Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advisory body does not like any of the Hawaii quarter designs

HONOLULU (AP) _ Five proposed designs have been submitted by Hawaii for the 50th state quarter. But a federal design advisory body doesn't like any of them.

Three designs submitted by the Hawaii Commemorative Quarter Advisory Commission feature Kamehameha the Great, the unifier of the Hawaiian islands.

One features a surfer and another a female hula dancer.

But Thomas Luebke of the U-S Commission of Fine Arts says panel members thought the five designs were too cluttered and visually confusing.

He says the commission would like to see Diamond Head as the main feature on the coin because the extinct volcano is a recognizable landscape.

But another advisory group, the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee, says it favors keeping King Kamehameha on the coin.

Both groups are advising the treasury secretary as he selects a design to send back to Hawaii for local approval.

Comments

• Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    Why don't they let the people of the states decide which they like best?
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

They should use the same obverse as the 1883 Hawaiian quarter.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It is pretty amazing with all the ugly state quarters out there, they wait until #50 of 50 to start making their objections.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is pretty amazing with all the ugly state quarters out there, they wait until #50 of 50 to start making their objections. >>

DUH! image

I wonder what the designs look like? Whatever they were they gotta be better than Wyoming...............

No wait, Wyoming isn't cluttered. At all.

I either can't type or I can't spell..................

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is pretty amazing with all the ugly state quarters out there, they wait until #50 of 50 to start making their objections. >>

I don't think that is true. I'm from MO and but Iive in CA. A friend back there kept me informed of quite a bit of hoopla over the design. The artist/supporters of the rejected design were so upset that they had 10,000 of them privately minted and gave them away in protest or something like that. I have one of the rejects somewhere. I didn't really have an opinion.

The hawaiian desire for a simpler design probably reflects the fact that the review is being done while the Montana Quarter is featured on the mint website. I think a lot of people like it's stark simplicity so when they look at a complicated design, they complain. If the classic texas commem was on the website now....
  • Options
    If they want the MOSt popular state quarter ever. They should put a topless Hula girl on it.
  • Options
    Moose1913Moose1913 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    I think the first 3 are cool myself, wouldn't mind any one of them
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103

<< <i>I think the first 3 are cool myself, wouldn't mind any one of them >>

I agree with the 3rd one as well. Very nice. Seems to represent Hawaii.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hawaii designs, like most of the state quarter designs, are predictable, unimaginative, boring and lacking in any artistic merit. They look like the work of graphic designers and not artists.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I don't see any clutter on any of the designs.
  • Options
    Maybe they could enhance them with scent of "hawaiian pizza" image
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    3 is the coolest of those designs. There is definetely something wrong with the Wyoming that silhouette of a horse is doing something to me. Maybe the dies will get polished and we can get a 3 legged colt.
  • Options
  • Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    I like the third reverse. None look too cluttered or confusing to me...
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No to surfer Joe.

What does that last one say?

A combo of the girl on two and Diamond Head on three would work I think.
  • Options
    There may be political reasons why the panel is rejecting the King kamehameha design. #1 There is currently an open lawsuit of the US gov't vs. Kamehameha school here in Hawaii because you must be at least part Hawaiian to attend, and the US gov't is challenging the school's policy via the civil rights act. The school won the suit but the gov't will appeal.

#2- Putting King Kam's image on the coin would legitimize the fact that Hawaii was once a sovereign entity with its own government (which was a monarchy).

Sean
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

-Mark Twain
  • Options
    Moose1913Moose1913 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What does that last one say? >>

The state motto, “Ua mau ke ea o ka ‘âina i ka pono,” meaning “The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness.”
    I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta agree with the COmmittee on this one, I don't like any of the designs either. I think the satire Hawaii quarter out there has a better design, and no I will not post a picture of it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why don't they let the people of the states decide which they like best? >>

Deferring to the desires of the states pretty much died in 1865.
  • Options
    No disrespect to the king but that thing he is wearing on his head makes him look like a space alien from Star Trek. image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭
    The one with Diamond Head works for me.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Art can be complex. Just look at some of Picasso's works. There is a difference between cluttered and art. I would think the reason the mint so likes designs such as WO. They are simple to produce.

Wyoming--Plywood sign with no depth. Man, that is really mind challenging art!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file