Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

50 sets-ASE PCGS auction

How high will it go? Any guesses? link

Comments

• Options
    No guess on the final price, but it's interesting to note the field striations on the Reverse Proof that's pictured.

I wonder if they all are that way.
    "Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."
  • Options
    just looked closer at that coin, interesting.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see what happens on this auction. Currently a bit above $12k but has not met reserve.

I also find it interesting that the mint packaging is offered up at $12 a pop - that'a another $600 for the packaging alone! But I suspect the winner won't be interested in the packaging at that price. That will go on Ebay separately for those coins that didn't make 69 or 70 (or have problems). Those pieces will get cracked out and find their way back into the mint packaging to be sold as original.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It will be interesting to see what happens on this auction. Currently a bit above $12k but has not met reserve.

I also find it interesting that the mint packaging is offered up at $12 a pop - that'a another $600 for the packaging alone! But I suspect the winner won't be interested in the packaging at that price. That will go on Ebay separately for those coins that didn't make 69 or 70 (or have problems). Those pieces will get cracked out and find their way back into the mint packaging to be sold as original. >>

3 coins to a box makes $1800 total.....image
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No guess on the final price, but it's interesting to note the field striations on the Reverse Proof that's pictured.

I wonder if they all are that way. >>

You sure it's not the holder or photo problem? I looked at the large version of the RP and it's a pretty dark photo. Considering the number of PR68s PCGS has graded, why would something with field striations get a PR69 grade? And all of them? I don't understand. Thanks.
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The price is up to $252 each right now with an hour to go. Average prices on ebay for this would be around 300 - 320. He needs another 2500 to break even INHO.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    John91CJohn91C Posts: 300 ✭✭
    My RP 70 has field striations just like one pictured in the auction...the RP 69 doesn't...hmmm?

John
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It will be interesting to see what happens on this auction. Currently a bit above $12k but has not met reserve.

I also find it interesting that the mint packaging is offered up at $12 a pop - that'a another $600 for the packaging alone! But I suspect the winner won't be interested in the packaging at that price. That will go on Ebay separately for those coins that didn't make 69 or 70 (or have problems). Those pieces will get cracked out and find their way back into the mint packaging to be sold as original. >>

3 coins to a box makes $1800 total.....image >>

Whoops! 3 coins came in one box with one COA. I think that comes to, lets see, $600 for 50 boxes at $12 each.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Is it possible that these are marginal sets for the grade?

Is this a panick sale to raise funds?

Will these sets meet the reserve price?

Tune in to this soap opera epis epic, for some of the answers.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Lets see.

$5000 for the sets from the Mint
    $2250 for grading @ $15 a coin. Not including shipping, both ways.
    $200 ebay fees. (estimate)

$8000 initial cost.

This guy is Always high on the reserves. They didn't sell.

$13,700 divided by 50 = $274 a set. That's pretty much the going rate.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No guess on the final price, but it's interesting to note the field striations on the Reverse Proof that's pictured.

You sure it's not the holder or photo problem? I looked at the large version of the RP and it's a pretty dark photo. Considering the number of PR68s PCGS has graded, why would something with field striations get a PR69 grade? And all of them? I don't understand. Thanks. >>

Why would field striations prevent a coin from being graded 70 ? According to PCGS coin grading guide a PR70 coin is "as struck, with full strike". Since the die polish lines are 'as struck/mint made' why would they have any effect on the grade ?
  • Options

<< <i>Lets see.

$5000 for the sets from the Mint
    $2250 for grading @ $15 a coin. Not including shipping, both ways.
    $200 ebay fees. (estimate)

$8000 initial cost.

This guy is Always high on the reserves. They didn't sell.

$13,700 divided by 50 = $274 a set. That's pretty much the going rate. >>

I bet this submitter is getting a little better deal than $15 per coin. IMO, to be able to acquire 50 sets at $274 each would be really low. I would wager that the reserve was at least $15,000, probably more.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

You sure it's not the holder or photo problem? I looked at the large version of the RP and it's a pretty dark photo. Considering the number of PR68s PCGS has graded, why would something with field striations get a PR69 grade? And all of them? I don't understand. Thanks. >>

Why would field striations prevent a coin from being graded 70 ? According to PCGS coin grading guide a PR70 coin is "as struck, with full strike". Since the die polish lines are 'as struck/mint made' why would they have any effect on the grade ? >>

They don't. I had 2 RP PR70s late last year and one had striations and the other didn't. Both were very nice looking coins.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My RP 70 has field striations just like one pictured in the auction...the RP 69 doesn't...hmmm? >>

What ever they are then they apparently have no effect on the grade.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>Is it possible that these are marginal sets for the grade?

Is this a panick sale to raise funds?

Will these sets meet the reserve price?

Tune in to this soap opera epis epic, for some of the answers. >>

These are not going to be marginal sets for the grade, nor is it a panick sale to raise fund. He no doubt sent in cases and cases of these sets in order to get as many 70 grades as possible. He made, or is making, his money back on the 70 coins, and these are just the ones that didn't make the grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file