Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$160 FOR A PCGS ERROR WASHINGTON DOLLAR ?

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK SHOULD I DO IT OR WILL TIME AND PATIENCE BE REWARDED ?

Comments

• Options
    CAPS LOCK HURTS THE EYES
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I think there's a lot out there, so I'd wait.image
  • Options
    I believe he's talking about Wondercoins PCGS MS65's for $159. Considering what the MS64's are bringing, and some of the NON BIN's (Wondercoins is a BIN for that $159) MS65's are bringing, it doesnt look too bad right now. I think you wont want to go any lower in grade than MS65 for these 'No Edge Lettering' GW's. Sure, there may be alot, but we also know that they WONT be coming out in the Mint sets, and we KNOW how well they grade out coming from bags/rolls. Just my 2C worth.

edited to add: I have no relation with Wondercoin, and nothing at stake in his auctions. I just happened to see the GW for that exact price and thought I would reply.
    giggidy!
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i think you should hop on that band wagon! feel the excitement!
    the error of the century here and ready for you to buy at top dollar
    prices. join the frenzy now!

are you really sure you want it? everyone else has one, why not you!
    without one you are nothing. with it you will have sexy girlfriends and fast cars!

do it now. you owe it to yourself! you like yourself right? do it now!!!!
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fc
    Nard might think you really mean it....

I wouldn't pay $16 for one of those errors - I will wait until there are so many the price drops to $15.

I believe these have nowhere to go but down.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
  • Options
    fc...thanx for the laugh! EVERYTIME I hear that term 'sexy girlfriend', I think back to 'Sixteen Candles', and Gedde Wattanabe (who was also in 'Gung Ho' with Micheal Keaton), saying that!
    giggidy!
  • Options
    thank you for advice. i have seen hot errors come and go in other collectibles but this error seems quite important. Am i naieve in thinking that there won't be a ton of them down the road?
  • Options
    They already found a whole bunch of these but the quality may save some people since in general these are real baggy.

MS65 will be a high grade if graded properly but for $160 I'd put it in a Classic. There a lot of early Bust Half, half dimes, and dimes you can buy in middle grades for that and they will go up, I don't see the upside on a coin that is going to be fairly common but that's just me. Don't jump the gun on coin collecting alll the stuff will still be there......LEARN. These have peaked and are going down right now.
  • Options
    does anyone have an educated guess on the number out there in total ?
  • Options

<< <i>does anyone have an educated guess on the number out there in total ? >>

Estimates have been as high as 50,000, but I believe it's closer to 15,000.

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Buy the best one you can afford!....These are aprox 3-4 times rarer than the last BIG Dollar error...
    The 72-P Type 2 and they are known as the "King of The Ikes" and always bring good money, especially in
    the higher grades.
    Right now only (21) NGC MS67's of the Plain Edge GW have been made...out of almost 16,000 coins at NGC!image
    I'm lookin' for one of those!image

Look for these to take off once the initial "glut" has been absorbed into the market place.
    JMHO.

Brian

I LOVE image TALON HEAD, PEG LEG & ERROR IKES! image
  • Options

<< <i>

Estimates have been as high as 50,000, but I believe it's closer to 15,000. >>

50,000 or 15,000 that's a common coin for moderns. Most of the recent 1/10 ounce Plat coins in mint state are about the same price and they produced less than 15,000 and sell for about that which is close to the bullion price. A general rule would be something about half that mintage but you may have people completing a set here and interest could keep the price firm, who knows.
  • Options
    Well.... I'd say with the average cost of a raw very good quality genuine GW smooth edge at around $100 plus s&h, taxes and grading fees - to get a guaranteed MS65 for $160, I'd say yeah (I mean, if you are going to end up buying one at some point for a premium).
    And also, after the FD-MS67 went for $630 & then flipped for $3901...... ??
    What do you see the price of a PCGS MS65 GW smooth edge (worse case scenerio) ending up at? Less than $80???
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    very few people collect plats while I figure more people will collect these dollars (at least for the first two or three years).
  • Options
    The plats may have a smaller mintage, but the plats were produced for collectors only. The GW's were produced for circulation. Also, the GW's 'No Lettered Edge' are errors. I think comparing GW's to Plats is like comparing apples to oranges. I am NOT a big proponent of the GW's, but I do find this error very intriguing.
    giggidy!
  • Options

<< <i>very few people collect plats while I figure more people will collect these dollars (at least for the first two or three years). >>

Well you like MickeyD's billions served. Most people don't collect classic either or some of those low mintages would be out of this world. Plat are on the up swing wait and see and they are almost at spot so there's little downside compared to a coin with 20 cents of metal. Do you know have many rolls and bags will be saved unopened just to sell for big $$$ in the future hyping this error? If I were spending money I consider this approach. I can see orginial rolls selling for $100 in the next 5 years rater there's a error in there or not. I know I'm not opening mineimage
  • Options
    nard1,

My daughter has a bulk order of the GW$ errors at PCGS for grading now and we should have them back in a few days. What grade were you wanting? If I can help with what you want I would be happy to do so. Please PM me or E-mail me at rickmurrow@sbcglobal.net with details of what grade you're looking for.

Thanks

Rick
    NAT (New At This)

"To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing and be nothing."
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After PAYPAL and shipping I net less than $150/coin at that asking price. If someone offered me (100) pieces right now at 20% back of that level, I would buy them in a heartbeat. So, how bad can my asking price be for a single coin (with a discounted price for quantity) if I would buy (100) identical pieces right this minute within 20% of that net on the single coin price? image

Wondercoin

P.S. - Prices change daily - so my offer to buy 100 pieces or my selling price on the coins is today's price level - tomorrow is another day.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>The plats may have a smaller mintage, but the plats were produced for collectors only. The GW's were produced for circulation. Also, the GW's 'No Lettered Edge' are errors. I think comparing GW's to Plats is like comparing apples to oranges. I am NOT a big proponent of the GW's, but I do find this error very intriguing. >>

Comparing any coin to another series is apples or oranges. Ugly coins haven't done well but collecting is collecting. I think a lot of people will have a set but they will buy them for a buck or pay $2 or $3 for the mint they can't find. JMO
  • Options
    rlmmlr...how many of those in the bulk submission WILL come back 65 or higher??? If you make a bunch of 64's, makes the 65's look that much more attractive to the price conscious person that wants this error. I dont think (my opinion, again, nothing more...and I have been proven wrong, well, lets say more than once in my life..lol) MS65 will be a bad grade to own, for the ERROR GW.
    giggidy!
  • Options
    Ttown...ugly coins havent done well? Then you and I should chat about my SBA registry set. I got into that series early (almost 10 years ago, before 1999) and purchased nothing but 67's (with the exception of the '79 Wide Rim, '81-P and '81-S all in 66, and the '99-D in 68) early on. The cost of that set to build, as opposed to what its worth now, well, that ugly coin did me well, and I see it doing me even better in the coming years.
    giggidy!
  • Options

<< <i>Ttown...ugly coins havent done well? Then you and I should chat about my SBA registry set. I got into that series early (almost 10 years ago, before 1999) and purchased nothing but 67's (with the exception of the '79 Wide Rim, '81-P and '81-S all in 66, and the '99-D in 68) early on. The cost of that set to build, as opposed to what its worth now, well, that ugly coin did me well, and I see it doing me even better in the coming years. >>

If your going to collect them you better get the best and the best, now see how long it would take you to selll them at these levels just because it's in the book doesn't mean your not going to have to hold for a very specal buyer. They aren't at all liquid.
  • Options

<< <i>If someone offered me (100) pieces right now at 20% back of that level, I would buy them in a heartbeat. >>

I have a local NGC authorized dealer that'll buy any quality RAW GW smooth edge coins at $100 a piece.
    I think buying a guaranteed MS65 at $160 is not overpriced at all... if it drops by 50% ($80), you haven't lost that much, it's still a high quality error, and you'll probably STILL be able to get $160 back for it at some point... and what if it doubles ($320) or triples ($480)?? It's not like your looking at $250 for a BU error.
  • Options
    GiggidyGiggidyGoo,

Your guess is as good as mine on how many will be MS65. The population report has improved as it was the majority of MS64's and as of today it's 1680 MS64, 3060 MS 65 and 566 MS 66. I'm hoping for only MS66 thru MS70 and anything else impossible.......

Rick
    NAT (New At This)

• Options
    ttown...just go to Teletrade and see what the last SBA's brought. Not the proofs, which are always up there, or the NGC graded ones...the PCGS MS SBA's....from what I paid when I first got in, the prices that are realized, 'they maka me smyle'!

edited to add: True, they did take a while, but not eons, and I think there are more than just 1 special buyer. Just ask Dave Golan...

edited again to add: ttown, more specifically, check out the SBA's from Nov 12, 2006...even the tops are fetching good money on the 'bay, when/IF they are available. Dont overlook these in top pops which are mostly 67's (or, as in the case of the '81-S in 66).
    giggidy!
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Give it some time. When baby needs new shoes - someone will be desparate.
  • Options

<< <i>fc...thanx for the laugh! EVERYTIME I hear that term 'sexy girlfriend', I think back to 'Sixteen Candles', and Gedde Wattanabe (who was also in 'Gung Ho' with Micheal Keaton), saying that! >>

Are you referring to Long Duck Dong?? Whats a happenen hot stuff?
  • Options
    mfcobra...YES, the Donger!!! LOL Thought I would use his real name...hell, after those two movies (Sixteen Candles, and Gung Ho), the only things I have seen him in are bit parts in 'Armageddon' where he was in a cab with his wife, doing the 'tourist' thing, and 'That Thing You Do', as a photographer. Between those to movies, he was in about 10 minutes of film COMBINED. Whatever happened to the poor Donger....

edited to add: mfcobra's real s/n....saw Iceman stick out in his avatar, and jumped a bit to soon..sorry mfcobra!!
    giggidy!
  • Options
    sweet! LOL
  • Options
    16 candles was such a killer movie and the donger was an absolute riot! Gotta love those dudes named after a ducks dork!
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    Remember as well, that many lots are being screened, so lower grades wont show as much as there really are, and all those BU slabbed coins, are just that, BU, and mostly BU trash. And how many here really enjoy knowing they have some nice BU slabbed coins in their collection? Its why I say watch out for buying raw GWs these days, either they may be the result of some guy with a dremel, or they are the dregs from an already picked through lot. Anyone care to waste $60 on someones elses trash or just buy the gem grade at a decent price?

I also believe that once the initial glut is gone, and then as the Presidential series becomes an actual collectible series, the hunt to find these high graded error GWs will advance the price--or has everyone forgotten the arguements about how 250,00 ASE 20th Ann. sets were just too many. Anyone here think back in November the sets would be $400 raw thses days?I sure wish I had my 10 cases back.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would not do it.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>P.S. - Prices change daily - so my offer to buy 100 pieces or my selling price on the coins is today's price level - tomorrow is another day >>

Exactly to my point. Prices are good for today - your offer to buy today at 20% back is because you are going to flip them tomorrow and need the 20% pad to avoid taking a loss.

I agree that tomorrow is another day and the price is far more likely to go down than to go up. Most collectors can and should wait.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << P.S. - Prices change daily - so my offer to buy 100 pieces or my selling price on the coins is today's price level - tomorrow is another day >>

Exactly to my point. Prices are good for today - your offer to buy today at 20% back is because you are going to flip them tomorrow and need the 20% pad to avoid taking a loss. I agree that tomorrow is another day and the price is far more likely to go down than to go up. Most collectors can and should wait.

I fail to see your point in light in following:

1. I do not have a blended 20% spread at all (not that anything would be wrong with that % of spread) - I offer the coins at a substantial discount in quantity- as little as 5%-10% over my cost.

2. I am only too happy to buy 100 pieces today (even though I might sell 10-20 in the next week) because I am personally comfortable with current price levels. If I actually thought the way you suggested, I would only want to buy (at most) as many coins as I sold each week (or less), as prices would be dropping over time under your theory. Why would I want to buy a month's worth of coin sales today if weeks from now the coins would be cheaper for me?

3. I am right more often than I am wrong with my bulk purchase of moderns, but, I am also wrong from time to time (and could be here). But, every day is a new day - if something happens tomorrow to change my opinion on these coins, I may elect not to buy -100- more for inventory tomorrow. If something happens tomorrow to make my opinion even more positive on these gem PCGS graded coins, I might raise my order to -200- coins for stock. Tomorrow is another day - but, by no means read into that a declining market price. I had the same "day to day" conditions on my buys of "w" plat coins over the past few months (and have purchased six figures worth from board members) and those coins certainly have been anything but dogs.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    hard to tell someone not to buy something if they truly truly
    like it. if that is the case, pull the trigger.

but everyone else, who just "fancies" the coin, please try to recall
    every bad purchase you made on something that was hot, that is
    now cold as ice, and worthless.

are you that last fool?

either way, i am with longacre. no thanks. pass. maybe for 20 bucks
    i could see that.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I'm a friggin' idiot. I visited my buddy the Ace wipe coin dealer that I absolutely abhor and saw
    one up close, live & personal and asked about it. It's NGC 65 and much lighter than the ones in rolls that I have.

He told me he had bought it for $190. I had no material and absolutely no intention of buying one. Afterall, this was the first time I'd been to his shop in years.

I may have well just pulled my drawers off caused I believed him (Short Memory) image

Bottom line is he nailed me for $200. image

When I got home and to eBay and saw the going rate I must admit, I was pretty peeved with myself

but then I remembered all the sweet, sweet cherries I picked from him, so I guess it's only fair!

Yeah right! I hate losing! image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Estimates have been as high as 50,000, but I believe it's closer to 15,000. >>

There are already over 25,000 slabbed between PCGS and NGC. Seems likely there would be many multiples of that number still out there unslabbed.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

<< <i>rlmmlr...how many of those in the bulk submission WILL come back 65 or higher??? If you make a bunch of 64's, makes the 65's look that much more attractive to the price conscious person that wants this error. I dont think (my opinion, again, nothing more...and I have been proven wrong, well, lets say more than once in my life..lol) MS65 will be a bad grade to own, for the ERROR GW. >>

GiggidyGiggidyGoo,

I have your answer to how many will come back MS65 or higher, we had 1.67% MS63, 33.33% MS64, 55% MS65, and 10% MS66. What No MS68, 69 or 70's the shame of it all. 65% MS65 or better is still pretty good ratio in my opinion.

Carry on............
    NAT (New At This)

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Makes me feel not so badly. I guess I'll just add it to my collection.image
  • Options
    They are going to get cheaper.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights