Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Morgan images (BIG PICS)

Feel free to grade, cry "AT" or whatnot.

I have posted these coins before, but I just reimaged them. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA

Comments

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics! 58NT, 62PL, 63
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

Feel free to grade, cry "AT" or whatnot.

I have posted these coins before, but I just reimaged them. image

-Amanda >>

Is it my old eye's or is there a bit of doubling on the eights?

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Getting better with the camera. Amandaview™ image
  • Options

<< <i>Nice pics! 58NT, 62PL, 63 >>

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

It's your old eyes. That's a lighting effect.
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

<< <i>Getting better with the camera. Amandaview™ image >>

Thanks, Robert. image

Is it not too soon to ™ myself? image

-Amanda

• Options

<< <i>

It's your old eyes. That's a lighting effect. >>

Actually, the first 8 does exhibit some doubling. But yes, the lighting is creating an illusion.

-Amanda

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    I need new eye's image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Excellent job!image
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Those 1887-P ones with near dates always get my attention to look close, mainly for VAM-1B and VAM-2. Nice pics.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    PIcs a little bright. YOu got exposure compensation on that contraption?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Very nice Amanda!

I love both those 87s.

What camera are you using again?

Mark
    What do you think, Mr. Bigglesworth?
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice Amanda!

I love both those 87s.

What camera are you using again?

Mark >>

Thanks. image

I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-S90.

-Amanda

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    53, 62, 62
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Pretty good photos Amanda. If I may be so bold as to be critical in what I hope will prove a helpful way, you need a little more depth of field and just a little less light.

How far away is your camera to the coin and how far away is the light source? What type of light(s) are you using.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That toned 87 looks familar .........image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

<< <i>That toned 87 looks familar .........image >>

It should. image

-Amanda

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Amanda,
    I love the pics and only wish I could do so well. I can't grade morgans, so I won't.

I do have a question / observation though.... am I the only one who sees what almost appears to be a misplaced "s" in between the D and O of Dollar on the first coin shown?

• Options

<< <i>Pretty good photos Amanda. If I may be so bold as to be critical in what I hope will prove a helpful way, you need a little more depth of field and just a little less light.

How far away is your camera to the coin and how far away is the light source? What type of light(s) are you using.

image >>

Thanks. image

My camera is about 6 or so inches from the coin and my lighting is above that.

I am at as much DOF as I can get, I only have two settings- 5.6 and 2.8.

Oh wait, I was using 5.6. image

So I'll use 2.8 next time and maybe the slightly washed out look will diminish, too. image

I wish I had a DSLR. image

Someday! image

Thanks!

-Amanda

• Options
    real nice job re-imaging it image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

<< <i>real nice job re-imaging it image >>

Thanks! The first time I tried it looked really yellow. And then WB correction in the computer made it even worse!

-Amanda

• Options

heres the pics I had of that coin..........

• Options

Here is my first attempt. image

-Amanda

• Options
    Sorry, inquiring mind wants to know.

On the first coin pictured. To me anyway, in between the D and O of dollar, it appears that there is a misplaced "s" mintmark. Is it just the picture, or does the coin in hand look the same?
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, inquiring mind wants to know.

On the first coin pictured. To me anyway, in between the D and O of dollar, it appears that there is a misplaced "s" mintmark. Is it just the picture, or does the coin in hand look the same? >>

huh, I see it in the first pic , but not the one I posted,(and never noticed it when I had it in hand).....Amanda , whats up there?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sorry, inquiring mind wants to know.

On the first coin pictured. To me anyway, in between the D and O of dollar, it appears that there is a misplaced "s" mintmark. Is it just the picture, or does the coin in hand look the same? >>

huh, I see it in the first pic , but not the one I posted,(and never noticed it when I had it in hand).....Amanda , whats up there? >>

I don't see it on the pic or the coin.

What are you looking at?

-Amanda

• Options
    looks like there may be a misplace S mintmark somewhat attached to the bottom of the D on the rev?
  • Options
    I think its just a toning "flake" for lack of a better term, theres alot of Mottled tone on that coin
  • Options
    Circled what appears like an "s" mintmark.

• Options
    Hmm, okay I see something there, but I don't know what it is.

Probably a toning characteristic because it dissapears when you turn it a certain way.

-Amanda

PS- My eyes are really bad for close up stuff. image

• Options

<< <i>So I'll use 2.8 next time and maybe the slightly washed out look will diminish, too. >>

Actually, Amanda, for more depth of field you want a smaller aperture which means a bigger number. So, 5.6 in this case. Screwy, I know.

I agree with the others who said they were a bit over exposed. Another question, if I might, are you shooting with the camera set to full resolution (e.g. 4 megapixels/2304 x 1728)?
    Currently looking for space-themed coins as well as these wantlists:
    Buffalo Nickel Wantlist
    Circulated TypeSet Wantlist
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So I'll use 2.8 next time and maybe the slightly washed out look will diminish, too. >>

Actually, Amanda, for more depth of field you want a smaller aperture which means a bigger number. So, 5.6 in this case. Screwy, I know.

I agree with the others who said they were a bit over exposed. Another question, if I might, are you shooting with the camera set to full resolution (e.g. 4 megapixels/2304 x 1728)? >>

Yeah, the smaller aperture is 5.6. I learned on a real camera where you rotate the lens. image

I have it set on 4 mpxls, as high as it will go.

-Amanda

• Options
    Keep working on your images you will get them to where you want them to be. These coins would not be for me, but enjoy them!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file