Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I apologize if this has been discussed here already, but if you haven't picked up 1776 by David McCullough do it quick! The author has twice won the Pulitzer Prize for previous biographies and in this book he does equal justice to the year of the title. The book chronicles the lives of all involved in America's liberty- including Washington, Jefferson, Franklin- during this year. Half of the beauty of numismatics is the history behind the coin- and this book will ensure that you never look at a coins portrait the same (even the modern 'state quarter' version of Washington, yuck!). The book is fast reading and incredibly personal. The year 1776 is the reason we celebrate Liberty on our coins...
"Today is the youngest you will ever be"

Comments

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I like the movie, too...
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am currently reading it. Aside, McCullough attended the high school in Pittsburgh as I (probably about thirty years before me!) and wrote his first book about his experience there.

imageimage

Now, this thread is coin-related. image
  • Options
    Nice Fugio, thanks
    "Today is the youngest you will ever be"
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice Fugio, thanks >>

Except that's a Continental dollar instead of a Fugio cent. image

I'll keep an eye open for the book.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Just finished the book on vacation. Fabulous!
  • Options
    After reading the book, I really wanted to buy a 1776 coin. Per Coin Rarities Online (CCU), there are three choices:

" 1.1776 Machin's Mills Halfpenny V.6-76A.
    2.1776 Machin's Mills Halfpenny V.9-76B. The so-called 'Small Date' type, of which less than 10 are known and none have traded in the last several years.
    3. 1776 Continental Dollar. Even low grade specimens are selling for 5 figure prices."

Well, I think that colonial copper is ugly (sorry, CCU image ), and I cannot afford a suitable Continental Dollar, so I bought this:

imageimage

Described as...

"1776 M PJ Spain 1/2 Escudo

VF35 [PCGS]

A nice example of a type which definitively saw circulation in colonial America, made even more interesting in this case by the magic 1776 date.

Pleasing medium gold with light even wear and just a couple of minor marks.

In all, an historic and interesting coin about the same size as a US Half Dime."

from Coin Rarities Online.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read all of his works. You cannot go wrong with any title of interest. Check them out as he is a true scholar and great author.

20 years later ....

K
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    My goal this year is to read the best bio of each of the founding fathers. Last year I read Washington and Adams. So far this year I've read Hamilton and currently reading "The Rise of American Democracy" by Wilentz. Next will be a bio on Jefferson, then Madison, Monroe, and Franklin (I am not a big Franklin fan, but maybe that will change after I read about him more). I have 1776, but have not read it yet. I read The Glorious Cause in January instead.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    McCullough is a tremendous historian and author...in my opinion, there are really not enough superlatives to describe his works. As I was reading 1776, it was as if I was actually watching the events unfold.

He has a place in the Vineyard where he goes to write his works, and he does so on an old fashioned typewriter so it takes him longer.

Another McCullough work that I would highly recommend is The Jamestown Flood.

I wouldn't be surprised if he collects coins as well.
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 850 ✭✭
    Great book. Loved it. What great sacrifices they made for our FREEDOM.

The twenty-one years I spent in the Army was nothing compared to what they did.

Barbercoin

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file