Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm really beginning to like these matte proof Lincolns...

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
...Very nice example Lee.image

I can only see these little MPL's going up in value. They seem so reasonable right now. Thoughts?image
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Better "Buy Now" or you'll wish you hadimage

• Options
    Great photo !!!
    JRH
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I love em.

Unfortunately I don't own a real one.

I do own a "boat-load" of them in the World Series so I for one hope they go up this year and it gets reflected in the PCGS pricing.

Laura - Please don't feel a need to comment on this post. We've been there and done that. image

EDIT: I just counted and a "boat-load" ended up being 284 of them.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Here's a sweet one.

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a sweet one.

image >>

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I really like the look of all matte proofs, especially gold.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    I like'em too....this does not belong to me...it belongs to a fellow board member and is a seriously sweet coin!

Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    Here is a crisp toned specimen that a collector friend of mine owns. These MPL's have amazing detail!

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    >>>>>>>>>I really like the look of all matte proofs, especially gold>>>>>>>>>

image The $10 indians are stunning
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

MAN, those are awesome!!!!!

SO, somebody please 'splain something to me. I'm not too familiar with the MPL's and would like to know a tell tell sign of one. I've heard something mentioned before about "Railroad rims" or something? The detail on some of these are exquisite! BUT, the one that Poorguy listed, doesn't look all that "hammered". Is there a VERY distinct something that seperates the MPL's from the BSL's? thanks.....wes

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    im going to have to get a couple!
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins.

They tone so wonderfully.

Its such a shame what has happened to the Lincoln cent since the last re-engraving of the portrait in the 90's.

The coin is a shell of its former self. It should be retired after 2009.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 1916 NGC PF-65 BN in hand yesterday. The 8K price tag didn't work for me though. And the seller was planning to attempt a crossover, since he has standing offers of 10K on a PCGS PR-65 BN.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>I had a 1916 NGC PF-65 BN in hand yesterday. The 8K price tag didn't work for me though. And the seller was planning to attempt a crossover, since he has standing offers of 10K on a PCGS PR-65 BN. >>

Did this 1916 NGC PF-65 BN have some wild color? seems a bit steep even though these coins are really starting to rise in price. I sold that gold toned 1916 I posted on this thread for $5,000 about 6 months ago.
  • Options
    I think I misstated the description. It is a PF-66 BN, with what I would estimate as more than 50% red color. Still seems 8K is a bit high for a PF-66, which is why I politely declined. The owner's selling point was based on his comparison of the pops. for 1916 and 1909 VDB MPL's.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options

<< <i>I think I misstated the description. It is a PF-66 BN, with what I would estimate as more than 50% red color. Still seems 8K is a bit high for a PF-66, which is why I politely declined. The owner's selling point was based on his comparison of the pops. for 1916 and 1909 VDB MPL's. >>

Buy the coin, not the pop.image
  • Options

<< <i>Buy the coin, not the pop.image >>

Is that akin to the adage "buy the color, not the coin"?image

• Options
    While on the subject of prices for some of these coins, Check out these last 7 auction sales on the 1909 VDB MPL cent. All of the coins were PR R/B and all graded by PCGS. From Heritage archives.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 PCGS PR64RB $14,950.00
    Saturday, June 3, 2006 PCGS PR65RB $17,250.00
    Saturday, June 3, 2006 PCGS PR66RB $29,900.00
    February 11, 2006 PCGS PR66RB $25,300.00
    Friday, December 10, 2004 PCGS PR65RB $9,200.00
    Saturday, May 8, 2004 PCGS PR64RB $7,130.00
    Tuesday, July 29, 2003 PCGS PR65RB $5,290.00
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Buy the coin, not the pop.image >>

Is that akin to the adage "buy the color, not the coin"?image >>

toucheimage
  • Options
    Brian - interesting account of the trend in auction prices for the Matte Finish 1909 VDB. Was the owner I of the 1916 which I referred to correct in his assesment of the difference in pops. between the 1916 and 1909 VDB?

• Options
    1909VDB vs the 1916 from current PCGS pop report. 1916 is tougher in RD desigation but lags in RB and BN. This should back up the mintage of the 1909VDB
    to be the 420 number?

All grades Brown
    1909 VDB 7
    1916 31

All grades Red and Brown
    1909 VDB 60
    1916 102

All grades Red
    1909 VDB 30
    1916 27

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file