Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone doubt the authenticity of this 1853-O gold dollar?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
SSP and Spam, but I don't want to sell it if it's not real. I have no reason to doubt it but these are not my main area of interest.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All raw $1 gold is suspect. Have it authenticated.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    It passes the 30 second photo authenticity test, but there are some very good fakes. I would send it anacs before I sold it.
  • Options
    I only have one, but it looks good to me.
    JRH
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I am no expert but I think it's looks questionable. There really is no sharpness to detail anywhere on the coin. It looks kind of crumbly around the denticles. All those little lumps on the coin could be from a rusted die. Did you weigh it?
  • Options
    It's obviously real.
    "There's no free lunch" MF
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me. Check the edges for traces of solder since these were popular for jewelry.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    The raised bumps cause me some concerne, but i would need a closer shot to study it more.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I don't trust raw gold farther than I can throw it, but this looks good to me.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I found these pictures at Heritage of a certified coin for comparrison. This one looks to have rusted dies. I too have bought too many counterfiets to even trust slabbed coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file