Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS graded AU-58 1896 $20 Liberty feedback.

I got it yesterday for $57 above spot gold. I'm mainly a Morgan collector, but seemed like a really good deal. Agree/disagree?

Comments

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pic would be helpful.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Relatively clean or baggy?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how nice for the grade. If it's an "AU-63" caliber coin, it was a good buy. If it was a run of the mill 58 with the usual number of blemishes for a $20 lib, it's a so-so deal at best.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a nice looking coin, it's a good deal. Downside risk is virtually nil. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    For point of reference, I bought this '99-S in November for what was then about $40 over melt (also PCGS 58):

imageimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do you guys find nice double eagles at such a good price? I'm sure luck and being in the right place at the right time have a lot to do with it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Trying to get you folks pics, but getting it to fit within 50Kbytes is like trying to fit an elephant into a shoebox. From the pics I have of it, does not look to be dinged up very much. I have MS-62 Morgans that are more dinged up than this coin. Most of the luster remains on the reverse with hardly any breaks in it. The luster is broken a bit in the main fields on the obverse, but a majority of it remains there. Markwise, in comparison to a Morgan it reminds me of MS63-64.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Trying to get you folks pics, but getting it to fit within 50Kbytes is like trying to fit an elephant into a shoebox. From the pics I have of it, does not look to be dinged up very much. I have MS-62 Morgans that are more dinged up than this coin. Most of the luster remains on the reverse with hardly any breaks in it. The luster is broken a bit in the main fields on the obverse, but a majority of it remains there. Markwise, in comparison to a Morgan it reminds me of MS63-64. >>

Thats why we post on photobucket and just copy the [IMG] link they automatically provide into these threads.
  • Options
    Here she is:

Thanks to BECOKA!!

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was a good deal. At $57 over spot, as Perry said, there is little downside risk. Coin has some wear on the coronet and hair, and strike is perhaps a little weak on the central portion of the reverse. The surfaces are fairly clear of major hits, without the wear might grade MS62. 1896 is a common date in the series.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    Spot +$57 is a so-so deal for AU58. A careful shopper or one with good connections can do better, especially with gold on a bit of a run. A lot of sellers refuse to sell for a loss, so when gold moves a bit up, it makes it easier for them to sell at a good price.

MJPM is asking $725 for generic $20 Saints PCGS 62 with gold closing at $673, and raw $20 Liberty's AU ask at $697. Again, a careful shopper or someone who can find a motivated seller can often do better than those prices. I do find it to be a good reference because it has live bid and ask pricing.

MJPM link
  • Options
    I thought it was an affordable addition to the $1, $2.5, $5, $10 and $20 gold set I am working on. Just $1 and $2.5 remain now. You echo what I felt, Bloodman. An MS-62 with AU-58 wear.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file