Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eagles

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
In three sentences or less give me one little fact about them. Pictures are also welcome as is your opinion (in one sentence , or less).

Who starts ? I wanna know !

Comments

• Options
    Indian Head (1907-1933)

Augustus Saint-Gaudens, considered by many the greatest of (ha ha laura, get this) MODERN sculptors, introduced a new high standard of art in the United States coins evidenced by his eagle and double eagle types of 1907.
    reference : 2007 Red Book page 252

Okay, my opinion is: this series just does not appeal to me because the eagle looks odd.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In three sentences or less give me one little fact about them. Pictures are also welcome as is your opinion (in one sentence , or less).

Who starts ? I wanna know ! >>

The female bald eagle lays 2 eggs. The dominant chick forces the other one out of the nest and only one survives.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    Some eagles are just small balls of feathers content to flap short distances, dining on insects or even fruit. The Crested Serpent Eagle, for instance, is no bigger than a pigeon and spends its days walking and climbing through its African forest home in search of snakes. And the African Vulturine Fish-Eagle is primarily a vegetarian, eschewing meat in favor of rich oil palm fruits.
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    I dislike the Phialadelphia Eagles.

• Options
    I said EAGLES, not VULTURES image
  • Options

<< <i>I dislike the Phialadelphia Eagles.

image >>

I love the Philadelphia Eagles. (I'm a born and bred Philly guy and it was sheer joy watching them crush the Giants last Sunday.) image

To keep this coin related, Ben Franklin was opposed to the eagle as the symbol of the country. He preferred the turkey. Apparently as a nod to Ben's feelings, the half dollar bearing his likeness included a tiny eagle on the reverse.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    The obverse of the eagle shows the head of Liberty crowned with an Indian war bonnet while an impressively majestic eagle dominates the revesre side. A departure from older standards is found on the edge of the piece, where 46 raised stars(48 stars in 1912 and later ) are arranged signifying the states of the Union, instead of there being a lettered or reeded edge.
    The first of these coins struck had no motto IN GOD WE TRUST as had the later issues, starting in 1908.

Well, the next sentence in the RED BOOK is great, but that's three sentences and an opinion.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting birds. I once did a report in school comparing an eagle to a dodo bird! Does anyone care?
  • Options

<< <i>I said EAGLES, not VULTURES image >>

OOOps sorry.

How about this one.

The American Bald Eagle symbolized on many US coins, does NOT taste like chicken!

• Options
    OK maybe a real one.

It is said the eagle was used as a national emblem because, at one of the first battles of the Revolution (which occurred early in the morning) the noise of the struggle awoke the sleeping eagles on the heights and they flew from their nests and circled about over the heads of the fighting men, all the while giving vent to their raucous cries. "They are shrieking for Freedom," said the patriots.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The American Bald Eagle symbolized on many US coins, does NOT taste like chicken! >>

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most beautiful one is on the Gobrecht dollar.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The reverse of the Saint-Gaudens $10 is "odd." The eagle came in for a lot of negative criticism and personally, I think it was justified. Pratt's revised version on the $5 is a better bird.
  • Options
    Precious Metals. Nuff said.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options

<< <i>Precious Metals. Nuff said. >>

LOL, you aren't reading the same RED BOOK.

These were circulated gold pieces from 1907 to 1933. They have a big Indian on the front and a little one on the rear. In layman's terms. Who owns one of these ?????? I need a picture.
  • Options

<< <i> They have a big Indian on the front and a little Eagle (I call it puny, not majestic) on the rear. In layman's terms. Who owns one of these ?????? I need a picture. >>

• Options

<< <i>The female bald eagle lays 2 eggs. The dominant chick forces the other one out of the nest and only one survives. >>

That makes me look a little differently at the depiction of the "family of eagles" on the reverse of gold eagle bullion coins.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Federal Agents are going to swarm Dallas Texas on December 26th. Why? Because a bunch of very rowdy 'boys are going to rough up a bunch of Eagles on Christmas day. image
  • Options
    Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird. So you could have a lot of turkey on these coins instead of Eagles. Perhaps Franklin identified more with the turkey?

"For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country....

"I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."

--Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to his daughter
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I saw my first Bald Eagle about 5 months ago. It was a truely magnificent sight, the white head really draws attention.

I saw some wild turkeys when I was in Georgia. I don't think those were special at all - reminded me of big fat buzzards.image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I said EAGLES, not VULTURES image >>

OOOps sorry.

How about this one.

The American Bald Eagle symbolized on many US coins, does NOT taste like chicken!

image >>

Oh yes they do!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file