Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dahlonega $5: Guess the grade poll (grade revealed)

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have blocked Longacre from guessing. The rest of you are free to vote and comment. image

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-63? That mintmark looks smaller than the usual ones you post. How'd that work out?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    291fifth grade: VG8

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>MS-63? That mintmark looks smaller than the usual ones you post. How'd that work out? >>

There is some variation in the size and location of the MM throughout the run of the series.

Some are small:

Some are tall:

We even had a thread about it a while back.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will guess MS-63. Nice coin, way nicer than the average Dahlonega gold coin.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>291fifth grade: VG8

image >>

Naaaw! I've adopted modern grading standards. Premium Quality BU.image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>MS-63? That mintmark looks smaller than the usual ones you post. How'd that work out? >>

There is some variation in the size and location of the MM throughout the run of the series.

Some are small:

Some are tall:

We even had a thread about it a while back. >>

excellent information! Thanks.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted for AU58.

I really like the color and strike, but what appears to be extensive scuffing in the fields surrounding the main devices on both sides makes me believe this is not a Mint State coin.

Then again, I don't collect gold so I'm really just guessing.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I voted 58. Looks MS to me, truth be told, but with the way these accelerate into "crazy money" in the MS grades, I suspect they'd look for any reason, however small, to justify holding it back to 58.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    MS-64. Remember that gold is very soft and gets marks very easily. Also, this is a good ol' Southern mint, so often they did not have the good equipment like their Yankee counterparts.
    Tom

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MS-64. Remember that gold is very soft and gets marks very easily. Also, this is a good ol' Southern mint, so often they did not have the good equipment like their Yankee counterparts. >>

The fact that gold is soft and gets marks easily just means that there aren't going to be many coins that merit high grades. It doesn't mean that grading standards should be lowered, even though that is exactly what the TPG's seem to do. This issue has been beaten to death many, many times.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The fact that gold is soft and gets marks easily just means that there aren't going to be many coins that merit high grades."

Or it means market grade adjustment image.

Beautiful coin and it's a toss-up between AU-58 and MS-63.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    I went with 64. When it comes to grading gold I'm lost. Bob
    Pecunia in arbotis non crescit.
  • Options
    The coin is in a 63 holder. It was a 63 went it sold as part of the Miller Collection in 1999. It's still a 63 today. It will be a 63 tomorrow...
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks 62ish to me.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin is in a 63 holder. It was a 63 went it sold as part of the Miller Collection in 1999. It's still a 63 today. It will be a 63 tomorrow... >>

I like it as a 63, and I'm happy to see they didn't punish it for being a condition rarity. I prefer my grading standards consistent, thank you very much. image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of grade, that is a kick-butt Dahlonega coin -- strong strike, minimal marks, and super luster!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file