like I am going to have to go through my kennedys with a fine tooth comb. Nice coins by the way.
  • Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭
  • Options
    Great info and pics thanks this is why I like this forum always learning something new.
    Support your local gunslinger, you never know when you'll need him
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    The coins shown are error coins. Variety coins are coins having
    a planed design change.

TERMS

• Options
    Here is my 1964 DDO Anacs MS-65. If any on eis interested let me know, maybe we can work out a deal.

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Great post and great info.

Pnylvr, did you enlarge the pics you have beyond their native resolution, I am having trouble seeing the doubling on it. I also see pixelation. Either that or my eyes are going out on me. hehe. If you did enlarge past native resolution can you repost without enlarging? I would love to see a better picture, I am learning a lot about these DD kennedys.

Thanks

ps. Not trying to belittle your pictures, just having a bit of trouble seeing them. image
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill,

This is rather timely. I picked up a 1964-D DDO(?) Ch BU at the Grand Junction show last weekend. It wasn't my intent, I just thought it was interesting coin and it will rest in my "type."

However, mine has tripling of the motto (like your top right photo.) Especially vibrant in "WE TRUST". What is this tripling called? And what does QDO mean? Lastly, what are these worth?

Ren
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, great pics
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

<< <i><STRONG>The coins shown are error coins. Variety coins are coins having
    a planed design change.

</STRONG><a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.coinworld.com/news/060605/BW_0606.asp" target=blank><STRONG>TERMS</STRONG></A> >>

Not sure what you are talking about. these are Varieties. from the article under the heading Die Variety: All coins struck from that die, from the first coin to the last, will bear that distinctive difference from coins struck from those other dies.

Thats why these are Kennedy Half Dollar Vairieties. They can be traced back to particular, improperly prepared dies.
  • Options
    Fivaz and Stantion list the variety that I have up there as a QDO, Quadrupled Die Obverse.

It is on page 278 Cherrypickers' guide volume 4 book II as FS-50-1964 D-105 (013.6) Coneca 5-0-II
    Quadrupled Die Obverse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file