Home Metal Detecting
Options

foreign coin ID help please

my son Paul found this today at the same place i found the 1814 capped bust dime last year .
it has to be mid 1800 or older .
i think it is foreign .
it is the size of a quarter .
one side is smooth . we can't see any detail at all .
the other all we can make out for now is guessing . we are going to clean it a bit and see if we can see more .
take a look at the pix . the last pic will have a great drawing that i did of what we can see for now . the second pic will show the stuff on the edge .

any input would be help full
thanx vincent

Comments

• Options
    a new pic after a little cleanning
    thanx vincent
  • Options
    It looks Canadian. One of the Georges, like V or VI.

A canadian quarter, I bet.

Cool!

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    My wild guess would be French Consulship coinage (Napoleon as first consul)
    I think I'm seeing traces of "Bonaparte" on the left side of the obverse, which would make the full legend "BONAPARTE PREMIER CONSUL"
    Edited to add: The bust position with the neck ending between B and O would match this design as well. I believe the bust faces the wrong way for it to be a Canadian George V or VI quarter.

Is it lighter or heavier than a US quarter? A 1 Franc coin would be 5 grams and a 2 Francs is 10g.

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

thanx for the help . what date is that coin ?
    i got some help on the wourld coin page and thay came up with the 1803 5 francs .
    this was on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANCE-LAN-12K-1803-5-Francs-Napoleon-Silver-Crown_W0QQitemZ180025311357

thanx so much . my son is 13 and his oldest was a 1853 seated dime . now he has me beat . mine is a 1814 capped bust dime .
    HH vincent
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Ha! Seems we have some agreement.

The Napoleon consulship coins are 1799-1804. You probably won't be able to determine the date of yours, as it's on the reverse..

I doubt that it's a 5 Franc piece though, as those are massive coins, about the size of a US silver dollar.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Napoleonic silver! Whoah!

Edit to add: quarter-sized would be about right for a 1-franc piece, maybe?

Zot beat me to it, but I recognized the portrait as Napoleon as soon as I saw the first semicleaned picture.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.