Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is a Columbian 50C in NGC MS64PL* worth???

There is an NGC MS64PL* Columbian 50C on eBay that claims to be the first Columbian PL Half with the coveted *STAR*. How much is it worth to you?

The seller is asking a hefty $975 BIN.

Comments

• Options
    777777 Posts: 1,056
    I would say about $300. now if it were 65pl* , chances are it would be gone..
  • Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    FWIW, the exact coin sold at Heritage in November of last year for $488.75.
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Is it the 1892 or 1893?

Will it cross to PCGS for MS65? If not I might bid between $235 - 270 for either or. But it is not worth $1000.

IMHO
    Tim
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FWIW, the exact coin sold at Heritage in November of last year for $488.75. >>

That was an online only HRC auction, and this coin has been up for resale on Ebay now for the third time.

The problem with this coin pricing is that the jump from MS64 (bid $155) to MS65 (bid $730) is huge, and this coin is not MS65. In the past few years, 1893 Columbians in NGC MS65 PL have not brought much of a premium for the PL, really not much more than non-PL PCGS MS65s. This star seller obviously is trying to get full MS65PL money for this coin.

There is a certain 1892 NGC MS64PL that sold for $224 on 5/9/05 in HRC auction. This exact coin has now been offered 13 more times with a lowest initial bid offer of $325. Some poor collector bought the coin 12/19/05 on Teletrade for $426. Hard to believe someone would pay more than $250 for this coin.image

This 1893 NGC MS64PL Star has some nasty reverse marks on the sails. There are also some dark streaks on the obverse, and a couple tiny black spots on the reverse. I am assuming the mirrors are what earned it the star, since there is no toning. I think this coin is way overgraded and worth MS63PL money, about $200. I have 10 NGC Columbians in my collection in grades MS63-65, all labeled PL. This star coin is not as nice as the poorest in my collection.

HRC link to this star coin
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    There is an NGC MS64PL* Columbian 50C on eBay that claims to be the first Columbian PL Half with the coveted *STAR*. How much is it worth to you?

$375
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe there is/was a 66*PL monster toner on Teletrade....
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>I believe there is/was a 66*PL monster toner on Teletrade.... >>

That was one of two 1892 Columbian NGC MS66*PLs, and it did not meet reserve after two tries. The other one sold with HRC last Fall for $2,014.
  • Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    I am assuming the mirrors are what earned it the star, since there is no toning.

NCS has a tendency to give certain Commems the PL* designation after they've blasted the living crap out of them, looks like that is what happened with this coin.
  • Options
    The seller now has the coin up again on Ebay. This time he raised the starting bid to $875.image
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭
    "PCGS Pop 0/0" PCGS doesnt even use the star designation!?!?!?!?!?!

Terribly Confused about this one... imageimage

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    Another 1893 Columbian NGC 64PL star just sold on ebay for $449. The coin was labeled wrongly by NGC as 1892, and listed as such in the auction title. This is one beautiful Columbian PL.

ebay link
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Another 1893 Columbian NGC 64PL star just sold on ebay for $449. The coin was labeled wrongly by NGC as 1892, and listed as such in the auction title. This is one beautiful Columbian PL.

ebay link >>

Dang! That is a nice one... And I'm not usually very excited about Columbian halves!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That last coin is not labeled as PL, and I doubt it truly looks as it does in the turbo charged images.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>That last coin is not labeled as PL, and I doubt it truly looks as it does in the turbo charged images. >>

I was hoping nobody noticed the lack of PL so quickly in the thread. Anyway, my point was to have members examine the look of Columbians that are with and without the star, and with and without the PL on the label.

For me, the Columbian design is one of the best Classic Commems, and because they minted so many so long ago, there are lots of superb naturally toned examples. There is little reason to buy a Columbian that has any problems at all.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file