Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What the devil gives with the Mint and the Eagle 20th Anniversary sets?

I find it hard to believe that the gold/silver and 3 coin silver sets aren't sold out.
USAF vet 1951-59

Comments

• Options
    BELIEVE!
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    everyone wants the reverse proof gold.

if that wasn't in there (and the silver reverse proof), this'd be a profound flopper.

if they had a combo set of both the reverse proof ASE and AGE, and priced it at 10k only 3k sets, numbered. they'd sell out in an hour.
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

<< <i>I find it hard to believe that the gold/silver and 3 coin silver sets aren't old out. >>

The production number of the three coin silver sets is pretty high so I'm not surprised that it isn't sold out. I wouldn't be surprised if the gold/silver set sells out soon. However, it being an unc set might not have collectors as excited as they might be if were a proof coin set. I wish they had made a two coin reverse proof gold and silver set.
  • Options
    I can't help but wonder if people don't realize that the uncirculated silver eagle in the set is a burnished planchet and to have a W mint mark according to the US Mint site. This will not be a regular uncirc silver eagle.
  • Options
    Isnt the silver coin in the gold/silver set the same as in the three silver coin set?
  • Options
    keez, that's a good point. you just got me to order the gold/silver unc set with the W mintmark. this makes the coin a subtype of the normal line,
    and since the 10k mintage of the 3-coin gold set is gone (I regret not order it now though I was on the website in time), this is the only way to get a gold uncirc with the "W" mintmark.
    I guess total mintage of the gold unc "W" will be 30k , unless they increase production.

at this point Im wondering if I should have held on to my AGE 2006 proof, but I couldn't resist selling it for 1.3k when I originally purchased at 680 or whatever the initial price was.
    I guess I can't kick myself for locking in 100% profit.

ah well.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Both the coins in the 2 coin gold/silver sets are unique. The gold uncirculated coin carries a W mint mark and is limited to a mintage of 30,000. The uncirculated silver coin also carries a W and is limited to 270,000.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Something is very wrong. The remaining two sets should have

sold out long ago. The Mint has had more then enough time to gather a list

of back up orders to cover cancellations. Thus , what skullduggery is the Mint

contemplating now?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Something is very wrong. The remaining two sets should have

sold out long ago. Yhe Mint has had more then enough time to gather a list

of back up orders to cover cancellations. Thus , what skullduggery is the Mint

contemplating now? >>

Michael
  • Options
    I Agree, the Mint should have taken enough back orders if everyone cancelled twice! Maybe everyone will receive no more than one set. Ya never know.
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
  • Options
    To tell you the truth, I think their billing department is far behind in doing their work or screwed up some how...They Charged me twice for a Gold Buffalo and have not corrected it yet...I called my credit card company and denied the charge for one of them...and it has been over a month now...I am going to call again tomorrow.
  • Options

<< <i>To tell you the truth, I think their billing department is far behind in doing their work or screwed up some how...They Charged me twice for a Gold Buffalo and have not corrected it yet...I called my credit card company and denied the charge for one of them...and it has been over a month now...I am going to call again tomorrow. >>

I thought they weren't supposed to charge your credit card until the item is to ship?image
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I have a funny feeling the mint is going to reduce the number of coins in each order. That way the dispersion of sets will go to a greater number of people. Mint probably figured out how much speculating was going on and want to find a way to make things fair for everyone. I think they had a sell out on the 3 coin gold sets before they figured this out. Just my little theory. Absolutely no proof but why else would they keep taking orders when we are almost certain there have been enough coins sold for a sell out.
  • Options
    I'm on an ancient lap top and lost what I just posted, but will try again. I went to the Mint site again -- usmint.gov -- and under the pressroom link on the side nav bar there is a link for the press release of the 20th anniv american eagle sets. If I read it correctly, it looks like the same uncirc silver coin for both the 2-coin set and the 3-coin set. Interestingly, it also refers to the uncircs as silver coins and differentiates them from the regular uncirculated bullion.

I ordered the silver set, couldn't afford the gold.

<< <i>American Eagle Gold and Silver Uncirculated Coins are being introduced in 2006. These coins feature the same finish as their bullion counterparts, but unlike the American Eagle Bullion Coins, the American Eagle Uncirculated Coins bear the mint mark of the facility that produces them and follow a different path through the manufacturing process. Specifically, the planchets used for American Eagle Uncirculated Coins are burnished, while those used for American Eagle Bullion Coins are not. >>

edited to add link -- Link to above referenced page on mint site

• Options
    I thought they weren't supposed to charge your credit card until the item is to ship?

That has been my experience in the past. Although I have had them check available funds at the time of the order.

Here is what the mint has to say about the limits imposed:

To ensure the broadest and most fair access to this United States Mint product, the order limit is in effect during the first thirty (30) days of release. At the end of the initial thirty-day period, and each thirty-day period thereafter, the United States Mint will reevaluate and either extend, adjust or remove the limit.

Maybe they are doing some adjusting here????

• Options
    You guys are reading your fears into what the mint is saying...
    They are simply trying to say that they are covering their butts in case the sales aren't quite what they expected.
    The limits are only on the number that can be ordered by one buyer, not on what they will have delivered in the end.
    In other words, the 10 unit per customer limit is, by law, enforced for the first 30 days, if necessary, and can then be reevaluated and increased if supplies remain. The mint is not going to cut orders that were placed under those restrictions.
  • Options
    Lets face it we were wrong, I figured on a quick sell out also. Forget the conspiracy theories. Remember no one wanted the 95-W either.
  • Options
    I agree.... forget the conspiracy theories. It's just possible that there was too much being offered to collectors this year and these sets are just selling slower than they would have if there wasn't a gold buffalo, regular issue eagles and two silver commems and one gold commem... whew...

A little off-topic, but why didn't the Mint offer a gold/silver combo set on the San Fran commems? They've done it before, why not now?
  • Options
    Well I think I figured out why they aren't selling so quickly. Looks like the US Mint is going to sell the "new silver uncirculated coin" for $19.95 -- see press release -- New american eagle uncirculated coin

<< <i>... introduction of American Eagle Uncirculated Coins in silver, gold and platinum. >>

It will be in their Christmas catalog. Looks like also the gold and platinum too.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A magician NEVER tells his secrets !

.......but the bottom line:
    shhhhhh, it's a secret.
  • Options
    Uncirculated platinum coin now available too !! The US Mint wants to expand beyond Proof sales of the gold, silver and platinum eagles
  • Options
    Just saw the Mint's TV commercial. Maybe they are trying to figure out how to pay for the new promotion campaign!
    JP
  • Options
    Are the new Eagles out September 28th the same as the eagles in the American Eagle 20th Anniversary Gold & Silver Set (A11) ?

New Unc Eagles
    Struck on specially burnished blanks, the American Eagle Uncirculated Coins feature a finish similar to their bullion counterparts, but carry the "W" mint mark reflecting their striking at the United States Mint at West Point. Each coin is encapsulated in plastic and accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity.

20th Anniversary
    Highlighting the program’s new uncirculated option for 2006, this limited-edition set features one-ounce coins in both gold and silver. For the first time ever, the United States Mint is pleased to offer American Eagle Uncirculated Coins with a “W” mint mark indicating their production at the United States Mint at West Point.

Do the specially burnished blanks make them different?

• Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Dammit. They are selling the Unc "W" version alone now too?!

If they end up putting the reverse proof up by itself as well you may as well forget speculative purchases. They are the only coin left that is unique to the set.

I would also bet the SAE dealers aren't too happy about it either since the Mint usually stays away from the business strike sales.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    the mint has now decided to be:

the new clown on the block image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    $19.95 for the silver uncirc.

Also check out the scheduled products page

• Options
    Where is the scheduled products page?
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks, Looks like they're going to offer another Westward Journey Nickel Series™ Coin Set too. I don't see any reverse proofs scheduled. Thank you Lord!
  • Options
    So the two piece silver/gold set will now be available as single coins?

Pfft! How do you spell cancelled order?

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Yes, they are available as singles. $720 for the gold and $19.95 for the silver. That's $110.05 less then the set.image
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    If I read all this correctly one can buy an uncirculated burnished 2006 silver eagle with the W mint mark as a single for $19.95. One can also buy an uncirculated 2006 1 oz gold coin with the W mint mark for $720. Buying the coins seperately comes to $739.95. The two coin gold and silver set has both these coins for $850. Am I missing something here?

Edit: yeah, I forgot about the box the two coin set comes in - must be a fancy box for $110.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    Can we be certain the W coins are the same?

If they're the same except for package $850 - $739.95 = $110.05 saved to cancel.

From above post ...

Are the new Eagles out September 28th the same as the eagles in the American Eagle 20th Anniversary Gold & Silver Set (A11) ?

New Unc Eagles
    Struck on specially burnished blanks, the American Eagle Uncirculated Coins feature a finish similar to their bullion counterparts, but carry the "W" mint mark reflecting their striking at the United States Mint at West Point. Each coin is encapsulated in plastic and accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity.

20th Anniversary
    Highlighting the program’s new uncirculated option for 2006, this limited-edition set features one-ounce coins in both gold and silver. For the first time ever, the United States Mint is pleased to offer American Eagle Uncirculated Coins with a “W” mint mark indicating their production at the United States Mint at West Point.

Do the specially burnished blanks make them different?
  • Options
    Wow. They are going to see a LOT of cancelled sales. Frankly, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. In addition, they are putting the proof designs of the platinum coins onto these "new" uncirculated platinums. This makes the proof platinums just a little bit less unique which I'm sure will make platinum collectors happy. Frankly, this is just retarded.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    Thats it!!!! I'm out. 20 bucks 2006W, 27 bucks proof = 53 bucks reverse proof. They're screwing the pooch. And I'm the pooch!!!
  • Options
    I plan on calling the mint tomorrow and expressing my displeasure. If they wanted to release uncirculated versions so that more people could have them, then fine. But bending all of us over and raping us like they have with the prices is simply unacceptable. I am going to ask to either have a hundred dollar bill placed into this fancy "box", or to have the Silver Set sent to me for free. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options

<< <i>I plan on calling the mint tomorrow and expressing my displeasure. If they wanted to release uncirculated versions so that more people could have them, then fine. But bending all of us over and raping us like they have with the prices is simply unacceptable. I am going to ask to either have a hundred dollar bill placed into this fancy "box", or to have the Silver Set sent to me for free. image >>

Bet they listen too image
  • Options
    Well I maxxed out on the sets, 2 on the 3 piece AGE, 10 of the 2 piece and 10 of the silver.

The silver is still a play at 100, the 2 piece is a disaster and I'm cancelling those, the 3 piece AGE is still a super winner.

This is the dumbest marketing move the mint has ever made

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I love the US Mint.

Yup love em so much I just went to pay a friendly house call - to cancel on my 10 Silver sets and my 1 - Gold n Silver 2-coin set. Couldn't do it - said my order was in process!

Jerks! I'll just return whatever it is they're sending me that's all.

I've about had it with those Mint people.

What next/ Reverse Gold Proof Eagles available as singles? Anything for a buck - baby. image
  • Options
    you can still cancell when in process
  • Options
    What is the cancel process?
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I read all this correctly one can buy an uncirculated burnished 2006 silver eagle with the W mint mark as a single for $19.95. One can also buy an uncirculated 2006 1 oz gold coin with the W mint mark for $720. Buying the coins seperately comes to $739.95. The two coin gold and silver set has both these coins for $850. Am I missing something here?

Edit: yeah, I forgot about the box the two coin set comes in - must be a fancy box for $110. >>

But 2 boxes, if buying the AE Unc Gold & Unc Silver coins separately, should cost the Mint more than 1 box containing both coins - AE gold and silver . How come a collector has to pay $110 more?
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    Go to your order. Near the bottom of the page is a cancel button.

Mike
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options

<< <i>So the two piece silver/gold set will now be available as single coins?

Pfft! How do you spell cancelled order? >>

funk dat. Im cancelling my order immediately for the 2 coin set.
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I just canceled my order for 3 of the 2 coin sets. It looks to me like the reverse proofs of both the gold and silver coins will be the only winners - unless the mint starts selling them as singles.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just canceled my order for 3 of the 2 coin sets. It looks to me like the reverse proofs of both the gold and silver coins will be the only winners - unless the mint starts selling them as singles. >>

Let's hope not. image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    That was easy cancelled my three 2 coin sets. Thank's everyone, this board continues to save my butt.
  • Options

<< <i>I plan on calling the mint tomorrow and expressing my displeasure. If they wanted to release uncirculated versions so that more people could have them, then fine. But bending all of us over and raping us like they have with the prices is simply unacceptable. I am going to ask to either have a hundred dollar bill placed into this fancy "box", or to have the Silver Set sent to me for free. image >>

Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes. As for myself, I'll keep the ASE sets.
    What do you think, Mr. Bigglesworth?
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Seems a little premature to be canceling orders.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭
    don't think the mint's credibility could possibly go lower than how they've handled this 20th anniversay set sale, but you never know!

First they advertise the original sale poorly. They allow 10 sets per household, instead of spreading the issue more broadly. Then they prevent the website from taking orders without notice. The next day they take orders but don't let anyone know whether they will acutally receive the coins or not. They won't provide you with any kind of physical statement that absolutely confirms that you will receive the coins you ordered, other than the statement that they will be shipped on a certain date. The operators who handle orders tell you contradictory information whether or not you are due to receive the set; for the last week the shipping date on the gold sets has exteded from September 23 to 9/24, to 9/25, to 9/26, to 9/27 to 9/28, to 10/1, AND IF THAT WASN'T FRUSTRATING ENOUGH??? They announce yesterday the sale of individual burnished planchet silver and gold eagles bearing the W mintmark for substantially lower prices than the combined coins are sold in the sets!

Of course they didn't post a statement saying the 2 coin set had sold out yet...they anticipated a significant number of cancellations!

While they state in their original press release anouncing the 20th Anniversary Sets that the mintage of the reverse-proof coins "are only available in the three-coin sets that celebrate the 20th anniversary of the American Eagle Programs" there are ways that the mint can find their way around that. What about a 3 coin 20th anniversary reverse proof with S-D & W mint marks? They could simply announce a correction to the press release and mint as many as they'd like.

In my opinion, the mint has taken something that should have been special that could have attracted many more new collectors into the hobby and turned it into a mess. Thankfully we can take advantage of the mint's cancellation policy!

I thought how they handled the Buffallo Gold coin was bad--but this takes the cake!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file