Home Sports Talk

Jeter cops the Hank Aaron award

WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
Best hitter in the American league as voted by his peers.

Howard wins in the NL.

Jeter should be picking up the MVP trophy around Thanksgiving.

Steve
Good for you.

Comments

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Jeter should be picking up the MVP trophy around Thanksgiving.

Steve >>

hahahahahahahahaha

and if he does it will be a travesty to the history of the award.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hahahahahahahahaha

and if he does it will be a travesty to the history of the award.

What a dopey response. Your hatred for NY shines right through!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>
    What a dopey response. Your hatred for NY shines right through! >>

No hatred, but to call jeter the 'mvp' is a joke.

Take him off the yanks this year and they still roll to the playoffs, probably with a better record as Arod would be playing his natural position at short.

• ^^
    Surrrrre. When Matsui and Sheffield were out, Arod was leading all thirdbaseman in the MLB in errors while going through a season long slump at the plate. Jeter stepped up and led the team. Arod didn't show up until the division was decided and the Yankees were up from the great overall play with superb performances from Cano and Jeter.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Actually, this "award" is not given by "his peers" alone -

<< <i>Beginning in 2003, fans were given the opportunity to vote through the MLB.com website. Fan voting accounted for 30% of the points, with broadcaster and analyst voting accounting for the other 70%. >>

That should explain that.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, this "award" is not given by "his peers" alone -

<< <i>Beginning in 2003, fans were given the opportunity to vote through the MLB.com website. Fan voting accounted for 30% of the points, with broadcaster and analyst voting accounting for the other 70%. >>

That should explain that. >>

Waaaa Waaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

haha

yankee 'fans' have resorted to mindless bawling when their hero's abilities are called into question.

Good show!
    haha

yankee 'fans' have resorted to mindless bawling when their hero's abilities are called into question.

Good show!

No different from you posting your inane and idiotic observations like a trained seal morning, noon & night, hypocrite! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i> haha

Good show!

No different from you posting your inane and idiotic observations like a trained seal morning, noon & night, hypocrite! image >>

I thought you were a mets fan? Or are you so delusional you don't know which team's bandwagon you're riding anymore?

Moron.
    Actually, this "award" is even less significant than I first thought. Apparently, all the votes were cast by fans on MLB.com -

<< <i>Ryan Howard of the Phillies and Derek Jeter of the Yankees were honored with the Hank Aaron Award presented by CENTURY 21 in a ceremony before Wednesday's Game 4 of the World Series at Busch Stadium, the result of more than a quarter-million votes cast by fans at MLB.com >>

Thus making this a fairly pointless exercise.
    How dare you disgrace the mighty jeter with that kind of talk!

<< <i>Actually, this "award" is even less significant than I first thought. Apparently, all the votes were cast by fans on MLB.com -

<< <i>Ryan Howard of the Phillies and Derek Jeter of the Yankees were honored with the Hank Aaron Award presented by CENTURY 21 in a ceremony before Wednesday's Game 4 of the World Series at Busch Stadium, the result of more than a quarter-million votes cast by fans at MLB.com >>

Thus making this a fairly pointless exercise. >>

good point Jer! Anyway, man, how much are you guys gonna cry when he wins the MVP? THAT will not sit well in the haters eyes. Ah well, I will be hear to dab your eyes dry with a nice soft cloth image sniff sniff

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Actually, this "award" is even less significant than I first thought. Apparently, all the votes were cast by fans on MLB.com -

WRONG

30% is by the fans, the rest by the broadcasters. You know the guys that have the job of seeing the games? The paper reported that the players did the voting and i simply was relaying that info. You know like how you guys do when it suits your purpose?

of course it is now less significant Jer, jeter wins it and it becomes a dud. right?

Around Thanksgiving he will be picking up the MVP and then we can really see (hear) you guys whine.

Beginning in 2003, fans were given the opportunity to vote through the MLB.com website. Fan voting accounted for 30% of the points, with broadcaster and analyst voting accounting for the other 70%.
    Good for you.
  • ive got no problem with either winner. and Jeter certainly deserves the MVP. So does Howard.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An award just for hitting should have gone to Ortiz. I guess 54 hr and 137 RBI was not enough, or the award was solely based on batting average.

• its too bad the sox didnt make the playoffs...im certain Ortiz would have won the MVP this year (he totally deserved it last year over Afraud)

<< <i>30% is by the fans, the rest by the broadcasters. You know the guys that have the job of seeing the games? The paper reported that the players did the voting and i simply was relaying that info. You know like how you guys do when it suits your purpose? >>

Actually, no. I thought the same thing (and, if you look at my earlier post, you'll see that) at first, but apparently this "award" is now something that anybody with a pulse can vote on (probably as many times as they want) on MLB.com. All the votes are cast that way, which makes it kind of a joke.

Kind of like Ortiz hitting 54 HR's, 137 RBI's, while Jeter hit an astounding 14 HR's and a breathtaking 97 RBI's. Funny, right?
    And the broadcasters are watching EVERY game?

And since when did broadcasters have an idea about being skill?

Get real wp, your boy jeter doesn't deserve the mvp.

I wonder, though, if wp is such a mets fan, why does he care so much what happens in yankee land if he's not a bandwagon jumper?
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder, though, if wp is such a mets fan, why does he care so much what happens in yankee land if he's not a bandwagon jumper? >>

No, the question is why do YOU care so much about the Yankees?

I understand Red Sox fans but not a recent Ms bandwagoner.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>
    No, the question is why do YOU care so much about the Yankees?
    >>

And why do YOU care so much about what I post, hypocrite? I care about about baseball, unlike you who only 'roots' for his 'team' when they sniff the playoffs.

<< <i>I understand Red Sox fans but not a recent Ms bandwagoner. >>

This coming from a guy who doesn't stick with his teams? hahahahahahaha

The Oilers move away and what do you do? Shack up with the new team...must suck to have NO loyalties!

<< <i>And why do YOU care so much about what I post, hypocrite? I care about about baseball, unlike you who only 'roots' for his 'team' when they sniff the playoffs. >>

Huh? Do you even think before you respond? The Yankees are not in the World Series nor did they have the best record. That's all that matters in the end.. Caring about baseball has absolutely, positively nothing to do with your hate of New York sports as a whole.

And I only root for my team when they sniff the playoffs? Yeah, okay.. You sure got me there... Since I created a Texan thread, does that mean they are sniffing the playoffs?

Dope.

<< <i>This coming from a guy who doesn't stick with his teams? hahahahahahaha

The Oilers move away and what do you do? Shack up with the new team...must suck to have NO loyalties! >>

If there ever is a day that you have a real home team and not a bandwagon one, come talk to me. Until then, you really don't know what you are talking about.

Seriously.

You recently started to cheer for a team on the other side of the country.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>
    Kind of like Ortiz hitting 54 HR's, 137 RBI's, while Jeter hit an astounding 14 HR's and a breathtaking 97 RBI's. Funny, right? >>

I dunno Jerry. Why don't you ask Hank Aaron? He happens to like Derek Jeter alot. Of course you wouldn't dare research that part. It would make you cry.

Anyway, you do have a point as far as this award being a HITTERS award. Ortiz does have the flashy stats that the modern power hitter reaches so easily anymore. Guys like Jeter ... the true all around baseball player get.... get ripped on by "fans" so enamored with power stats. Truth is, the big fat pappi will be long gone from baseball before Jeter ever is. Just be thankfull the fat ba$tard does not have to play the field. He will succumb soon enough to a early fat retirement just like Mo Vaughn. image

<< <i>
    Huh? Do you even think before you respond? The Yankees are not in the World Series nor did they have the best record. That's all that matters in the end.. Caring about baseball has absolutely, positively nothing to do with your hate of New York sports as a whole.
    >>

What are you TALKING about, moron? This post was about jeter winning some meaningless award, and how this was a precursor to his winning the MVP. I responded saying that it would be a joke for jeter to win the mvp.

<< <i>And I only root for my team when they sniff the playoffs? Yeah, okay.. You sure got me there... Since I created a Texan thread, does that mean they are sniffing the playoffs?

Where was this supposed love of the astros? Vaporized until there was a chance they'd be in the postseason. God you really are a bandwagoner.

<< <i>If there ever is a day that you have a real home team and not a bandwagon one, come talk to me. Until then, you really don't know what you are talking about. >>

Listen, moron, I am going to say this sloooooowly for you, as it's apparent you are so retarded, you don't understand anything. I have been a fan of both the Mariners and the Bucs long before their success. I know that you cannot possibly fathom that, but it's the truth. Now, get the f*** out of here, you mindless trolling idiot, and let the big boys talk sports.

<< <i>You recently started to cheer for a team on the other side of the country. >>

If you define recently as 15 years or so, then sure.

<< <i>image >>

Yes, you are. You are beyond stupid, it's funny. You are beyond dense, it's funny. You cannot be helped at this point, so why don't you go start mommy's car in the garage, close the door down, and do us all a favor and disappear?
    You cannot be helped at this point, so why don't you go start mommy's car in the garage, close the door down, and do us all a favor and disappear?

Wow, advocating suicide, yet another example of Axhole's total lack of class! Dirtbag.

<< <i>You cannot be helped at this point, so why don't you go start mommy's car in the garage, close the door down, and do us all a favor and disappear?

Wow, advocating suicide, yet another example of Axhole's total lack of class! Dirtbag. >>

grote-

aren't you a mets fan? Why are you here?
    grote-

aren't you a mets fan? Why are you here?

Aren't YOU a Mariners fan?? Why are you here? Wait, I know, you can't resist making an absolute fool out of yourself, and on top that, you encourage another poster to commit suicide. Wow, what a classy guy you are!

Tinkerbell gets so frustrated that she can't quote properly image

Sure you have been a bandwagon fan for 15 years with teams across the country.

As I said, if/when you ever have a real home team, then you can talk.

Until then it's just..

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    With all due respect, which is it?

In one post, he was voted by his peers, in the next it's 30% by the fans and the rest by broadcasters (hardly his peers). Make up your mind.

Either way, doesn't matter. It's a BS award, and the MVP is not far off. I realized that when I read that Ted Williams won the triple crown one year and was the last to hit .400 another year............and he didn't win MVP EITHER YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!! He lost to a Yankee, with obviously inferior stats. So it's really a media joke.

Jeter had a great year, no need to really bash it if he wins the MVP. But come on.........

shawn

<< <i>Guys like Jeter ... the true all around baseball player get.... get ripped on by "fans" so enamored with power stats. >>

This "award" is a hitters award, based on hitting stats alone, plain and simple. It's an award like this that was designed for a guy like Ortiz, DH or not. Jeter didn't actually lead the league in anything except perfume sales.

As far as his MVP goes, it's just more BS. The thinking apparently is that Derek deserves the 2006 MVP as some ridiculous lifetime achievement award. As if his WS rings and undeserved Gold Gloves aren't enough. But, this season, the Jeter lemmings say, he had to "carry" a team through the "adversity" of only six other All-Stars and MVPs in the lineup instead of eight. Give me a break. And his leadership? I think it’s pretty clear that Jeter left A-Rod hung out to dry and continues to do so. His behavior over the last season or two regarding A-Rod should pretty much unravel the overhyped captain myth.

I think it’s pretty clear that Jeter left A-Rod hung out to dry

Sorry, but a guy like Arod shouldn't need a cheerleader to produce. I'm no fan of the Yankees but it's hard to argue that Jeter wasn't the MVP this year, especially with that disappearing act Ortiz performed the last two months of the season. He sure got testy near the end of that, didn't he?

Don't hate...congratulate!

<< <i> I think it’s pretty clear that Jeter left A-Rod hung out to dry

Sorry, but a guy like Arod shouldn't need a cheerleader to produce. >>

Who ever said he did? And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing every team in baseball would love a guy who consistently hits .300, 35+ HRs, and drives in 125+ RBIs.

<< <i> I'm no fan of the Yankees >>

You could have fooled me!

<< <i> but it's hard to argue that Jeter wasn't the MVP this year, especially with that disappearing act Ortiz performed the last two months of the season. He sure got testy near the end of that, didn't he? >>

Ahh, typical ny selective amnesia. You have completely forgotten that (a) Ortiz missed playing time with a heart condition, (b) he produced when he came back, and (c) he didn't get testy, he simply said that a guy with jeter's anorexic numbers hasn't been an mvp candidate in the past (all of which are true). Now, perhaps you'll pull your head out of your ass, go back and re-read what he said, and look again at the numbers, and then you might have an inkling of an idea what the f*** you're talking about. Until then, keep your damn mouth shut, troll.

<< <i>Don't hate...congratulate! >>

Congratulate the most overhyped baseball player (as voted on by his peers?) Uhm, not gonna do it.

Congratulate the most overhyped baseball player

Arod? Yes, indeed!

<< <i>
    Congratulate the most overhyped baseball player

Arod? Yes, indeed! >>

Goddamn dude you need a life...what, have you been sitting here all night, furiously refreshing waiting for my reply, only to post within minutes of me?

Why don't you go and find a girlfriend...pay for her if you need to....you are absolutely PATHETIC.
    Goddamn dude you need a life...what, have you been sitting here all night, furiously refreshing waiting for my reply, only to post within minutes of me?

HAHA, this is from the guy with the 13K post count, the hypocrite himself, who posts morning, noon & night, nice laugh there, blowhard boy!

<< <i>Goddamn dude you need a life...what, have you been sitting here all night, furiously refreshing waiting for my reply, only to post within minutes of me?

HAHA, this is from the guy with the 13K post count, the hypocrite himself, who posts morning, noon & night, nice laugh there, blowhard boy! >>

hahahah

this coming from the guy who, within 5 minutes of my post, is here working himself up into a lather over my posts!

How's it feel, trollboy, to be called out for the pathetic loon you really are?
    Here's Axhole rearing up for his next asinine post to the great grote...

groteboy-

what's a trained deal?

hahaha too furiously working yourself up to type properly, assbag?
    And there he is, clown boy on cue....

C'mon do it again, it's so entertaining...

Go!

What's entertaining is you spoiling skin's going away post with your hate, your pettiness.

You are nothing but a troll.

Goodbye, troll.
    Awww, c'mon Axhole, don't get mad, you're so entertaining and all!

C'mon I'll toss you a Mariners cap! C'mon, pal!

Post! C'mon Axhole, you know you want to!

<< <i>
    As far as his MVP goes, it's just more BS. The thinking apparently is that Derek deserves the 2006 MVP as some ridiculous lifetime achievement award. As if his WS rings and undeserved Gold Gloves aren't enough. But, this season, the Jeter lemmings say, he had to "carry" a team through the "adversity" of only six other All-Stars and MVPs in the lineup instead of eight. Give me a break. And his leadership? I think it’s pretty clear that Jeter left A-Rod hung out to dry and continues to do so. His behavior over the last season or two regarding A-Rod should pretty much unravel the overhyped captain myth. >>

Like I said, the thought of it would make you cry.

Well, I might as well give you another reason to cry Jer. Derek Jeter is a Hall Of Famer. David Ortiz is not. He will need to pay to get into the Hall forever more...... as a baseball player, Derek Jeter slaps big fat pappi up and down. There is no contest. It is tough to even call Ortiz a ball player. Wicked stick and out of the league if he needed to play the field. Ballplayer ?????? NO Hence, forget the Hall of Fame image

All of a sudden it is a meaningless award?

Arod won it 3 times. was it meaningless then too?

how about manny? he has won it as has bonds.

I think some of you guys need to reavaluate what the sport means to you. It is a new award, granted, named after the most prolific homerun hitter of all time. meaningless? hardly.

Educate yourselves before you spout off meaningless posts.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>All of a sudden it is a meaningless award? >>

It's meaningless now - because it's a fan vote. It is supposed to signify the "best hitter" in each league, and let's face it - you can worship at the altar of Jeter (and we know a lot of you guys certainly do) but there is no way he was the "best hitter" this year, any way you slice it.

Would you like some proof of this? Here you are (not my article) -

If Only There Were a Way to Tell Who Had the Best Offensive Year Using Statistics. But There Clearly Is Not.
    So, let's just go ahead and give the Henry Aaron Award for the American League to Derek Jeter. Cool?

No? It isn't cool? Why not?

Exhibits 1-5 of what is like probably 1000 exhibits:

Runs Created, AL, 2006:

1. Ortiz 141.8
    2. Sizemore 134.1
    3. Jeter 128.2
    4. Hafner 124.4
    5. Thome 122.8

Not bad. So far, Jeter's a decent choice.

EqA, AL, 2006

1. Hafner .355
    2. Ramirez (Bos.) .342
    3. Ortiz .334
    4. Thome .328
    5. Giambi .326
    6. Mauer .321
    7. Dye .320
    8. Jeter .316

Okay…not the best choice anymore. Hafner seems like the best choice so far, maybe. Or Ortiz. But let’s keep going. Because I love Derek Jeter, and I really want to believe that he was the best offensive player in the league this year.

IsoP, AL, 2006

1. Hafner .350
    2. Ortiz .349
    3. Thome .310
    4. Dye .306
    5. Giambi .305
    Then there's a really long run of dudes who stink, like Kevin Millar and stuff, and then...
    50. Pierzynski .141
    51. Iguchi .141
    52. Jeter .140

Huh. Now I'm definitely iffy on Derek Jeter being the best offensive player in the AL this year. Let's keep going.

SecA, AL, 2006

(This takes into account Jeter's SB, remember)

1. Hafner .570
    2. Ortiz .565
    3. Giambi .556
    4. Thome, .529
    5. Ramirez (Bos.) .519
    (Then there's a long list of dudes, including Johnny Damon and Jorge Posada and Alex Rodriguez and, yes, Kevin Millar again, and then we get...)
    28. Millar .302
    29. Jeter .297

Ugh. This is looking more and more like Derek Jeter didn't deserve this award. Sorry I put in the thing about how Millar was in the long list of dudes who came before Jeter and then also wrote in Millar's place on the list right above Jeter, but I really wanted to hammer home the insane fact that Kevin Millar had a higher SecA than Derek Jeter in 2006.

Well, at least Jeter led the league in OPS. Check that -- he was 15th. Hafner was first.

No matter. I'm sure he was at the very least the best offensive player on his own team. Oops -- hang on. Giambi was way better in every single stat except BA and SB. And ARod was 13th in OPS. (Surprising -- I thought that guy sucked, based on what people who are professional sportswriters have told me.)

Well, okay, fine, whatever -- Jeter was definitely the very very best offensive SS in the AL. Except arguably Carlos Guillen, who had a higher OPS, more HR, more 2B, and more walks, in 80 fewer AB.

But look, everyone -- Jeter was second in VORP in the AL. So he's not a bad choice.

Of course, Hafner was first in VORP in the AL.

Travis Hafner is a better hitter than Derek Jeter. So are lots of other people. Jeter might deserve the MVP, because he put up his very very good stats from the SS position, which makes those stats very very valuable. But the Hank Aaron Award is not the MVP.

So there you have it, folks. Derek Jeter. Winner of the Hank Aaron Award for being the first-or-second-best-hitting SS in the AL, and probably like the third- or fourth-best hitter on his own team.

That's what we give the award out for, correct?
    VORP? Isop? what language are you talking here?

face it jeter was awarded the hank aaron award for being the best hitter in the league regardless of how it was voted.

sheesh stop crying.

Steve

edited to add: lol where in the world did you find those stats?

runs produced is about the only one that has any merit. IMO and Jeter was 3rd. I wonder where Howard was for that same stat.

methinks you are grasping for anything that would make jeter look bad. VORP? lol....value of runs produced?

I think you should watch a few games before you ever again post regarding Jeter.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    Goodness there is a lot of sourness towards Jeter. We are comparing a guy in the #2 slot compared to the guy in a #4 slot. Their jobs are different. Yet, is there anyone else in the league in the #2 slot that could put up the numbers Jeter did in 2007?

Yes, Jeter doesnt have the power numbers of Ortiz. But all things need to be considered where they bat and what their job is in that spot. Need a bit of an open mind to the gray because it isnt always so black and white.

Now...continue on with the whining about Jeter....
    I'd like to know what jeter did on thursdays, at home, in the 3rd innining with runners that were over 200lbs in scoring pos. then when that is answered I'd like to know what the red sox shortstop did in the same situation. You know the guy, Gonzalez, who had 99 hits all season and batted 255?

Steve

Good for you.

<< <i>Goodness there is a lot of sourness towards Jeter. .. >>

I don't think it is sourness. I don't want to say it is outright jealousy either. But somewhere in between image

I heard Jeter was front-runner for Manager Of The Year, a Cy Young Award, and a Grammy.

<< <i>I heard Jeter was front-runner for Manager Of The Year, a Cy Young Award, and a Grammy. >>

Don't forget the nobel peace prize.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I don't think it is sourness. I don't want to say it is outright jealousy either. But somewhere in between image >>

Geez Dan, it didn't take long for your point to be proven. image