Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shipping to Canada

I need to send 1 graded card to Canada ( Bc ). Can a bubble mailer go via airmail letter post? Its only coming up as $1.15. It seems to me it should cost more.
I dont sell much, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks
matt

Comments

• Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Sounds about right to me
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Matt, I use a photo mailer, PSA card wrapped in cardboard, and it comes to $1.35 airmail, letter post. Take the time to fill out the small green customs slip, it will move your item along faster. Most Canucks want you to mark "gift" on the form and a value of under $10, so they don't get hit with import fees. I always do it and it has never been a problem. Good luck, STEVE.

Edited to add: all addresses should be in CAPITAL letters. I usually cut and paste the address, go to "word" and change the font to "copperplate gothic bold" it will make all letters CAPITALS without any effort, I change the font size to 22 or 24, print and tape the address on the package, clear sailing and very legible. Just make sure that "CANADA" is the last line of the address.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I ship to Canada relatively frequently and the $1.15 quoted is seems reasonable. As mentioned above, be certain to fill out the green customs slip or you may experience some problems. Canucks have to be a duty tax on any commercial item valued at $40 or more. If the item is worth less than that then by all means be honest and check the commercial box. If the card is worth more then you may be able to stretch it by listing the raw value or low book value. No use risking getting nailed with mail fraud even if the chances of getting caught are slim. Based on reports, some of my packages to Canada have been opened and checked by customs officials.
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options
    The card sold for $38.88. Thanks for the advice guys.

Even if it sold for more I wouldnt lie to save myself a buck, so I surely wouldnt do it for someone else. Its not worth it image

matt
  • Options

<< <i>I need to send 1 graded card to Canada ( Bc ). Can a bubble mailer go via airmail letter post? Its only coming up as $1.15. It seems to me it should cost more.
    I dont sell much, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks
    matt >>

Matt, that's $1.15 Canadian. $12 US to you. Sorry to break the bad news.

Arthur

Edited to add: Emmitt Smith
  • Options

<< <i>Edited to add: Emmitt Smith >>

• Options
    Edited: Monday October 30, 2006 at 2:50 PM by XanaduNow

Matt's post: Monday October 30, 2006 2:52 PM

F'in classic man!

Arthur
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    The postage sounds about right to me...it's actually cheaper to send stuff to Canada than the US under 4 lbs. For packages under 1 lb no customs form is required, but you might want to stick the green one on there just in case.

I had a run-in with Canada customs earlier this month trying to bring cards INTO Canada from the US.

My suggestions, put "Photos-Do Not Bend" on the package and don't bother with the customs form and you should be fine. I send low value stuff like this often and they seem to arrive in 4-5 days or less.

By the way, I was told that trading cards are NOT subject to duty taxes according to a Canadian customer of mine. So if you declare, be sure to put "Trading Cards" as the contents.
  • Options
    Assuming they are made in the US or Canada, trading cards are not be subject to duties, but may be subject to federal or provincial sales taxes, no matter their value. "Gifts" under $50 are free to import. Oh, and if you mark the green tag as a Gift, don't include a receipt in the package. This sounds dumb, but you'd be surprised.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    A heads-up! When shipping graded cards to Canada. I write on the green customs slip, "Photo Cards in Plastic Holders". I'll put a value of $10 (as long as the item(s) are not too valuable!)...

I just keep the "declared value" as low as possile, to help out our fellow collector friends to the north! image

rd

P.S. On higher end material, i would sugest discussing it with your Canadian buyer. High end buyers from Canada will suggest how they like the custom forms to read. I'll always try to be helpful and accommodating as I can, to these buyers!

edit: So Claude, "that Bernie Federko OPC Rookie PSA 10 was only worth $40"???image Anyway, PSA pricing values, as we all know so well, can be "all over the map"!!!
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Matt,

Great timing for the thread. I just sold a $10 card to a guy in Winnipeg, and I felt like a crook charging him $6 for shipping. I thought I had to send it Global Priority Mail. If the info on this thread checks out, (as it no doubt will) I can return a couple of bucks to this Canadian collector.

Thanks, all - Jim
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Matt,

Great timing for the thread. I just sold a $10 card to a guy in Winnipeg, and I felt like a crook charging him $6 for shipping. I thought I had to send it Global Priority Mail. If the info on this thread checks out, (as it no doubt will) I can return a couple of bucks to this Canadian collector.

Thanks, all - Jim >>

I am happy everyone helped you as they did me image

matt
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Because I do not like to tell people "no," I have learned
    the following about mailing collectibles to Canada:

1. The only PayPal (SPP) acceptable USPS method is
    Global Express. Minimum cost just under $18.00,
    includes $100 insurance. Extra insurance can be
    purchased at prevailing rates.

2. The pitch at all of my POs is that all packages to
    Canada need either the green or white customs
    forms.

3. The US sender does not incur any USA "fraud" liability
    for understating values on foreign customs forms.
    The addressee is liable for applicable duties regardless
    of what the forms state.

4. Many packages are opened by Canadian Customs folks.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.