Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Average IQ of Coin Dealers - What Do You Think? Poll

What do you think the average IQ of a coin dealer roughly is?

I would assume that experienced catalogers and researchers would have a more meticulous nature and therefore have slightly higher IQ's.

Also, do you believe that the higher the IQ the more successful the coin dealer?

Who are the smartest guys/gals in the business?

Please state your thoughts.

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what's the average IQ of Jane & John Doe? That's likely where coin dealers are too...no different from the average American insofar as IQ is concerned. Intelligence is not directly proportional to success at any occupation -- it can contribute, but it also can be detrimental to success if not properly employed.
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    What Barndog said.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're a very sharp bunch. Collectors tend to be pretty sharp as well.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine, considering the small profit margins in coin dealing that if you were too much of a dolt you wouldn't be a coin dealer very long.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Has anyone taken the Mensa IQ test? I did about 2 years ago. They used to have a version online but I don't think it's there anymore.

Here is a comparison of IQ's with cooresponding common possessors.

85 - 114 Average Pupils at junior high school
    115 - 124 Above average Pupils at senior high school
    125 - 134 Gifted University graduates
    135 - 144 Highly gifted Intellectuals
    145 - 154 Genius Professors
    155 - 164 Genius Nobel Prize Winners
    165 - 179 High genius
    180 - 200 Highest genius
    >200 "Unmeasurable" genius

Famous Geniuses:

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Germany Poet/Writer. Universal genius.** 210 179
    Emanuel Swedenborg Sweden Religious writer. Universal genius. 205 176
    Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz Germany Philosopher/Mathematician, etc. The greatest universal genius together with Leonardo da Vinci.** 205 176
    John Stuart Mill England Philosopher/Economist/Political theorist 200 174
    Blaise Pascal France Mathematician/Physicist/Religious thinker 195 171
    Ludwig Wittgenstein Austria Philosopher - 190
    Bobby Fischer U.S.A. Chess player 187 167
    Galileo Galilei Italy Physicist/Astronomer/Philosopher 185 165
    René Descartes France Philosopher/Mathematician 180 162
    Madame De Stael France Woman of letters/Novelist/Political Philosopher 180 162
    Immanuel Kant Germany Philosopher 175 159
    Linus Carl Pauling U.S.A. Chemist - Double Nobel Prize Winner 170 156
    Sofia Kovalevskaya Russia/Sweden Mathematician/Writer 170 156
    Thomas Chatterton England Poet/Writer 170 156
    Charles Darwin England Naturalist 165 153
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Austria Composer 165 153
    George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans) England Writer - Close friend to J.S. Mill. 160 150
    Nicolaus Copernicus Poland Cleric/Astronomer 160 150
    Olof Palme Sweden Prime Minister (Murdered) - 156
    Rembrandt van Rijn Holland Painter/Etcher 155 146
    Anna Lindh Sweden Foreign Minister (Murdered) 152 145
    George Sand (Aurore Dupin) France Writer 150 143

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Famous Geniuses:

Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz Germany Philosopher/Mathematician, etc. The greatest universal genius together with Leonardo da Vinci.** 205 176
    George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans) England Writer - Close friend to J.S. Mill. 160 150

Please point out the coin dealers on this list...
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Looks like we have a bell curve from collector votes and, so far, 3 dealers have voted.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took this one.

IQ Test

I scored in the 130's.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I took this one. >>

Test: "Tickles" ??? image
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone taken the Mensa IQ test? I did about 2 years ago. They used to have a version online but I don't think it's there anymore.

Here is a comparison of IQ's with cooresponding common possessors.

85 - 114 Average Pupils at junior high school
    115 - 124 Above average Pupils at senior high school
    125 - 134 Gifted University graduates
    135 - 144 Highly gifted Intellectuals
    145 - 154 Genius Professors
    155 - 164 Genius Nobel Prize Winners
    165 - 179 High genius
    180 - 200 Highest genius
    >200 "Unmeasurable" genius

Famous Geniuses:

George Sand (Aurore Dupin) France Writer 150 143 >>

Sir Isaac Newton and Imahotep may be the two most intelligent men to have ever lived. There
    are three or four others who deserve mention though. Certainly Da Vinci is one of them.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I always take the MENSA quiz in the in-flight magazine when I fly American Airlines, but I often have to cheat and check the answers in order to get them all.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Famous Geniuses:.........Please point out the coin dealers on this list... >>

To be fair, coin dealers are hardly famous in the same way. There are certainly many geniuses (genii?) who are numismatists, most being more preoccupied with other things tan to make dealing in coins their life's focus. One thing to note of many high profile geniuses is that they tend to engage several disciplines (often disjoint ones) rather passionately.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Anyone ever taken an IQ test? I scored a 127, took a different one scored a 119 image then took one last year and scored a 134. Each time I took it, I thought I did lousy lol.
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I think most dealers are above average intelligence, but IQ alone is not enough to succeed in the coin business or any business. It takes drive, motivation, and lots & lots of hard work. A lazy genius will not succeed, but a hard working person of average or above average IQ will.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    Below 70 - Very Low. Think Forrest Gump

It's not unusual for someone "like" Forrest Gump to have a very high IQ. You should learn more about "intelligence" before you start posting about it. Although, I do understand your goal of posting another Dealer reach-around thread...
  • Options

<< <i>Famous Geniuses:

Please point out the coin dealers on this list... >>

Well I know Bobby Fischer collects Gold Coins.Fischer's dispute with Swiss bank
  • Options

<< <i>What do you think the average IQ of a coin dealer roughly is?

I would assume that experienced catalogers and researchers would have a more meticulous nature and therefore have slightly higher IQ's.

Also, do you believe that the higher the IQ the more successful the coin dealer?

Who are the smartest guys/gals in the business?

Please state your thoughts. >>

I sent you a pm unrelated to this topic.
    I don't think IQ is all that well correlated with success in any business. When I go somewhere where rich people congregate the common thread is the people look good and are very affable. Geniuses often don't relate well to average people and they can be ugly too.
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    I don't think they are any different than any other professional, whether it be doctor, lawyer, or indian chief. I work with IVY league graduates, authors, as well as High School dropouts. All have various levels of intellect, whether they are the former or latter. I do not believe coin dealers are any different. I think a good mixture of street and book smarts make the best dealers, however image

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    Richard Nixons` estimated IQ is 147 for the benefit of the more anti-dealer members. image
  • Options
    IQ merely measures your problem solving ability. Autistic savants have a great IQ, but other than that, they are still severly disabled.

Autistic (formerly idiot) savant

Blaise pascal is the genius who invented roulette!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options

<< <i>Below 70 - Very Low. Think Forrest Gump

It's not unusual for someone "like" Forrest Gump to have a very high IQ. You should learn more about "intelligence" before you start posting about it. Although, I do understand your goal of posting another Dealer reach-around thread... >>

Boy, you've really got it out for me today. What is your problem? I know plenty about IQ. The "Think Forrest Gump" notation was in reference to his score of the test he took during the movie which was reviewed by his mother during the movie and you can see where he scored on the test.

Yes, I post positive threads about dealers to counterbalance snobby posts like yours.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see Jessica Simpson on the IQ list for some reason. imageimageimage

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IQ as a measure of future success is an age old dilemma. As others have pointed out, IQ doesn't measure drive, ambition, or common sense. Bear in mind, IQ is only loosely correlated with success in educational achievement. Bill Gates dropped out of college (granted...it was Harvard) and I personally know of several verry successful businessmen that never finished high school. There's also fault in the test itself. I can fluctuate as much as 20 points given the day or the test I take and how the test is scored (ie...Certain questions being weighted over others). Lastly, how does success in other business endeavors translate into success in the coin market? If you're successful selling real estate (or selling crack for that matter), might you also have been successful in the coin biz?

L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I would expect coin dealers to fall across the gamut of IQs, but on average would expect it to be higher than the rest of the population given the job is rather detail oriented which has some correlation to problem solving and therefore IQ. However, given the interpersonal and communications skills (or lack thereof) evidenced by the majority of dealers I've run into, I would surmise to say that the average IQ is only slightly above that of the common man...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>IQ as a measure of future success is an age old dilemma. As others have pointed out, IQ doesn't measure drive, ambition, or common sense. Bear in mind, IQ is only loosely correlated with success in educational achievement. Bill Gates dropped out of college (granted...it was Harvard) and I personally know of several verry successful businessmen that never finished high school. There's also fault in the test itself. I can fluctuate as much as 20 points given the day or the test I take and how the test is scored (ie...Certain questions being weighted over others). Lastly, how does success in other business endeavors translate into success in the coin market? If you're successful selling real estate (or selling crack for that matter), might you also have been successful in the coin biz?

L >>

The problem is that in order to measure intelligence you'd have to define it. Then you'd have
    to devise proper questions that are more likely to be correctly answered by the sharper individ-
    uals who take the test than others. Then you have to weight the various characteristics of in-
    telligence to reflect some sort of standard. Error will be introduced at each point. The greatest
    error perhaps is in assuming that even if the most important few dozen attributes of intelligence
    can be measured that it will have any real life meaning. Achilles was felled by a weakness he
    mistook as a strenght and by the same token an individual with significant shortcomings in some
    or most areas can learn to work around them. A genius might walk in front of a bus. Perhaps he
    had believed that observation was one of his strenghts.

There are a lot of parallels to grading coins in measuring intelligence. But where most of the char-
    acteristics of coins can be quantified it is much more difficult with intelligence. More importantly is
    the difficulty in defining all the aspects of intelligence.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I don't really trust IQ tests. I think they can measure SOME aspects of intelligence, but not all. Thus there are undoubtedly very bright people who have uninspiring IQ scores, and probably some clueless people with very high IQs.

Besides, since I usually score in the 140s on them, I don't trust them. I ain't that bright. image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Above 140 - Far Superior. Think Einstein
    9 (votes) 10.11 (%) >>

I see that nine dealers have weighed in so far.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Ziggy on this one. My most recent IQ score was 157 - that would put me in the genius category, and I hardly think of myself as a genius.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I am just smart enough to know that I am not smart.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am just smart enough to know that I am not smart. >>

"I am so smart....I am so smart....S-M-R-T....I mean S-M-A-R-T..." -- Homer Simpson
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it pays to just have some good old common "cents" image

• Options
    I have a brother with an IQ that consistently tested above 160. He's a total fruitcake who's been sponging off the system all his life. One of the most pathetic losers I've ever known.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    intelligence doesn't have as much to do with it as "Street Smarts".
  • Options

<< <i>I have a brother with an IQ that consistently tested above 160. He's a total fruitcake who's been sponging off the system all his life. One of the most pathetic losers I've ever known.

Russ, NCNE >>

Yeah, IQ isn't everything.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took a test some time ago that said I'm 127. Funny thing is I was, let's say heavily chemically altered at the time. I question the results and methods of these things.
  • Options

<< <i>I took a test some time ago that said I'm 127. Funny thing is I was, let's say heavily chemically altered at the time. I question the results and methods of these things. >>

Maybe you are just lucky. image
  • Options

<< <i>intelligence doesn't have as much to do with it as "Street Smarts". >>

I`ve known a few theives that done it " professionally " for years. Slick as heck that can get through locks with ease. They where like kiddie toys to them. Complete scum in my eyes but, stunned at how easy it was for them and not care. It`s living for them.

I was talking to my sister last year that most IQ tests test only 3 or 4 catagories/clusters. Psychologists have defined 9 catagories/clusters and 3 or 4 are only tested. The only ones I remember are these:

1) Spacial
    2) Mathamatical
    3) Athletic
    4) Social
    5) Language
    6) Artistic

There are 3 more that I can`t remember now. Nosing around the internet I`m sure one can find the other 3.

Like with Michael Jordan may not be the " smartest " guy around but, athletically superior to 99% of people out there. Made a good living at it too. So, as others eluded to, it depends on your criteria.
  • Options

<< <i>1) Spacial
    2) Mathamatical
    3) Athletic
    4) Social
    5) Language
    6) Artistic

There are 3 more that I can`t remember now. >>

Is one of them spelling?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Also, do you believe that the higher the IQ the more successful the coin dealer? >>

No. I think IQ and the tests that measure it are highly over-rated and tell only a small portion of the story of a persons intellect. They all seem to mostly measure how well a person handles abstract thinking and pattern recognition and don't seem to measure creativity well. I believe they're almost useless as a predictor of future success/failure.

I've taken a few of these tests and have scored anywhere from 134 to 148. When you get familiar with what they're looking for on these tests, they become almost easy.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1) Spacial
    2) Mathamatical
    3) Athletic
    4) Social
    5) Language
    6) Artistic

There are 3 more that I can`t remember now. >>

Is one of them spelling?

Russ, NCNE >>

Is another pointing out the faults/mistakes of others in order to be witty? image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

One dealer with a known IQ of 57 tried selling me common wheat cents at $5 apiece; and I purchased several!! image
    Enjoy each day as though it was your last.
  • Options
    I would think an average IQ would do, but a good memory is a must.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    A high IQ is meaningless, without the ability to absorb

and utilize knowledge. Otherwise, it remained an unforfilled

potential, worth nothing, achieving nothing and as a benefit

to society.....nothing.

My IQ is 27. However, that is very good for a bear.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Is another pointing out the faults/mistakes of others in order to be witty

I guess you will be an idiot now
  • Options
    Collecting Kennedys is a negative 20 points on IQ I hear. imageimage
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    What do you think the average IQ of a coin dealer roughly is?

About the same as the average man on the street.

I'm more interested in a coin dealer's aptitude for acquiring great coins than I am in his IQ.
    I've met very intelligent people in this hobby who have no knack for acquiring great coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file