Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Have you had good experience with crossovers

I'm putting together a graded set of 1933 sportkings and have managed to acquire about 30 of them. The majority of them are PSA graded, however I do have 10 or 12 SGC cards. I'm considering sending in the SGC cards to be regraded by PSA and registering my set. I would certainly like for the grades to crossover equally. I also have a couple of 5.5 SGC cards. Obviously I'd like for these to come back as 6's instead of 5's. Have you guys had good experience with crossovers? Also, am I gaining anything to have a complete PSA set? I'm new to the message boards and relatively new to vintage cards. I appreciate any advice that you can offer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'd crack them first. If the centering is relatively good you should be able to get them in 6's, especially if they were graded over a year ago, but recently enough to still have a 1-10 grade on them.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

My one cross over came back less. Psa seems to be harder graders but the resale price is higher than the other graders.
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    Usually send in about 10 at a time. Get about half to cross straight at the same grade. Half that don't. I then crack those that don't and send them in. If you wnat to "round up", I think you will have to crack.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you for your insight and advice!!! By the way, any of you have any sport kings, please let me know.

Hugh
  • Options
    Boopotts once wrote 'Friends don't let friends send in slabbed cards for crossover'. That saying is gospel. Any card I send in will be cracked open first. Never been disappointed on a crack and resubmit.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Im going to take you up on that advice. I have been trying to send in slabbed cards for grading, 9 out of 10 come back with some problem.

Ive been saving all of the old psa jackets, Im going to crack them and resubmit, see how they come back. If they get graded, I will know that there is a definate prejudice against crossovers.

I wonder if PSA does that, I mean not grade or " evid trim" most other grading companies to try and refute their reputions.

We shall see, Im doing some crackin this weekend
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I've had success both ways. Typically if the card is valued under $500, I will crack and submit. For high dollar cards that I might not want to risk a downgrade on I will send in as crossovers. I have had cards cross directly GAI 8- PSA 8, SGC 96-PSA 9, but as stated above, never had an SGC 88 go in and come back as a PSA 9. But I have had that happen when I cracked and submitted.

Also had some cards come back "trimmed" "altered" and downgraded when I cracked them. From every grading company, SGC, SCD, GAI, even PSA. Card was a PSA 7, cracked it looking for a bump, came back altered, sent in a second time and came back 8. All part of the grading game and what you are willing to risk.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Well, I tried a crossover in an SGC 92 slab, asked for at least a 7 and...........MISSED GRADE! The worst part of it is that it was just added to the registry with a 6 weight, what to do??

By the way it was a 54-56 Spic n Span Hank Aaron
    I NEED HANKS!!!