Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1945 Jefferson DDR FS-30 - Close up picture for those that care - warning large photo

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool closeup!

That's my mother's birthyear so I bought her a DDR like this from Keets awhile ago...I think they are cool!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Nice photo, Vince! I would like to see it even larger to show STATES OF as there is nice doubling there, too.

Ken
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An excellent scan that shows
    what a doubled die looks like -

Simply compare the lettering to
    that of a coin with mechanical
    or machine doubling........
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Vince, nice coin. looks like a keeper!!!imageimage
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool picture.

I picked up two MS sets of 38-64 Jeffersons yesterday and while looking through them today found a 1945 P reverse double die that looks exactly like the pictured example.

Does anyone know what this double die nickel in say MS 63 or 64 would be valued at?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice pic. nice doubling.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great photo! It shows what it's all about. image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pic---better coinimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool picture.

I picked up two MS sets of 38-64 Jeffersons yesterday and while looking through them today found a 1945 P reverse double die that looks exactly like the pictured example.

Does anyone know what this double die nickel in say MS 63 or 64 would be valued at? >>

Awesome find! I sold a PCGS MS64 example on the BST last month for $280, Heritage has also sold a few recently in the same range ($250-300). In other words, that one coin probably paid for both sets.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

<< <i>An excellent scan that shows
    what a doubled die looks like -

Simply compare the lettering to
    that of a coin with mechanical
    or machine doubling........ >>

The best way I was told the difference is this...

Machine Doubling will never have 2 seperate serifs or ends where as Double Dies will. Nice coin as well.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I have found 2 of these so far.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Sean for the information. You are right, the 1945P DDR I found will more than pay for the two sets. On top of finding the DDR, in the same transaction I bought a 1959 proof set for $25.00 that has a half with a DCAM obverse and a moderately CAM reverse. No hairlines on the coin, one very small milk spot on the obverse and deep watery mirrors. The best 59 proof half I have found raw in almost 8 years of looking.

One of my better collecting days to be sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file