Home U.S. Coin Forum

Progress on Scher's new collection

Thought I would update on my progress after 2 years of collecting a new series or 2after selling virtually all my coins in early 05'..I started all over collecting all denominations of seated proofs 1858 and up..still needed to cpmplete half dimes and dollars 3 coins each and the qtrs still need 4 coins the dimes and halves have plenty of holes..I have managed to corral many pop tops and 20 coins are 1/0..Most prized thus far are 1873 and 1874 arrow dimes in 66C and 67..These are really cool and also recently acquired an 1883 qtr in 68C..These seated sets are quite a challenge for me and though hopefully they will be complete in a year or 2 with nice examples I know it will take many more years to get em all the way I want em.I have learned a lot about these seated proofs and have recently started going a bit older and and even have a few coins with mintages of as little as 5 coins..I sometimes cant resist something pretty from my old areas of interest but try to keep my focus on the seated stuff..Do you collect proof seated? Post it if ya can..My skills at posting are beyond weak..These sets have been a blast to work on.

Bruce Scher

Comments

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bruce. It is great to hear from you. Wow, proof seated stuff. With comments like: ..."progress after 2 years of collecting a new series ...managed to corral many pop tops and 20 coins are 1/0...and even have a few coins with mintages of as little as 5 coins",
    I'd say that you are doing fantastically well in the seated series! Congratulations!!

Now, how 'bout them Plats.???
    Number three and movin' up...

Platinum Eagles Complete Set, Proof (1997-present)
    Current Finest
    1 F. Soro - The Liberty Collection
    2 John's Platinum Hoard
    3 Bruce Scher

• TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Bruce,

Smart move, these are totally undervalued, and beautiful.

Though I have sold off much of my type, including MS seated halves, quarters and dimes, I cannot seem to part with the several Proofs that just seem too nice to let go.

Wish you continued success.
    TahoeDale
  • nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Love proof seated, here are a few of mine that are imaged:

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce,

Thanks for updating us. I see that you have added your sets to the registry. Good luck for continued success, and, if you get the chance, how about a picture or two? Seated proofs can be awfully attractive.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce, congratulations on making so much progress in such a short time! Do you prefer the cameos, the white coins or the toned coins for these sets?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your progress and please keep us updated.

PS. I loved the picture of you in the auction catalog, sitting on your Hog. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Howzabout a seated 20 cent pattern?
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Bruce.

I like proof seated and agree many coins are very undervalued given their rarity.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Hi guys..thanks for the nice comments.Registry..Those Plats are tougher than I thought!! Dale.. I understand your reluctance to release those few proofs, thats what got me started. Ryk..thanks for the nice thoughts..Rich..Im doing both white and toned, i prefer toned though. Longacre..Are you a closet biker??? Come on out of that closet...
    Bruce Scher
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congratulations on your progress and please keep us updated.

PS. I loved the picture of you in the auction catalog, sitting on your Hog. image >>

Ditto! That was the best consigner photo ever. But you'll never get me on one of those things. image
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce: You said:

<< <i>These sets have been a blast to work on. >>

Now that is the ultimate prize!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Longacre..Are you a closet biker??? Come on out of that closet...
    Bruce Scher >>

Longacre doesn't look good in black leather. image

I look mighty tough pushing the minivan down the highway, though. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my only one currently.

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Bruce, did you keep that 3 cent nickel in PF68?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scher, RIP.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file