Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did some 1878-P 7TF Morgan VAM attributions last night - Pics and Question added

Went through a pile of 1878-P 7TF Morgans last night. Between the 7TF Attribution Guide, the VAM Book, and the supplemental updates... I was able to attribute all of them.

Here are the VAMs I identified and the estimated grades-
82 (XF - cleaned)
84 (XF/AU) - has a clash, but can't see any transfered letters
131 (MS62)
131C (XF/AU)
132 (XF)
163 (XF)
199 (XF)
202 (VF)
210A (AU)
220 (VF)
222 (XF)
228 (F)
230 (F - light cleaning and re-toning)

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice assortment. The VAM 163 is one of those coins that can hook people on VAMs. Circulated Reverse of '79s are tough to attribute.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deleted... made a mistake
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Thanks John and Dennis. The circulated coins all came out of a "junk bucket" for $10 each (when silver was at $8 or so).

The U on the VAM 163 is definitely interesting.

I could not find an image of the VAM 199. The other attributes described match the coin, and the R looks broken. Can someone verify?

I like the doubled 1st right star on the VAM 82, but I like the shift/doubling on the B in LIBERTY even better.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Norm:

That IS an interesting coin! I'm going to try to remember to look for one of those.

By the way, the price guide I mentioned says the VAM 220 is worth $100 even in VF. Nice find!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Every time I leave an 1878 in a junk box because I didn't recognize it, I feel like I have done something wrong. Last time, a few days ago, I left it on the top of one stack in case I decided to return for it. I don't know why I didn't just take it for the ten bucks just to play the attribution game. It was a C reverse.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file