Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Very short and incomplete list of what was taken in FUN robbery

A total of $4 million in coins taken along with their computer and all records of transactions at the show.

This is an incomplete list, much more than this was taken:

1843 10 Coin Proof Set 1/2c to $10 Gold PR62-PR64
A document is with the set stating this was a presentation
to President Tyler.

1918/17 Buff NGC 62
1795 50c PCGS MS64
1795 Bust Dollar 2 Leaf Variety PCGS MS64

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1843 10 Coin Proof Set 1/2c to $10 Gold PR62-PR64
    A document is with the set stating this was a presentation
    to President Tyler.

DAMN, that's a friggin' national treasure. Truely a shame.
  • Options
    depending on what information was stored on the computer, that could be a very significant problem for the buyers. image
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>depending on what information was stored on the computer, that could be a very significant problem for the buyers. image >>

Anyone who did any business with Summit Rare Coins, Chris Napalitano,
    Tony Adkins and Larry who works with them at the FUN Show please call
    their comptroller ASAP at 651-227-9000. They need to reconstruct any
    transactions from the show.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    These guys were driving around with 4MIL in inventory in their vehicle and no formal security measures?
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope collectors personal info was not on the drive. But I guess it probably was and that puts a lot of collectors in a tough position...image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    VamGuyVamGuy Posts: 1,624

<< <i>These guys were driving around with 4MIL in inventory in their vehicle and no formal security measures? >>

They obviously have more money than brains.
  • Options

<< <i>I sure hope collectors personal info was not on the drive. But I guess it probably was and that puts a lot of collectors in a tough position...image >>

Exactly. I know if i had spent a considerable amount of money and my info was on the puter I'd be making a few extra security precautions at home/work.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    1843 10 Coin Proof Set 1/2c to $10 Gold PR62-PR64. A document is with the set stating this was a presentation
    to President Tyler.

The sad thing is it will probably be lost forever as a set. No way they will be able to dispose of it as a set.

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Saint said earlier, many collectors tool around with $100-500K on their person. There's not a huge difference with an insured dealer carrying 10X that.

A dealer friend of mine sold Summit an NGC MS62 1867-s 10c at the show. Add that to the list of coins taken. I will have him contact Summit upon his return.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>many collectors tool around with $100-500K on their person >>

I think the most I have ever had on my person is 1,500 Euro, and all I do is walk from the US Embassy Cashier to the ING Bank Branch. Both are inside the NATO HQ Compound, so no one get any ideas!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summit/Chris Nap. are good folks. Glad nobody was hurt. This could have happened to anyone. Let's all try to help out. K
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>1843 10 Coin Proof Set 1/2c to $10 Gold PR62-PR64. A document is with the set stating this was a presentation
    to President Tyler.

The sad thing is it will probably be lost forever as a set. No way they will be able to dispose of it as a set.

Dennis >>

The document will probably be burned (to avoid tracing it) and the set broken up and probably sold off as circulation strikes individually. It certainly will never be the same unless the perps are caught pronto before they can do anything to it.

The computer is a troubling thing, as others have pointed out. In the unlikely chance they encrypted the drive, it is not so bad. But a normal one in the hands of a criminal organization, identity theft is the least of the bad consequences to watch for as far as customers and dealers are concerned. Anyone who did significant business with them at the show or anytime documented on that computer is a potential future target. The bigger the transaction, the bigger the target, especially if they are located in Florida.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file