Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Check out this RARE Cello Pack just back from PSA

now this is what you call a rare cello pack.

Anyone ever seen one before?

I do not care about the grade. Impossible not to have the corners rip because of the cardboard. It will go great with my '69 Super set that is 15 cards short of completion in PSA-9.

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Cello pack??
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like wax to me
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding Manny! I've never even seen one of those offered in the last 5 years.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Neat and unusual item. I've never seen one, but then I stopped collecting in '68.

Are there any more where that came from??
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    it is a cello pack. Actually, Steve Hart says mylar.

There are only 3 known to exist--or so I am told. Sportscards Plus had a consignor a few years back that had many of the Topps Test issues that were saved from way back in the day. Not sure where the other 2 are; but pretty sure mine is the only one that is slabbed. Certainly the only one that has been slabbed by PSA. Steve told me he cannot recall the last time he saw one(ever?).
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Looks like Topps was getting a little greedy there. 10-cents! Why the things you could have done with a dime in 1969. ;^)

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Such a clean slab I say. That baby runs circles around GAI
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    is that a '71 rack pack in background?

could you scan that possibly?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Julen--that is not a '71 rak. There are ( 2) '71 cello packs--both the real kind--30 cards-- not the phony "grocery" cellos, so popular on eBay now.

Both are 2nd series packs and look beautiful in the PSA slabs. I will take a pic of the packs I had slabbed and post later today. They really look great.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>now this is what you call a rare cello pack.

Anyone ever seen one before?

I do not care about the grade. Impossible not to have the corners rip because of the cardboard. It will go great with my '69 Super set that is 15 cards short of completion in PSA-9.

image >>

Nice to see that u graded this, as it is far more unique than the cards inside. Nice find!

+ good luck with your 1969 Super set!

rd

edit: BTW, that PSA holder looks "super"!

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Manny,

That looks great!!! Congrats!!

Bob

P.S. I know Bishop and I both have '69 Super packs too. Mine's not graded, and I'm almost positive his isn't either. Mine looks to be in similar condition to yours (stupid cardboard backing).

EDITED TO ADD: Now that I think about it, I have seen one graded by GAI. I remember thinking it was over graded (GAI 7 or higher) since it had the same corner rips.
  • Options
    Bob--Guess there are more than 3 in existance--get yours from Sportscards Plus??
  • Options

<< <i>Bob--Guess there are more than 3 in existance--get yours from Sportscards Plus?? >>

Yep. So did Bishop. If I remember correctly, he won the '68 Plaks pack the same auction I won the '69 Super pack.
  • Options
    maybe there are only 3 after all. Dave Kohler told me that he had 3 of them. Sold 1 in the 1st auction, offered me the 2nd after the auction, then had 1 in his follow up auction. Interestingly, the 3rd pack went for considerably less than the pack int he 1st auction, and also for less than what I paid for mine. Sometimes it pays to be outbid.
  • Options

<< <i>maybe there are only 3 after all. Dave Kohler told me that he had 3 of them. Sold 1 in the 1st auction, offered me the 2nd after the auction, then had 1 in his follow up auction. Interestingly, the 3rd pack went for considerably less than the pack int he 1st auction, and also for less than what I paid for mine. Sometimes it pays to be outbid. >>

I agree with you except I would change "sometimes" to "almost always." image