Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should or would you like to see PCGS

use the star designation on coins with exceptional eye appeal?

Comments

• Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    No.

Edited to elaborate- The NGC star designation is used to distinguish coins that are supposed to be 'cooler' than all the others. In that way, I think it influences potential buyers of the coin and removes a bit of the subjectivity. The buyer then assumes that this star coin is indeed 'cooler' that non-star coins. And the star creates a premium, whether the coin is truly better or not. A buyer should determine for himself (or herself) whether a coin is exceptional, not let a company's opinion put one coin over another comparable example.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    No, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like a well-struck coin, whereas someone else might like one with blazing luster.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Yes, absolutely.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No,

Let the buyer of the coin determine if its of higher quality, why should the grading services determine what factors are more important in determining whether a coin is star or not. Some folks may like specific variables such as strike, luster, rather than color, etc.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    No. It would just be more mud. 11 unc and proof designations are plenty.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I vote "YES". It is really difficult to capture a coin's essence in static photos. I would like PCGS to adopt a system for identifying the BETTER HALF of coins at all grades from an eye appeal point of view. Nobody is in a better position to render that judgement than their graders.

PCGS leads the sight-unseen market, in moderns anyway (my niche), and I suspect recognition of the better quality coins at all grades could help the internet market and I believe it would help PCGS turnstiles.

I think it would help me bacause I make the coins I sell so they generally have superior eye appeal.

Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    sounds like an argument to go from 70 grading levels to 140. maybe 280.

resubmissions aplenty !
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    Nope!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    VamGuyVamGuy Posts: 1,624

<< <i>No.

Edited to elaborate- The NGC star designation is used to distinguish coins that are supposed to be 'cooler' than all the others. In that way, I think it influences potential buyers of the coin and removes a bit of the subjectivity. The buyer then assumes that this star coin is indeed 'cooler' that non-star coins. And the star creates a premium, whether the coin is truly better or not. A buyer should determine for himself (or herself) whether a coin is exceptional, not let a company's opinion put one coin over another comparable example.

-Amanda >>

And the EXACT same thing could be said about the numerical grade assigned to a coin. image

Star designations, and numerical grades, are equally nothing more than opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No.

-Amanda >>

And the EXACT same thing could be said about the numerical grade assigned to a coin. image

Star designations, and numerical grades, are equally nothing more than opinion. >>

Exactly!

-Amanda

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No...

because beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not the person who decides what goes on the holder.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Can't Hurt, and would be an additional revenue generator---similar to First Strike !!
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Yes, PQ for the grade is an old concept.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I agree with Amanda's reasoning on this one.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Should or would you like to see PCGS..

....issue a meaningful guaranty of authenticity--ABSOLUTELY!!!
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Freakin' no way- the ngc star system is a complete joke- most of the star coins I see are not worthy of any special designation....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC's decision to implement the "*" designation (MOST LIKELY) had alot to do with declining submissions. Over the years before the "*" debut, NGC had grossly abused (AND THEY STILL DO) the technical grades of MS66 and MS67. They practically grade every coin that comes their way MS66 and MS67. All you need to do to see this fact about NGC is to go to the Heritage auction website, they list the NGc and PCGS pops for every coin they auction. So the "*" designation is basically just that, it's nothing more than an excuse to elevate their coin submissions. So basically again, the only coins that may be of any quality are the ones with this "*" designation but they haven't been able to get that right either. The first coin should have been graded MS67 with the star. The coin sports an EDS strike with no marks to speak of, not to mention the beautiful toning and luster this coin displays but instead they gave it a ??MS66?? The next coin, a 1964-D NGC MS67 that sold for $4000 recently thru Heritage had die erosion with several hits in the hair and a very weak strike as many details did not strike up. The coin is a total POS! If I were the new owner of this coin and upon receiving such a thing in the mail, it would have been rocketed overnight back to NGC is a heartbeat!
    PCGs hardly needs such a designation to increase it's submissions. There would be no point for a "*"-like designation. Many of the MS67 coins PCGS has graded are already of ultimate quality, they wouldn't need something to point that out to serious collectors. lol
    imageimage

Leo

Edited: Forgot pictures.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Grading is already a subjective thing......no way should they add more variables.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NGC star designation is used to distinguish coins that are supposed to be 'cooler' than all the others. In that way, I think it influences potential buyers of the coin and removes a bit of the subjectivity. The buyer then assumes that this star coin is indeed 'cooler' that non-star coins. And the star creates a premium, whether the coin is truly better or not. A buyer should determine for himself (or herself) whether a coin is exceptional, not let a company's opinion put one coin over another comparable example.

Amanda - I agree that "a buyer should determine" quality for himself. Unfortunately, our opinion is moot. PCGS is serving buyers that obviously disagree with us, people that have chosen to pay (directly or indirectly) for grading services. When serving that customer base, it is likely that a seemingly more precise grading opinion will be well received. So should PCGS do it? Yes, but only if they believe they can do it consistently.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Amanda - I agree that "a buyer should determine" quality for himself. Unfortunately, our opinion is moot. >>

Yes, that is unfortunate.

<< <i> PCGS is serving buyers that obviously disagree with us, people that have chosen to pay (directly or indirectly) for grading services. When serving that customer base, it is likely that a seemingly more precise grading opinion will be well received. So should PCGS do it? Yes, but only if they believe they can do it consistently. >>

That makes sense. Consistency is something I would hope TPGs like PCGS strive for.

-Amanda

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    no, i couldn't care less about silly stars on plastic holders.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file