Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Secondary Market 20th ASE prices.........

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
In case anyone is following these things, I just sold a NGC 69 set with original packaging for $285 plus shipping on Ebay.

JJ
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    Seems like certification, with the exception of 70s, isn't adding value to these sets.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Raw's seem to be going for $250 +

Add the cost for grading and it's not worth it. Unless you think you have 70's.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Raw's seem to be going for $250 +

Add the cost for grading and it's not worth it. Unless you think you have 70's. >>

Or First Strikes.......is there a "sloppy seconds" designation??????image
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Raw's seem to be going for $250 +

Add the cost for grading and it's not worth it. Unless you think you have 70's. >>

Exactly, however, you don't know if you have 70's until after you get your grades back because the box must be sent in sealed and unopened. Even if you were allowed to open them, 99.9999% of people could not tell the difference between a 69 and 70 anway.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    I've seen a first strike 69 set go for $700.00. image
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen a first strike 69 set go for $700.00. image >>

I think I averaged between $550-650 for my 69 sets. Did not have any 70's to throw off the average.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    i have about 5 First strikes that graded MS68 and reverse proof PR68's. Do you think these are worth more or less than the 69's without first strike? i.e. does it pay to regrade but lose the first strike designation?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i have about 5 First strikes that graded MS68 and reverse proof PR68's. Do you think these are worth more or less than the 69's without first strike? i.e. does it pay to regrade but lose the first strike designation? >>

If you send in, in holder, for a regrade, why would you lose the 1st strike designation?
    I haven't asked PCGS about this, but if sent in, in holder, they should keep it, right?

As to your question....if it isn't a 69 or 70, then I don't think the 1st strike helps out as much as being a higher grade. May be better to just cut out of the holder and put back in 3 pc sets.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>i have about 5 First strikes that graded MS68 and reverse proof PR68's. Do you think these are worth more or less than the 69's without first strike? i.e. does it pay to regrade but lose the first strike designation? >>

If you send in, in holder, for a regrade, why would you lose the 1st strike designation?
    I haven't asked PCGS about this, but if sent in, in holder, they should keep it, right?

As to your question....if it isn't a 69 or 70, then I don't think the 1st strike helps out as much as being a higher grade. May be better to just cut out of the holder and put back in 3 pc sets. >>

I still think if it is in a PCGS holder and a 68 first strike with the 20th anniversary label they are worth more than raw. Especially for the RP and the UNC-W
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    I was at a coin show in a small Nebraska town yesterday and a dealer was paying $230 for an opened set and $250 per set in an unopened box from the mint.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options

<< <i>I was at a coin show in a small Nebraska town yesterday and a dealer was paying $230 for an opened set and $250 per set in an unopened box from the mint. >>

That's a little low for the opened set which is selling for about $260 on Ebay but if you figure in fees, it's an OK offer. It's way low on the unopened set though. I've seen them hit $350 plus on the bay.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    I think it is going to take some time for whats out there to absorbed by collectors. Those that did not flip already will need to wait this out or dump. There are a lot still sitting at the grading companies and will be coming on the market as well. With NGC lead times at 22 days (so they could take care of the TV scammers first) there is a lot more to come. I do think the 69's will rise in time but when a raw set costs the same - the TPG are adding nothing to the immediate value unless it is a 70.

I do think the 20th Ann. Designation will have some importance in the future as people will be trying to re-assemble sets.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I was at a coin show in a small Nebraska town yesterday and a dealer was paying $230 for an opened set and $250 per set in an unopened box from the mint. >>

That's a little low for the opened set which is selling for about $260 on Ebay but if you figure in fees, it's an OK offer. It's way low on the unopened set though. I've seen them hit $350 plus on the bay. >>

I second that. I have been watching unopened sets on ebay (b/c I have one and, of course, it's exciting to watch!), and I'd place a range of $290 to $380 on these sets. $350 seems the norm.
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I was in a coin shop a week ago Saturday and watched the dealer sell three opened sets for $280 each.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    That same guy my dad (coinhusker) was talking about was selling them for $300. He also told me that in 10 years they might be worth $1,000!! Do you think that could happen?
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That same guy my dad (coinhusker) was talking about was selling them for $300. He also told me that in 10 years they might be worth $1,000!! Do you think that could happen? >>

With a Reverse Proof mintage of 250K, $1000 per set is unlikely even after 10 years. The 1995-W ASE with a mintage of 30,125 is selling for only $5K today.
  • Options

<< <i>That same guy my dad (coinhusker) was talking about was selling them for $300. He also told me that in 10 years they might be worth $1,000!! Do you think that could happen? >>

Isn't the vault already charging that? image
    In all seriousness, never say never when it comes to what people will pay for coins.
  • Options

IMHO -- This is a prime opportunity. There were what, 200K of these 20th Ann. sets minted? And the 2006-W UNC has an additional 200K minted?

The mint made about 2,000,000 too few sets and about 3,000,000 too few 2006-W UNC. Again, MHO...

I'm not saying it's another 1995-W, but it is still pretty good. The Minst just didn't strike enough coins. A LOT of people will want the reverse proof, unlike any other silver coin ever produced.

The usual mintage for ASEs, and the ASE proofs is way higher than the numbers for the sets:

1999 Silver Eagle 7,408,640
    1999 Silver Eagle Proof 549,769
    2000 Silver Eagle 9,239,132
    2000 Silver Eagle Proof 600,000
    2001 Silver Eagle 9,001,711
    2001 Silver Eagle Proof 750,000
    2002 Silver Eagle 10,535,000
    2002 Silver Eagle Proof 750,000
    2003 Silver Eagle 8,495,008
    2003 Silver Eagle Proof 750,000

figures from CoinLand.com

A blowout is coming. Perhaps a little risk is in order... Say maybe buying like crazy until it gets to $500 for the set? I am buying every 2006-W that is certified 20th Ann. I can get my hands on.
    //ab

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're off by 70k
    They made 250,000 of the 3pc sets. And, 20k of the gold/silver UNC sets.

That said, I like these coins image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>That same guy my dad (coinhusker) was talking about was selling them for $300. >>

Pretty big spread there. Not outrageous by any means, but big.

<< <i> He also told me that in 10 years they might be worth $1,000!! Do you think that could happen? >>

I'd hate to try and predict that far out, but I would think these sets will be selling in the $500-$600 range in a few years. Look at the Buffalo 2-coin sets. Similar mintage, but the SAE sets have two key coins and a much larger collector base than Modern Commems. (Yes, I do realize that not only Commem collectors bought these; not only SAE collectors will buy the RP either). Let's put it this way: If the SAE 20th Anniversary sets are selling for $1000 10 years from now, I won't be shocked.

• Options
    Again, MHO. I don't think 10 years.

The 2006-W UNC is the first year in the series. I think it will be a lot like the 1999 State Quarter silver proof sets. The UNCs are great because they are going to make them in 2007 and perhaps many years after. They will be affordable for everyone if they buy them from the mint. As soon as the 2007s are selling pretty good, the demand for the 2006s will rise even more, and with every year after.

And the reverse proofs aren't going to be made any more, I assume???

<VBG> --- Don't you know the 'anti-modern-crap' crowd hates seeing this? I am beginning to understand the viewpoint... But I have a bunch of UNCs to get rid of before attempting to cleanse myself....

//ab

• Options
    I have two sets in Mint packaging.....which are basically free. I'll probably keep one forever, but will sell the extra in a year or two when they are going for $750 or more. JMHO
  • Options
    If I could get these kind of prices for my raw sets I'd have to take the money and run.

Link

Link
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE THESE SETS? ( RAW THAT IS )image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>Send them to me, I will store them for you. image >>

Will you pay for shipping also? image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options