Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POP Analysis Update - 2006 W-Unc Plats-2-05-07

After spending hours of going back and forth in my mind before New Years on this issue, I finally relented and sent my (16) 1 .oz 2006 W-Unc Plats in to PCGS for the trademarked "First Strike" label. Hey, the key coin of the series, what the heck....

I must admit, I just love that dang, American Flag.

At the same time on that submission, I thought I would be clever on the next submission right behind it and allow my (6) 1/2 oz., (6) 1/4 oz., and (6) 1/10 oz. Plat Bits to just go thru PCGS with no FS or 10th Anivers. labeling....because after all, at just 2,000 sets, they were all FS, right?

I even took a poll, it was overwhelming here on the Forum that FS didn't mean jack, when 'the pros' bought for themselves, "buy the coin, not the Plastic".. heard that a zillion times.......and everyone voted that way....or did they vote it just to throw everyone off? image

Whelp, the market has spoken as the Plat auction pricing between the raw vs. NGC vs. PCGS vs. PCGS+FS just spread out with you-know-what leading the charge. So dammit, I called PCGS today and that wonderful Nikki (what a doll) set me straight, caught my order and got me just in time to get the FS on my bits.

Boys and Girls, you can't fight the market.....FS is the way to go on this series, all the way. image

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭
    image Smart move (and good timing on the phone call).
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    There is no rational choice other than to select FS. For once I look forward to a choice being taken away from me. image
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    I knew from the beginning that I'd get the FS label, regardless of the bashing by "purists".

Though I agree with "buy the coin, not the slab/plastic/label", if I'm going to slab a coin that will end up with a label, I might as well get the label I find to be the most attractive and if it also carries a resale premium (for better or worse), great!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I'm figured out that most, but not all, of the FS bashing comes from people who collect coins that don't even qualify. They bash the moderns when they're not FS too. So if FS is available, take it, if not, don't worry about it and if people give you a hard time tell then you don't see all the excitement about their silly little microscopic VAMs.--Jerry
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FS is meaningless in terms of coin condition, based on what we know from the Mint's own statements.

I swore that I would never buy a slabbed coin, but a couple years ago, I bought my first slabbed coins.

I swore that I would never join PCGS and pay for slabbing a coin, but just last week, I sent in all of my "W" uncirculated Plats for slabbing.

And yes, I am getting FS on mine.

You are right. You cannot ignore what the market demands.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Getting First Strike is a no brainer. Why would anyone tell you not to get it?

Maybe people have there own agenda. For example, the less First Strikes the better for their First Strikes. ?!?!?

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Getting First Strike is a no brainer. Why would anyone tell you not to get it?

Maybe people have there own agenda. For example, the less First Strikes the better for their First Strikes. ?!?!? >>

Agreed. Just feeding the market that was brilliantly made, no matter how lame it really is with these low mintage plats. I think collectors want their albums look consistant and want FS on all their labels. At the same time, why would PCGS not offer FS on gold uncs. Instead, surprisingly, the gold uncs of 2006 have the "20th Anniversary, American Eagle Program" attribution and a flag in the upper right hand corner at no extra charge?!
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭
    AND, if PCGS stops making the First Strike(how do you make the TM mark in small upper letters?), then they will be even MORE valuable. Why? Look at the old rattler slabs, or, the green slabs, or the unusual ciffin type slabs. They bring more money. Why? The aerly slabs might upgrade, the coffins are just plain RARE, etc. They less available, the more desirable it will be. Even from the purists after awhile. Granted, they will never publically admit it though. I'm on my way to the post office shortly to send my W plats for the FS designation. If I'm not happy I can break it out. BUT, after the 13th, we'll NEVER have the chance again. I have no 70's because of very small metal imperfections that leave tiny imperfections because the metal is so hard and not smooth. Maybe I'm too picky though. Good luck. Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were these submitted "regular" or Economy?
    Insurance only covers you adequitly with Regular service.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I got FS on my 20th anniversarry coins and it has more than paid for getting the label.

Wish I would have paid the $15 on my PR70 gold buffalo because the FS ones are still going for twice as much.
  • Options
    I have no 70's because of very small metal imperfections that leave tiny imperfections because the metal is so hard and not smooth

You might be getting too picky!

21124 2006-W $100 Statue of Liberty MS
    MS69 = 75
    MS70 = 133
    Total graded = 208

21123 2006-W $50 Statue of Liberty MS
    MS69 = 67
    MS70 = 124
    Total graded = 191

21122 2006-W $25 Statue of Liberty MS
    MS69 = 103
    MS70 = 76
    Total graded = 179

21121 2006-W $10 Statue of Liberty MS
    MS69 = 116
    MS70 = 95
    Total graded = 211
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Yes there are a high percentage of 70's being graded but dont get too hung up on it, i've had large submissions have less success at even meeting the average number at 70's......and small orders hit higher percentages.

I still cant figure it out.
  • Options
    Check out the COMNBINED PCGS & NGC POP Thread

LINKY BINKY
  • Options
    Here is the POP Count & % Analysis for Sunday Jan. 28, 2007 - NGC is not in this total.

21125 2006-W $10 Statue of Liberty
    21121 2006-W $10 Statue of Liberty First Strike - Combine # of Coins Graded = 716/3,700

Total % of MS70's of all Submittals = 32.96%---- Overall Total % of Mintage graded at PCGS= 19.35%
    -------------------
    21126 2006-W $25 Statue of Liberty
    21122 2006-W $25 Statue of Liberty First Strike - Combine # of Coins Graded = 643/2,700

Total % of MS70's of all Submittals = 28.77%---- Overall Total % of Mintage graded at PCGS = 23.81%
    -------------------
    21127 2006-W $50 Statue of Liberty
    21123 2006-W $50 Statue of Liberty First Strike - Combine # of Coins Graded = 655/2,650

Total % of MS70's of all Submittals = 39.39%---- Overall Total % of Mintage graded at PCGS= 24.72%
    -------------------
    21127 2006-W $100 Statue of Liberty
    21123 2006-W $100 Statue of Liberty First Strike - Combine # of Coins Graded = 947/2,500

Total % of MS70's of all Submittals = 31.78%---- Overall Total % of Mintage graded at PCGS= 37.88%

Brian's submittal skewed the $100 Coin numbers and accelerated the numbers race and from a % view, really puts the MS70 $100 coin rareity on par with the MS70 $25 rareity, IMHO.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Overall Total % of Mintage graded MS70's at PCGS >>

You lost me on this one... how is this calculated?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Opps, too much cuttin' and pastn' - now fixed
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    So in other words, with only about 25% of the precincts reporting, we still don't know who the winners are.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Whelp, the Florida Percincts (NGC) have yet to report. They are very, very Liberal so we shall see.

When adding last week's NGC numbers (1/22/2007) to this weeks PCGS:

Overall Total % of $10 Mintage graded at PCGS + NGC = 32.76%

Overall Total % of $25 Mintage graded at PCGS + NGC = 35.96%

Overall Total % of $50 Mintage graded at PCGS + NGC = 36.49%

Overall Total % of $100 Mintage graded at PCGS + NGC = 50.00%
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I still have (3) unopened 1 oz Platinums and (1) unopened 4 coin Set - can I still send them in and get the First Strike Labels?

Just got my paperwork from joining PCGS. What can I say - I'm a procrastinator. image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I still have (3) unopened 1 oz Platinums and (1) unopened 4 coin Set - can I still send them in and get the First Strike Labels?

Just got my paperwork from joining PCGS. What can I say - I'm a procrastinator. image >>

Check the shipping date stamped on the boxes, call PCGS and ask if they qualify. If they do you are in good shape, just fill out the form and send the boxes in another bigger box.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is safe to say that the ms 70s in any major holder will not be cracked out, but many 69's may be cracked out in hopes of a higher grade provided they are not FS/ER holders.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Check the shipping date stamped on the boxes, call PCGS and ask if they qualify. If they do you are in good shape, just fill out the form and send the boxes in another bigger box. >>

(3) 1 oz Plats - 12/22/06 ship date

(1) 4 coin set - 12/15/06 ship date
  • Options
    Where did the final mintage numbers end up?

edit: got it.

$10 3700
    $25 2700
    $50 2650
    $100 2500
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    They've come and went, good coins. Let it rest and we'll see what they do. I love these but don't just collect one series or moderns. Find a Classic series you like if you really like coins. We've made money and it's al GOOD but it's time to move on IMO.
  • Options
    Here is the POP Count & % Analysis for Sunday Jan. 28, 2007 - NGC is Included.

21125 2006-W $10 Statue of Liberty
    21121 2006-W $10 Statue of Liberty First Strike - Combine (PCGS+NGC) # of Coins Graded MS70= 46.43 %

AS OF 01-30-2007 - 1,318/3,700 or 35.62% OF THE $10 Mintage has been Graded.
    -------------------

21126 2006-W $25 Statue of Liberty
    21122 2006-W $25 Statue of Liberty First Strike - Combine (PCGS+NGC) # of Coins Graded MS70= 43.73 %

AS OF 01-30-2007 - 1,061/2,700 or 39.30% OF THE $25 Mintage has been Graded.
    -------------------
    21127 2006-W $50 Statue of Liberty
    21123 2006-W $50 Statue of Liberty First Strike - Combine (PCGS+NGC) # of Coins Graded MS70= 43.73 %

AS OF 01-30-2007 - 1,059/2,650 or 51.37% OF THE $50 Mintage has been Graded.
    -------------------
    21127 2006-W $100 Statue of Liberty
    21123 2006-W $100 Statue of Liberty First Strike - Combine (PCGS+NGC) # of Coins Graded MS70= 43.06 %

AS OF 01-30-2007 - 1,340/2,500 or 53.60% OF THE $100 Mintage has been Graded.
  • Options
    Thanks, Coinboy!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    I wonder what percentage of the 70's would cross from NGC to PCGS?
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Probably 10% would cross.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder what percentage of the 70's would cross from NGC to PCGS? >>

Bwahaahaaa image
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    I think buying the NGC 69's might be a good deal and not the 70's, I mean they are a least 69's right?image
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    $100 Coin is Now the King.

1+905+326=1232/2,500 graded = 26.46% % of MS70 at PCGS

Buy them up because they will beat the $25 Coin.

I will post combined POP when NGC updates.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    It is strange that some folks can be so stubborn, as to fail

to recognize the effect, of human nature reaction, to the First

Strike designation. Human nature, frequently defies reason,

logic and classic coin collecting thinking. We origonally stated, that

PCGS had created a genuine scarcity with the FS and that the

market place would reward coins slabbed with such a designation.

Some folks just like the flag label, other folks like the sense of being

in possession of something special. Either way, It is what it is.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file