Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting information about the Ultra High Relief Double Eagle at the upcoming Heritage sale

I did not know this about the annealing process for the Ultra High Relief Double Eagles. Here is some information from an email from Heritage. It is interesting that the end result is a layer of pure gold on the coins. Does anyone know whether that was a goal of the annealing process, or was it merely the result because the coin had to be annealed between each striking?

This Ultra High Relief double eagle was struck seven times on a medal press in order to fully bring up every detail in the dies. It was annealed between strikings, heating the coin to a cherry-red color and then cooling it in a weak solution of nitric acid. This annealing process gave Ultra High Reliefs an even more distinctive appearance, as the result was a bright surface of nearly pure gold with no variation in appearance between the fields and devices. The 'finish' of the Ultra High Relief transcends terms such as "satiny" or "frosted" - it is simply pure, glittering gold. Charles Barber, Chief Engraver of the Mint, certainly objected to the interference of outsiders such as Saint-Gaudens, but the lengthy, exacting production process for these Ultra High Relief coins made them impractical for commercial purposes. That the spirit of Saint-Gaudens' des ign survived the evolution of the double eagle through the 'regular' High Reliefs and thence to lower relief coins was to the artistic benefit of the nation.

The surfaces of the incredible coin we are privileged to offer are bright orange-gold. As mentioned above, this finish is the product of repeated annealings, which resulted in the eventual elimination of all copper from the alloy and a thin layer of pure gold over both obverse and reverse. The striking details are nothing short of extraordinary also with an even more pronounced, dished, three-dimensional effect than seen on a regular High Relief. After several minutes of examining this piece with a strong magnifier we finally were able to locate one surface flaw that might be used as a pedigree identifier for this important coin: There is a short, diagonal luster graze on the reverse between the eagle's head and the forward curve of the wing.

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    I would also like to mention that the PCGS PR68 Ultra High Relief is being auctioned UNRESERVED.

Gregory J. Rohan
    President
    HERITAGE AUCTION GALLERIES
    3500 Maple Avenue, 17th floor
    Dallas, Texas 75219-3941
    Phone: 214-528-3500 / 800-872-6467/ Private fax: 214-528-2596
    Email to: Greg@HA.com
    Greg Rohan
    President
    HERITAGE AUCTIONS
    3500 Maple Avenue
    Dallas, Texas 75219-3941
    Phone: 214-528-3500 / Private fax: 214-409-1596
    Email to: Greg@HA.com
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow -- that is fantastic! Does Heritage have a guesstimated range of what it might sell for?

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awsome information, I keep a virtual collection of the best coins images I see from this forum, I added that information to the properties page for the 1907 UHR double eagle image so as to keep it associated for ever, or until my drive crashes.

<< <i>I did not know this about the annealing process for the Ultra High Relief Double Eagles. Here is some information from an email from Heritage. It is interesting that the end result is a layer of pure gold on the coins. Does anyone know whether that was a goal of the annealing process, or was it merely the result because the coin had to be annealed between each striking? *************** This Ultra High Relief double eagle was struck seven times on a medal press in order to fully bring up every detail in the dies. It was annealed between strikings, heating the coin to a cherry-red color and then cooling it in a weak solution of nitric acid. This annealing process gave Ultra High Reliefs an even more distinctive appearance, as the result was a bright surface of nearly pure gold with no variation in appearance between the fields and devices. The 'finish' of the Ultra High Relief transcends terms such as "satiny" or "frosted" - it is simply pure, glittering gold. Charles Barber, Chief Engraver of the Mint, certainly objected to the interference of outsiders such as Saint-Gaudens, but the lengthy, exacting production process for these Ultra High Relief coins made them impractical for commercial purposes. That the spirit of Saint-Gaudens' des ign survived the evolution of the double eagle through the 'regular' High Reliefs and thence to lower relief coins was to the artistic benefit of the nation. The surfaces of the incredible coin we are privileged to offer are bright orange-gold. As mentioned above, this finish is the product of repeated annealings, which resulted in the eventual elimination of all copper from the alloy and a thin layer of pure gold over both obverse and reverse. The striking details are nothing short of extraordinary also with an even more pronounced, dished, three-dimensional effect than seen on a regular High Relief. After several minutes of examining this piece with a strong magnifier we finally were able to locate one surface flaw that might be used as a pedigree identifier for this important coin: There is a short, diagonal luster graze on the reverse between the eagle's head and the forward curve of the wing. >>

• Options
    <<I would also like to mention that the PCGS PR68 Ultra High Relief is being auctioned UNRESERVED.>>

Like it needs one anyway...

The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<I would also like to mention that the PCGS PR68 Ultra High Relief is being auctioned UNRESERVED.>>

Like it needs one anyway... >>

Yeah....because Lloyd is going to buy it to match the one he took from the Smithsonian...image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Come on Jay, that coin is pocket change for you! I'm expecting to see it in your collection!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know whether that was a goal of the annealing process, or was it merely the result because the coin had to be annealed between each striking? >>

The latter.

As an artist who works in metal on occasion, I do have some insight into this process:

Picture a coat hanger wire - try bending it in one spot - what happens? The metal gets brittle and eventully snaps. It does not snap because it the bending made it softer, on the contrary, it made it harder. The way it was explained to me, is that what is happneing on a molecular level, is that the arragement of the atoms within the wire are getting compressed with the bending, and in turn the bonds between them loose some pliability. However, if you bend the wire once, and then heat the metal, it reorientates the atoms on the wire, thus allowing you to bend the wire some more without having it break.

I had not heard that the annealing process eliminates copper from the surface of a gold coin alloy. I know my experience in working with sterling is quite the opposite - sometimes the copper collects in purple-colored fields. This is called fire scale, and it is considered very undesirable. In any case, it is also a phenominum that is hard to control with any consistancy, and so I do not believe that this effect would have been taken into account by Mint when they created the high relief Saints. Besides, in my understanding, I think they had their hands full just trying to get the things to strike up fully.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Artist-- very interesting post.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    If they remove the coin from the dies for annealing, how do they put it back in the EXACT same position to avoid doubling with the restrikes?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If they remove the coin from the dies for annealing, how do they put it back in the EXACT same position to avoid doubling with the restrikes? >>

Since the coin is in relief and the die has an exact incuse image of the coin, the coin is self alligning within the die.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    After the EHR planchets were heated they were quenched in a weak nitric acid solution to remove oxidized copper. Although the HR $20 were treated the same way, they only got 3 strikes and that was insufficient to noticeably deplete surface copper. The Smithsonian had tests run a few years ago and confirmed the "nearly pure gold" surfaces of EHR $20. (See "Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908" for details and more information.)

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would also like to mention that the PCGS PR68 Ultra High Relief is being auctioned UNRESERVED. >>

No reserve, huh? OK, I'll bid. And if nobody else bids, I might even win image...
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RWB spoke about this at length at the ANA this year.....fascinating stuff.......these coins were REALLY hard to make.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Consider that Charles Barber owned 8 of them in 1916, plus the HR Liberty head $20....he and S-G may not have agreed on much, but Barber knew quality.
  • Options
    Very informative. Thank you Artist for your added insight. How many of us would have the guts to sell an Ultra HR unreserved? Does anyone know the pedigree on this particular piece? There can't be that many that have sold over the past ten years or so.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know whether that was a goal of the annealing process, or was it merely the result because the coin had to be annealed between each striking? >>

The latter.

As an artist who works in metal on occasion, I do have some insight into this process:

Picture a coat hanger wire - try bending it in one spot - what happens? The metal gets brittle and eventully snaps. It does not snap because it the bending made it softer, on the contrary, it made it harder. The way it was explained to me, is that what is happneing on a molecular level, is that the arragement of the atoms within the wire are getting compressed with the bending, and in turn the bonds between them loose some pliability. However, if you bend the wire once, and then heat the metal, it reorientates the atoms on the wire, thus allowing you to bend the wire some more without having it break.

I had not heard that the annealing process eliminates copper from the surface of a gold coin alloy. I know my experience in working with sterling is quite the opposite - sometimes the copper collects in purple-colored fields. This is called fire scale, and it is considered very undesirable. In any case, it is also a phenominum that is hard to control with any consistancy, and so I do not believe that this effect would have been taken into account by Mint when they created the high relief Saints. Besides, in my understanding, I think they had their hands full just trying to get the things to strike up fully. >>

I am sure that it was the nitric acid that was removing the copper from the surface, not the heat.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CaptHenway is correct. Nitric acid attacks copper and is used to test gold ("the acid test").

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file