Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2006-W SAE's OGPs growing REALLY strong! $120+

AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sheesh, I maybe glad my mint order hasn't arrived -- if this price is any indication. Where will it stop???? I REALLY hope I get them (early Dec order). Now we're talking 6 times original cost...hubba hubba image

auction link
Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Comments

• Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭
    Hrrrm... A freak auction image

Clicky
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes...and no.
    I just was looking as well. There are a few over $100 and more over $90. Still a lot in the $70 range though, but those outliers make it look very tempting!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    My orders from the 11/21 and 11/29 are now in stock and reserved on 2006 UNC SAE. Cancel box gone!!!
    Was starting to wonder if I would ever get these.
  • Options
    same here,order for 12 placed on 12/5/06 just went to in stock reserved........image
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Placed my order for 5 on 11/14 and got 'em delivered this week. Wow! I paid $28 less for the 5 I got from the mint.

I must add that the 2006-W that was included in the 20th Anniv. sets that I bought are significantly superior to the singles that just arrived. Fact is, I've never seen a better condiinon ASE thant the Uncs. in the 20th Anniv set.

Apologies for the lack of lighting. The images are very close to true. These coins are flawless IMHO.

imageimage
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    They are nice!!image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    Arg! Mint site is down to check my order status. I agree that these W's seem to be really nice strikes -- no wonder the glut will continue with the slabbies. Personally, I like 'em raw...image
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

I must add that the 2006-W that was included in the 20th Anniv. sets that I bought are significantly superior to the singles that just arrived. Fact is, I've never seen a better condiinon ASE thant the Uncs. in the 20th Anniv set.

I agree. I guess thats why so many grade 69 or 70. Will these coin go to $150?
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
  • Options
    I thinks they will land best with their original gov't packaging. Save a slab, might need all that plasito petro in your tank. image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya,I sold two tonight one at 88.00 and one @ 102.50 and they payed at the end of auction WoW, I wish I would have ordered more then ten. But I did Grab 10 more Graded by NGC MS69 for 69.00 just three days ago. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Bodie, I think they will. Hype or not, the collector base on the unc SAE's will push them beyond that. In one month, these have gone from $45 to $100. Now if only the gold unc's will do the same...
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    What is even stranger is that the PCGS graded 2006-W SAE's don't bring that much more.

Link

I really wonder whats up with this? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I must add that the 2006-W that was included in the 20th Anniv. sets that I bought are significantly superior to the singles that just arrived. Fact is, I've never seen a better condiinon ASE thant the Uncs. in the 20th Anniv set.

I agree. I guess thats why so many grade 69 or 70. Will these coin go to $150? >>

What makes you think it will stop there. image
  • Options
    That's what I'm saying -- the slabs aren't an advantage when the majority are as good OR BETTER. I personally think slabs are highly overrated, except where authentication is needed.

A raw-bie I am, I am.
  • Options
    joe newbie collector doesn't care about the slab... unless of course you include the original mint box with the slab... this is one of those coins that will bring in good prices slab or not because they just didn't make very many and there's lots of speculators like myself out there. I've got 10 in original mint packaging and 10 PCGS 69.
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Same coin as in the 20th anniversary set correct?

I don't get it.

• Options

<< <i>Same coin as in the 20th anniversary set correct? >>

Yep. Same coin. I'm going to hold my box of 10 20th Anniversary sets for a long, long time.

<< <i>I don't get it. >>

Demand. This coin is the new key to the SAE unc set and will keep rising in value until supply/demand is in equilibrium. I wouldn't be surprised if that point is well north of $200.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    It looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Sold to early again.

Daaaaaammmmmm
  • Options
    Demand. This coin is the new key to the SAE unc set and will keep rising in value until supply/demand is in equilibrium. I wouldn't be surprised if that point is well north of $200.

I have both a raw set and a slabbed set. I felt early on that these coins would go to $150 apiece based on the price of the 1996 issue. I am realizing that the above statement is more than likely going to become true. It won't necessarily be tomorrow but I now think it is inevitable.

Some folks will recall that the 1986 issue used to be the key. Then the 1996 started to creep up in price. It wasn't until after 2000 or later (if my memory serves me) that it became clear that the 1996 was the key. It may take awhile for the 2006-W price to stabilize. Some collector friends of mine still don't know about it....
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options

<< <i>Demand. This coin is the new key to the SAE unc set and will keep rising in value until supply/demand is in equilibrium. I wouldn't be surprised if that point is well north of $200.

I have both a raw set and a slabbed set. I felt early on that these coins would go to $150 apiece based on the price of the 1996 issue. I am realizing that the above statement is more than likely going to become true. It won't necessarily be tomorrow but I now think it is inevitable.

Some folks will recall that the 1986 issue used to be the key. Then the 1996 started to creep up in price. It wasn't until after 2000 or later (if my memory serves me) that it became clear that the 1996 was the key. It may take awhile for the 2006-W price to stabilize. Some collector friends of mine still don't know about it.... >>

Don't tell 'em image
  • Options
    you guys that got them for $20 are lucky... I've been buying them aftermarket trying to find them in the $60-70 range which is becoming increasingly unlikely to impossible now... cameocc.com had PCGS 69 specimens for $69 just last weekend and I bought 4.. should have bought more.. now they've got them at $79 .. I did get them though along with the mint cases.. kudos to cameocc. image

If you've got extra mint cases you can buy the NGC ones for that price on occasion and just break them out of the slabs. image
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    According to Coin World the mint has only delivered about half the coins sold. That's about 100,000 coins left to ship. They say they plan to ship 30,000 coins a week until all of the orders are filled. Don't you guys think once all of these coins hit the market prices will go down?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I just hope the 2007's do half as good since I missed out on the 2006.
  • Options

<< <i>According to Coin World the mint has only delivered about half the coins sold. That's about 100,000 coins left to ship. They say they plan to ship 30,000 coins a week until all of the orders are filled. Don't you guys think once all of these coins hit the market prices will go down? >>

IMO, NO. They may hold steady for a while, However they have no place to go but up.
  • Options

<< <i>According to Coin World the mint has only delivered about half the coins sold. That's about 100,000 coins left to ship. They say they plan to ship 30,000 coins a week until all of the orders are filled. Don't you guys think once all of these coins hit the market prices will go down? >>

I haven't got my CW yet -- was that in the latest issue? Seems to me they are flooding already, I agree they are hot and likely will stay that way. Kinda like the 3-coin anniv sets -- they were selling at 2x cost a month before sellout, and have kept growing since...
  • Options
    check out these two 2006 w ase's, the spots are on the plastic not the coins, look at the difference in lustre and strike between the 2 coins, comments please!

DSC03292.JPG came from the "littleton 28.50 hoard" DSC03291.JPG is a 20th anniversary NGC MS70
  • Options
    Even with the satin finish, seems like the frosting would diminish as the dies get worn -- looks like an early vs later set of dies...just a guess. Cool shots --
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I had second thoughts about these since they minted close to 500,000. Imagine if they did not offer the singles and they could be only had in the anniversary sets. I thought it would be a loser but I was wrong. I believe the 07 will be a quick sellout now.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

That would make perfect sense, however the market for these things along with those new Gold & Plat-W coins is not a logical nor orderly market, in fact even the people 'playing' market maker for them don't usually post a buy-sell spread because they have no idea what they're worth unless they see todays price realized on Ebay, LOLOL.

I think the majority of the SAE W's are being sold are to speculators who have no understanding of value and only hope to resell them at a higher price later on. The speculated future price of two or even three hundred dollars for a coin with a mintage of over 1/4 million and every coin is essentially the same grade seems pretty silly when you see what other real coins are out there with far smaller mintages and are also truly scarce in higher grades.
  • Options

<< <i>

IMO, NO. They may hold steady for a while, However they have no place to go but up. >>

sigh... my bank account is sure suffering.. just had to pick up another 10 in the mint box...

<< <i>
    I think the majority of the SAE W's are being sold are to speculators who have no understanding of value and only hope to resell them at a higher price later on. The speculated future price of two or even three hundred dollars for a coin with a mintage of over 1/4 million and every coin is essentially the same grade seems pretty silly when you see what other real coins are out there with far smaller mintages and are also truly scarce in higher grades. >>

the sheer fact that there are so many speculators will only act to drive the price up faster and further... it's plain as day to me that these are undervalued at this level regardless, when compared to coins of similar mintages like the 1993-1995 proof silver eagles for example... throw in the idea that the demand is about 5 fold higher then it is for the 1993-1995 proofs at this point, and it seems like we're still at the beginning stages of the rise. Sure it's gambling, but it's educated gambling that almost seems like a no brainer in the situation of these coins. I'm glad to see bearish people though... too many bullish people isn't a good sign.
  • Options

<< <i>check out these two 2006 w ase's, the spots are on the plastic not the coins, look at the difference in lustre and strike between the 2 coins, comments please!

DSC03292.JPG came from the "littleton 28.50 hoard" DSC03291.JPG is a 20th anniversary NGC MS70 >>

I have one that is similar to your "littleton 28.50 hoard" The coin looks like the burnished die, the only difference is the lack of a mint mark. It is in an NGC holder MS69.

Could this an error

• Options
    Just checked all 3 orders for 20 coins are now in stock and reserved!!image
  • Options
    good for you,when was your order date for the sets of 20,i ordered 50 last few hours they were selling them,do you think i will get them.thanksimage order # 2381xxxx and 2382xxxx
  • Options

<< <i>Just checked all 3 orders for 20 coins are now in stock and reserved!!image >>

Me Too image order # 2377****
  • Options
    I ordered last week of November and first of December and all are instock and reserved.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the smart money has jumped over to Presidential Dollars image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just checked all 3 orders for 20 coins are now in stock and reserved!!image >>

Me Too image order # 2377**** >>

mine were 2372**** and they canceled them a long time ago. Says item no longer available.
  • Options
    Hi All,

New member here getting back into coins after a little collecting as a kid. I can't help but notice the craziness over the 2006 SAE's. Saw a 2006-W NGC MS-69 go for $260 and a 20th anniversary set IGC, supposedly all 70's but you couldnt see the holders in the pic for $780 + $22 shipping. I also noticeed that most of the bidders on these items were people with very low or no rating. Think I'll cool it on the 2006 buying for a while and may sell a little.

I've been reading here for the last month and enjoy and appreciate what I'm learning.

• Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I ordered my last two on 12/11. After pushing the date back for nearly 4 months the mint changed the delivery date to "No longer available" last week. The were still available when ordered.

Mike
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Mike -- BUMMER!! I finally got mine, ordered about the same time. Got an offer for them I couldn't refuse -- I'll be sorry soon.

M-CrapNut - WELCOME!! 06 was GREAT for moderns. Have fun with 'em.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file