Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photos of "complete" barber dime set

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here are some photos of my barber dime set, complete except for the legendary 1894-S. This thread should just about kill the forum members who use slow dial-up connections. I would estimate that it took me about 40 hours to take and process all of these photos, considering all the time to get the lighting just right and get the images completely in focus.

Hope you enjoy looking at these.

Comments

• Options
    Sweet!

Make PCGS give you a PL on the 1911.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are some photos (including many new ones) of my barber dime set. This ought to just about kill the dial-uppers.

I somehow missed photographing the 1898-S, and it's at PCGS right now. Hope you enjoy looking at these.

image >>

I like the 1906-D the best. Some nice coins in there. I think the dialuppers are calling their phone or cable companies by about now.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good God man! You're officially numismatically cool image
  • Options
    Wow! What a great set!
  • Options
    Dig that 95-O!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

Thats a great set of Barber dimes! There a lot more interesting as a set.
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
  • Options
    Great job, Barndog- you just had to copy all the pictures and re-post them to double the size of the post! Collectors Universe is going to see smoke pouring out of their servers in 10 minutes or so as this thread eats up 101% of their available bandwidth. Anyone else want to tack on photos of complete sets of Barber quarters and halves? That would really be funny.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chaaaa Ching! Boy, that 1895 trio set is a beaut!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Very nice collection, here is the only one I have at the moment..

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great job, Barndog- you just had to copy all the pictures and re-post them to double the size of the post! Collectors Universe is going to see smoke pouring out of their servers in 10 minutes or so as this thread eats up 101% of their available bandwidth. Anyone else want to tack on photos of complete sets of Barber quarters and halves? That would really be funny. >>

I wish I could access my photobucket account...

• Options
    Beautiful set Ron, it's the kind of set that you dream about owning.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow- every one of those is at least 50 grade pts better than mine.image
    Very nice set.!!

Where is the 1894-S ? image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhedden,

You owe me $150. My modem just melted. image

By the way, the 1899-S and 1894-O both look polished. What's up? Aside from these two coins, your collection looks incredible.

I love the 1906-D.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful set Ron, it's the kind of set that you dream about owning. >>

• Options
    By the way, the 1899-S and 1894-O both look polished. What's up? Aside from these two coins, your collection looks incredible.

They had this awful red, blue, and green rainbow target toning, so I took them to the shop and put them on the buffing wheel for a while.image

The 1894-O, 1899-S, and 1911-D are all lightly polished. I like the 1894-O enough that I don't want to part with it, but the 1899-S and 1911-D are due for an upgrade. The 1902-O needs replacing too, as it has scratches on the reverse. Keep in mind that I didn't select these coins myself, as I bought this set intact (cheating). The 1911-D should be an easy one to replace, and the 1899-S is also surprisingly available in high grades these days.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An awesome set, rhedden! I don't see many of these sets even in Good and worse grades! Very, very nice set! image
    Do you plan to get the 1905-micro o, the 1893/2 and the 1894-S?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Do you plan to get the 1905-micro o, the 1893/2 and the 1894-S?

Upgrades of the few inferior pieces are top priority. Eventually, I'd like to have the 1893/2 and the 1905-o micro-o, however. The 1894-s is just out of my league, big-time.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pics and Barber dime collection. Thanks for sharing...MIke
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Even though the '94-S might be out of the question for you (very few this wouldn't be true of), the rest of the set is super impressive. The focal '95-O is a beauty and the rest builds nicely from there. I would want to replace the few wiped/cleaned ones but, even if you keep 'em, it's your set.

Mine averages more like problem-free G to F, which is what I wanted to collect the whole set in. Separately, I do have some nice VF-AU-58's of a few better dates, but I keep them separate (don't care for sets with a smattering of VF-XF but the balance is G-VG.)
  • Options
    ok I'm jealous now...
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    nice set. Where's the 94S?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I should have downloaded a photo of a nice '94-S and just stuck it in there like I own it.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    That is a sweet collection! Can you go back and add all the grades for us....j/k. Totally awesome image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Best post of the year!!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Ron,

When I said you can post any of your dimes anytime, that we'd love to see them...I never expected to see the entire set.

Excellent collection !!!

I can't even think of how much time it took to assemble that set; yes, I know you bought a large group recently, but the time involved in assembling this set - well, it just boggles the mind.

Great images too.

This is one thread that I'm subscribing to so I can review these coins at leisure.

Thanks for taking the time to post this thread !

Here's one of the few images I have ...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Thats a Killer set!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful, what an achievement.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats sick image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file