Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1878, 7TF, VAM-121

In my older VAM book, this is designated as a "Doubled Motto." In the description it talks about various points of doubling on the obverse of the coin...stars, letters, Liberty and so forth. It states that the "R" in E Pluribus Unum is doubled. Am I the only one that thinks that the main upright has been repunched with the "I?" It looks obvious to me.

Has anyone ever read anything to corroborate this opinion? Thanks in advance.

J.C.

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does look that way, but I haven't even heard or read that theory before. I'm looking at mine and the R is truly a mess, as it is on all 1878 II/I obverses. I don't think letters were ever individually punched on Morgan dies, but they had to do something to get it to look like that. The thick part of the top of the R is thicker than any other R top from 1878. I'll have to pose that question to VAM-E readers.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response messydesk. It's sort of a lousy pic, but tha "I" is identical to the "R's" upright. I can't think of any other reason for the cross bar. It just doesn't make sense.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

• Options
    There are several other II/I obverses with similarly deformed Rs as well. And then there's the VAM 187 with an extra R sticking out of the top of the R.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I'm certain that is a corrected I. Probably got a bad hub transfer, repunched the letters and got ahead on that letter. weak R -> I -> R would be the sequence. R may have been so weak that it initially looked like a I at first glance?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like the outside top right of the U.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>I also like the outside top right of the U. >>

The lower left also. There's quite a few of the letters that have "thorns" that weren't quite polished away.
    J.C.

• Options

<< <i>I'm certain that is a corrected I. Probably got a bad hub transfer, repunched the letters and got ahead on that letter. weak R -> I -> R would be the sequence. R may have been so weak that it initially looked like a I at first glance? >>

William Key was responsible for punching lettering into the master dies in 1878. His services could have been employed to fix several die sinking disasters, but some he (or his understudy) appears to have made worse. The R is a recurring trainwreck (VAMs 111, 114, 121, 123, 144, 164, 171, 187), but PLU also have their problems, with VAM 163 having several U's piled up. It might be that there was a nasty hub break that messed up those letters more than others, requiring them to be repunched by hand on all II/I obverses.
  • Options

<< <i>William Key was responsible for punching lettering into the master dies in 1878. His services could have been employed to fix several die sinking disasters, but some he (or his understudy) appears to have made worse. The R is a recurring trainwreck (VAMs 111, 114, 121, 123, 144, 164, 171, 187), but PLU also have their problems, with VAM 163 having several U's piled up. It might be that there was a nasty hub break that messed up those letters more than others, requiring them to be repunched by hand on all II/I obverses. >>

That's interesting. Thank you very much for the info. I just love cruising '78s with a loupe.

Edited to ask: Does the 163 have a reverse with the "r" broken in trust? The horizontal gone except for a slight bump?
    J.C.

• Options

<< <i>Edited to ask: Does the 163 have a reverse with the "r" broken in trust? The horizontal gone except for a slight bump? >>

Yes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file