Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

ASA - Anyone had any experiences buying them?

I have my eye on one and it doesn't look trimmed to my eye.

That being said, have you bought any ASA graded cards and were they altered? I'm sure their grading is WAY off, but please let me know what you have found.
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zef

I had a bunch sent to me - on approval - from Alan Hager - I met him at the 92 National in Atlanta.

They were terribly over-graded and to be honest, I didn't even consider trimming.

One had a roller mark that was really deep yet the card was still graded 8PQ; another graded 8PQ had a slight crease in the corner.

A lot of the stuff that they graded is good IMO - but, I would want to look at the card very closely and not trust an ebay scan. If ya gonna buy, I would want a return policy for sure.

Good luck
    mike

Zef - here's a good thread on ASA/CSA cross-overs.
    Mike
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Thanks Mike.

I saw that thread but the majority of those are CSA. Is that the same thing as ASA?

I think I may take a flyer on it, but any other thoughts are genuinely welcomed.

Cheers,

Jordan
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Mike.

I saw that thread but the majority of those are CSA. Is that the same thing as ASA?

Even over on the other board, there is no ASA mention. I think I may take a flyer on it, but any other thoughts are genuinely welcomed.

Cheers,

Jordan >>

Jordan

CSA is kind of like a spin off or franchise of ASA - Hager was selling a handful of them in SCD back around 1993?

I know there's only 3 but at least you can see some are legit - tho - as I said - over graded.

So, the cards are gonna run the whole spectrum from trimmed, over-graded, bad to graded OK I guess.

mike
    Mike
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If it was Alan Hager's own cards, the grading ranges from overgraded to altered. If it was someone else's cards, the grading was pretty good. The trick is to figure out which.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Is Hager on eBay?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I bought a ASA graded card once from Hager on ebay. It was a 9.5 gem mint grade. Popped it out of the holder, it looked sheet cut to me. I sent it into PSA anyway and they graded it a PSA 8. About a break even result on what I paid for it versus what it's worth in a PSA 8 holder. Good luck if you try the same thing.

Rich
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is Hager on eBay? >>

He is...I forget the handle, but all of the 1985 Topps Mini proof cards in the Ebay stores are his...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    zef - treat as if raw.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I agree with what NickM said. Hager was very accurate at grading the cards I sent him. He was also very good at determining altered and trimmed cards (perhaps because he knew exactly how to do it himself). There are some great buys out there in ASA holders - the key is figuring out which cards he owned himself and which were sent to him. The barcodes on the front of the ASA labels identify the grader.

Hager sold the rights to CSA to some people in Ohio. There grading was not very accurate in my opinion.

Hager is still on ebay as ah-collectibles or just ahcollectibles.
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I just saw an [ASA T201 Cobb Double Fold on eBay. The card is actually slabbed with Cobb FOLDED! This tells me all I need to know about ASA....