Home U.S. Coin Forum

Justice Department states use of Liberty Dollar is a crime

Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields

Comments

• I am confused, are they talking about ASEs?

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    No, they're talking about this crap.
  • zennyzenny Posts: 1,547 ✭✭
    Bernard von Not Haus??????????????

awful close to, oh, never mind......
  • Circulating them is illegal, but not making them and "confusingly" inferring they are legal and constitutional. Yeah, that'll put a stop to the scam. Sounds like Bernie's gonna do OK.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF (and that is one huge IF) this paper is truly backed by precious metal, and freely exchangable for same, I could see these getting popular.

However, in 99% of such schemes I have read about, the metal doesn't really exist. It's the old, "we'll store your gold for you where it is safe" story.
  • I have to admit I thought they could be legally passed but they are right. After reading Title 18 Sec 486 I would have to agree they are illegal, as are any metal token such as video game tokens, the metal Casio tokens or any other type of metal token. On the other hand the Norfed paper money does NOT violate Title 18 Sec 486 as that sec only related to metal issues. Sec 487 does deal with paper or plastic issues, but it only makes them illegal if used with intent to defraud. (Sec 486 and the metal coins does not restrict it to use with fraudulent intent. ANY use is illegal.) So there is no law that says you have to use legal tender, but they do seem or are trying to make it illegal to use anything else.

They are wrong about one thing though, Article 1 Section 8 clause 5 of the Constitution does not give Congress the exclusive right to coin (create) money. It gives Congress that right and forbids it to the individual states, but it does not forbid the individual citizens from doing so. (The Constitution is a document that defines which governmental powers the Federal government has and which the States have. It does not get specificly into what powers individual citizens have.)
  • 500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    They are being careful to state that the "coins" are illegal, and not mentioning the notes that represent silver/gold. The Constitution only mentions coins, nothing about notes.
    Finem Respice
  • The Constitution mentions money, "to coin" means to create Congress was given the power to create money and regulate its value.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Let's see here.

Private citizens can't create "money" even if backed by precious metals but the government can produce money by fiat.

Private citizens are prohibited from selling Ponzi schemes for "consumer protection" but the government does it and calls it "Social Security."

Private businesses are prohibited from holding the descendants of debtors liable for the debts of their ancestors, but in "deficit spending" and the "national debt" the government does just that -- holds future generations financially liable for the "national charge card" used by their ancestors.

Do as I say, not as I do? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file