Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Graded Perth mint lunar coins?

Are there any?

Just out of curiosity I searched on eBay and other online sites and couldn't find any. Just wondering.....

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's not on eBay, it doesn't exist.
  • Options

<< <i>If it's not on eBay, it doesn't exist. >>

That's what I thought, but I've been wrong before. Granted, it was when I thought I was wrong, but still... Just wanted to make sure. image
  • Options
    There are a few graded at NGC. I have purchased a complete set one at a time on eBay, but they are hard to find. For example, it took me 6 months to find a 2006 (dog) and then it was holdered wrong (with the queen on the front instead of the dog).

They are out there, but apparently not very popular.
  • Options

<< <i>There are a few graded at NGC. I have purchased a complete set one at a time on eBay, but they are hard to find. For example, it took me 6 months to find a 2006 (dog) and then it was holdered wrong (with the queen on the front instead of the dog).

They are out there, but apparently not very popular. >>

You think someone at NGC was trying to make a statement? image

I knew there had to be some graded ones out there somewhere. I'm not actively looking for the graded ones, I just sorta noticed while trying to find the 2000 Dragon coins (having been born the year of the dragon). I don't know if it's even worth submitting them to PCGS/NGC for grading. I like just fine the way they are.
  • Options
    I saw around 7 or 8 gold lunars in PCGS holders at a show in the Dallas area this past summer. The ones graded MS69 sold very quickly for reportably around $100 over the same year raw. I do remember that a few had copper spots and were still given a 69 grade.

I did ask why anyone would bother to have them graded and was informed that it was primarily for protection because collectors/viewers were tempted to take them out of their capsules which often resulted in the coins being scratched because they are so soft. Could it be why some people also have gold Pandas graded?
  • Options

<< <i>I saw around 7 or 8 gold lunars in PCGS holders at a show in the Dallas area this past summer. The ones graded MS69 sold very quickly for reportably around $100 over the same year raw. I do remember that a few had copper spots and were still given a 69 grade. >>

Wow! I've seen this with NGC but didn't expect it with PCGS.... Different standards perhaps?

<< <i>Could it be why some people also have gold Pandas graded? >>

I buy graded (NGC/PCGS) pandas primarily because I'm concerned with the number of fakes out there. I've read about fake pandas too many times and in too many places, I'm cautious. Whether the reports are true or not is immaterial, better safe than sorry.