Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Those ASE sets are moving up.

Seems like the raw sets are averaging arounf $250 and many times more thn that. Will be fun to watch.

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    The really smart people didn't order 10 sets, the ordered 1 set 10 times. The last singled mint sealed set just sold for $380!!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The really smart people didn't order 10 sets, the ordered 1 set 10 times. The last singled mint sealed set just sold for $380!! >>

Yeah, I thought about that afterwards. I thought I was smart ordering in boxes of 5, but I outsmarted myself and should have done singles

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I think 2x5 is better than 1x10. Happily I am now 4x10!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    All I want for christmas is a Rev Proof PF 70. Six attempts and six 69's. I think I will just leave the rest raw.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    Would you trade your six 69's for a 70?
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    We bought 5 boxes of 2. How are they doing?
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options

<< <i>All I want for christmas is a Rev Proof PF 70. Six attempts and six 69's. I think I will just leave the rest raw. >>

Had 2 of those (First Strike)...ended up going to sell one and keep one. Wife wanted a new car in December. Sold both.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>All I want for christmas is a Rev Proof PF 70. Six attempts and six 69's. I think I will just leave the rest raw. >>

Had 2 of those (First Strike)...ended up going to sell one and keep one. Wife wanted a new car in December. Sold both. >>

So you got her a car for $30 worth of silver. Gold Bless America.

O yeah I went 0 for 10 on getting a 70 reverse prrof. But I got 9 69's
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Had 2 of those (First Strike)...ended up going to sell one and keep one. Wife wanted a new car in December. Sold both. >>

So you got her a car for $30 worth of silver. Gold Bless America.

image >>

Not the full car image (I wish I had James' (Segoja) good fortune...he sold the set for $9k, but it did give us a nice chunk of the downpayment image

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Wonder what the folks who paid like $5 k for the single rev proof 70 are now doing as it could be had for TONS cheaper. Crying I guess.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 1/2 month ago I sent PCGS 20 sealed SAE anniversary sets. Scored 6 reverse PR70's, already sold them all. I am rat holing all the the reverse proof PR69 and PR68's. I believe these sets have a great future!
    I have 20 more sealed SAE anniversary sets at PCGS....my fingers and toes are crossed.image
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    My RP 68 is a LOT scarcer than your PR69s! image

At least according to the pop report!

I wonder how many new ASE collectors this set brought into the ASE collecting community, and how many are now buying the previous dates?
    Certainly can't hurt the values of these "modern crapola bullion" coins...
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing but it seems the prices have dropped for the 93,94,95 proof Silver eagles?
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>I was wondering the same thing but it seems the prices have dropped for the 93,94,95 proof Silver eagles? >>

Buy them now!!!!!! image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two sets for sale now on Ebay.. I'll report back and let everyone know what I got for them.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i'm in a debate too as to what to do with the 3 boxes of 10 i have.

doing nothing seems to be alright for now.

maybe, yes, it would have been better to buy them one at a time as far as selling them
  • Options

<< <i>i'm in a debate too as to what to do with the 3 boxes of 10 i have.

maybe, yes, it would have been better to buy them one at a time as far as selling them >>

If I were in your shoes, I would sell 1 box of 10 now. Get back your entire original cost of all 30 sets that way.
    Then, I would likely sit on 1 box. The other box....debatable and depends on your own situation. Do you need the money now (sell it)? Do you feel lucky (get them graded)? Do you feel they will skyrocket unopened (remember, this is 10 sets you are sitting on)?

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i'm in a debate too as to what to do with the 3 boxes of 10 i have.

maybe, yes, it would have been better to buy them one at a time as far as selling them >>

I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't see anything going up as fast or as high in the near future. A bulk PCGS submision might be a good option (for me) yet the NGC MS70's pull in good money also. Or sub to both TPG's and go that route. I'll just wait till the dust settles.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    i sold six sets today at an average of $266 per. some individually and a few pairs.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I sold one FS PCGS Set 69 for $325 in the beginning of the year. 6 sets went to NGC- still waiting for my grades(ANA submission 45 days and counting). Two sets raw given as presents. The other 22 sets graded by PCGS with 3 rev 70's, 4 DCAM 70's rest in 69 and 68. These will be put away for a couple of years. I hope they soar. I don't think you will see reverse proofs in silver or gold this year or any year after. Perhaps in the 30th Anniversary Set if the series lasts that long.
  • Options
    I just sold two sets for $261 each. W00t!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    What in the history of ASE's would lead one to believe these put away sets will soar? Not criticizing, just asking a simple question as I don't purchase them. Have other ones soared in price?
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about soaring, but I believe there will be a steady rise in price for not only these sets but also the series in general.

It's now 20 years old, is a relatively inexpensive set to acquire, always has the inherent silver value, and has the beautiful walking Liberty design. JMHO as to why I am filling in a couple of holes in the set and why I like them.

Yeah, you get the "modern crapola" stigma attached to them by some other collectors, but I don't care. I think the 20th anniversary sets are attracting new collectors to the series, too.
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    I was just about to comment! I am so glad I kept mine sealed! I also bought one for $165 on ebay in October which would qualify for "First Strike" provided the documentation that I have. Boom, that's ~$350 for the sealed, ~$250 for the opened. This is the best return I have had in our hobby to date. I owe it to the forum for bringing about awareness of this set.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    In response to the question as to why the 2006 3 coin sets will continue to move up, it is just my opinion they will rise steadily over the next few years. The comparable coin (to me) is the 2001 Buffalo silver dollar. They rose quickly to around $100, settled for a while and now are somewhere around $250 depending upon condition and certification.

The SAE series is fairly popular and the Reverse Proof is unique for now. With a mintage of about 64% of the lowest previous year, the price should exceed that of the previous (excluding the expensive 1995-W @ 5K) semi key.

The Unc coin is the sleeper as it is the key to the uncirculated SAE series. At one sixth the mintage of the next lowest mintage produced (470K versus 3.6 MM) I can easily see this coin being a $150 coin down the road.

All this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, just my opinion.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What in the history of ASE's would lead one to believe these put away sets will soar? Not criticizing, just asking a simple question as I don't purchase them. Have other ones soared in price? >>

Supply and Demand.

Remembering that there were not 250,000 individual buys as many high volume dealers purchased a lot more than I could afford. Forward looking speculators also purchased a bunch.

The First Strike Folks are clamoring for these sets and it just goes from there.

I only wish I had bit the bullet and purchased 10 sets instead of my paltry three.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    A roll of 20 1996 ASE goes for $1200 which is the lowest mintage for the MS coins in the series at around 3.4 million. That is now in second with the 2006 W MS ASE at 470,000. Will the mint make 500,000 W ASE's in 2007? I for one will be try to be first in line when these go on sale.
  • Options
    "The Unc coin is the sleeper as it is the key to the uncirculated SAE series. At one sixth the mintage of the next lowest mintage produced (470K versus 3.6 MM) I can easily see this coin being a $150 coin down the road."

I hope you are right DeepCoin.

My order for 60 2006-w unc. silver eagle just became "stock and reserved", placed on 11/18. image

David
  • Options

<< <i>What in the history of ASE's would lead one to believe these put away sets will soar? Not criticizing, just asking a simple question as I don't purchase them. Have other ones soared in price? >>

The history of ASEs haven't, until 2006, included a set like this. The closest thing to it would have to be the tenth anniversary set, and we all know where those went.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I believe the 2006-W will really help the bullion series as every series needs a key coin. I understand this is a relative term, but for people collecting on a budget, this could be the coin they strive for financially while also allowing them to collect all the other coins without substantial financial hardship.

This is all just speculation, but I truely believe the 2006-W will be a winner in a few years compared with today's prices. For those who have frequented these boards for a while, remember when everyone who owned a 1995-W proof SAE and had paid $2500 was laughed at? Now it is a 5k coin.

It will be fun to watch.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    I agree, Deepcoin. The SAE unc set is such a great set for a beginner collector to get started on. They're big, beautiful, and you can have a complete set in a Dansco album for around $400.00. It's a good entry point for novice collectors-- there just aren't too many ways to get burned.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Lets not forget the growth of the market. At 250k they are a big, great looking set, and there are just not enough to go into everyones collection without pulling up some cash. The Buff Commems showed us that. A popular series, with good looks, well packaged, two keys, two first types, its going to be a winner. Well, it already is.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Another point I'd like to add: It seems like people are going "slab-crazy" on these sets thereby increasing the market value of raw sets. Meanwhile, registry sets keep growing in popularity. Could you imagine if PCGS lifted the ban on MS70 Unc SAEs? Also, I think there is a die-crack variety (or soon-to-be variety) floating around which further increases the value of an unopened SAE set.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My RP 68 is a LOT scarcer than your PR69s! image

At least according to the pop report! >>

I have one of the two RP PR67's on the population report. Is the RP PR67 more valuable than higher grades because it has the lowest grade/population so far? >>

I would think not........anyone can turn a 69 into a 67 or a 65 for that matter, but try turning a 67 into a 69.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file